New lubrication system upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 13
Default New lubrication system upgrades!

I haven't even got the pages put up on the site yet, but I thought I would let you guys be the first to know. There are lots of options including a new high flow oil pump system supplying 30 percent more oil over stock with bullet proof piece of mind. If you want an assembly just pm me and I'll get you an invoice through.

Price list is found here!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 3

PDF seems to be broken.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

Mine started ok, anyone else have problems with it?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat

Total Cats: 573

no problem, worked for me.

but you may want to better explain the difference between the hybrid and non-hybrid. or maybe I'm just dense. I *have* been on vacation....
Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

The main difference between them is that the aluminum iron hybrid is the OEM housing. The OEM housings are expensive, but it comes with some extra bits, and its got an aluminum mainbody casting with an iron back plate. Thats what I mean by hybrid.

The other housing we found is cheaper but its all aluminum. This means that both the body casting and the backplate are aluminum, so we're not sure about wear on these. They also come with a few less bits. We're putting together a baked on dry film cermaic lubricant for the all aluminum version and thats going into my car for wear testing. I have to believe its ok as we've talked to the manufacturer about this, but the dry film lubricant puts it well into safe range.

The whole idea behind the high flow versions is so that people can use lighter oils on their track days without running into a low pressure situation. These keep the fluid coming even with an oil cooler, vvt, turbocharger, and wider clearances in a race motor. So you can run an 0w-30 or 5w-30 and still get the pressure of a 20w-50 when its warmed up. At the same time, you get more flow, and faster flow to the bearing just after starting up so it really increases the life of the motor because you can use a lighter oil, and you get more oil per turn.

I know there are lots of options but I wanted to have everyone be able to be included in getting a quality indestructible part. There is a cheap highflow version, and there is a cheap bullet proof version with just buying the gears. The other versions I would consider high end, and made for the plug and play guy. There isn't any messing with a core, assembling, checking clearances, or torque specs. You just order and a fresh pump built with your options arrives. Matt Andrews is running one of our remanufactured high flow pumps now, and he is going to be sending us logs soon with the increased oil pressures he's seen. His car is in excess of 400whp, so he really needed the protection of the gears, and the oil pressure is a major bonus when he's coming form a corner digging at 3000 RPMs. He gets a nice bump in oil pressure to make sure everything is well lubricated under the massive torque that motor can produce even at those speeds.

Last edited by TravisR; 05-28-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

These fit every miata besides 89-91.5 that uses the BP power plant. So every long nose crank is covered with these.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 7

PDF worked fine. I need to get around to installing these. Not to thread jack, did we determine that unless there is visible wear the gears can be dropped in without machining of the pump housing?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Elite Member

Well you need to user a feeler to check them, but there are ALOT of people using them drop in. The only cars that haven't been drop in are the 01-05 with the newer gears. Housing wear is really bad in those years regardless of the number of miles.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 AM
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat

Total Cats: 573

guess I'll be sending back my spare pump and billet gears to get the reman high flow setup.

btw, what all does that include?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Here’s How I would sum it up.

Billet oil pump gears: DIY, Good longevity as long as installer doesn’t skimp on install procedure, no gaskets/seals supplied.

Aluminum housing: Plug and play, Good longevity, stock flow, all but main oil port o-ring and pickup gasket supplied.

Iron hybrid housing: Plug and play, Best longevity, stock flow, and all the OEM parts supplied

Remanufactured high flow: DIY, high flow, Good longevity as long as installer doesn’t skimp on install procedure, no gaskets/seals supplied.

Aluminum housing high flow: Plug and play besides needing to find a few gaskets, Good longevity, high flow, all but main oil port o-ring and pickup gasket supplied.

Iron hybrid housing high flow: Plug and play, Best longevity, high flow, and all the OEM parts supplied

When I say longevity, I don’t mean things exploding. I just mean that the wear is increased, and at some point aluminum is going to lose to iron in wear tests.

So the way I set this up is that I wanted everyone to be able to play. So the billet oil pump gears alone in the first of the first 3 options does just that. We cut a set of gears that fit loose, but still function properly.

The next two items are the 2 different housings we can offer that are assembled but the housings themselves aren’t machined. We take a set of gears that sized slightly large and grind them for perfect fit inside the housing. Then we assemble the units with pre-lube and torque everything to spec. There are two housings first an all aluminum housing. This is a cheaper housing, but I believe it’s a better casting then the OEM. Its smoother on the inside, but the back plate is aluminum. I’m a firm believer that OEM designed the rear plate to be cast iron for a reason, but after a couple phone calls to the manufacturer they have said they tested these for wear, and they came out fine. So that’s an option. Then the other option is the OEM style housing. These are expensive, they come with an iron back plate just like stock and they come with a couple of extra gaskets/seals that the aluminum housings don’t.

The next 3 options which represent the high flow side of things are setup in a same kind of manner. The first option which is a “remanufactured high flow oil pump” is a way for us to get people in at the entry level. We require a workable core for this option. We don’t provide any gaskets/seals or any work on the relief valve assembly but, with every option we set whatever housing option you choose down in the mill, and mill that housing out to work with the big high flow pumps. After we mill it and clean it we take an oversized-oversized gear and grind it down to a perfect fit in the housing. The cheapest option of the high flow set is basically just a machining and fit. We check everything one last time, we assemble with lube, and we torque the parts up to spec.