Trackspeed NA/NB EFR Turbo Kits - Available Now - Page 21 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #401
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,132
Total Cats: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Size of the ear after removal:
I half expect to see a necklace made out of these things hanging on the wall in your shop
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #402
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,854
Total Cats: 871
Default

I am trying to figure out who is going to run a TSE setup with a 5 speed.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #403
afm
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 506
Total Cats: 47
Default

Dyno reclassed TT cars gaming their dyno plots?
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #404
Junior Member
 
farpolemiddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Lents, Oregon
Posts: 437
Total Cats: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
I am trying to figure out who is going to run a TSE setup with a 5 speed.
I will be until I shred it. But I will also be running a stock block as well. Lets see what goes first. I will be using the low boost actuator to buy a little time. Was seriously going to build my current block but it just makes more sense to track down a VVT motor and 6 speed and do that all at once.
farpolemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #405
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,227
Total Cats: 440
Default

I'm just loving that part of the instructions for this amazing kit for installation with a 5-speed car will require use of a sawzall.

Last edited by turbofan; 09-23-2016 at 01:59 PM.
turbofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #406
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 16,276
Total Cats: 1,135
Default

aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #407
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,854
Total Cats: 871
Default

TSE will now also be renting out FaeFlora to do the dirty work for you.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #408
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 16,276
Total Cats: 1,135
Default

He can also cut the transmission for you too. But the dirty work is where the real money is.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #409
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 423
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
TSE will now also be renting out FaeFlora to do the dirty work for you.
But can he stop at just one ear?
Lokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #410
Junior Member
 
farpolemiddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Lents, Oregon
Posts: 437
Total Cats: 37
Default

I really need to carve out a couple of days and finish writing the instructions,


This. My noob *** is going to seriously need some type of instructions. Including some things that might be considered common sense. I am hoping to not bug the **** out of you with endless emails starting with "How do you..."
farpolemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #411
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 117
Total Cats: 2
Default

I am running a 5 speed for a while. But 5th is now kicking out so 6 will be in there soon as i get it in.
Are you guys aware Bosch white papers say the 4.2 and 4.9 both are to run a temp of 900 C. Yes C. Max temp is 1000 C. So unless you are running more than 1700 f. Egt you are below operating temp according to Bosch. I run as close as possible. We run the airplane at 5 1/4 from the head. 7 inches Max from the valve. They last longer than in the car.
Justaturbo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #412
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,799
Total Cats: 1,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaturbo95 View Post
I am running a 5 speed for a while. But 5th is now kicking out so 6 will be in there soon as i get it in.
Are you guys aware Bosch white papers say the 4.2 and 4.9 both are to run a temp of 900 C. Yes C. Max temp is 1000 C. So unless you are running more than 1700 f. Egt you are below operating temp according to Bosch. I run as close as possible. We run the airplane at 5 1/4 from the head. 7 inches Max from the valve. They last longer than in the car.
Suit yourself. I've already killed one LSU4.9 sensor running it in the rear position in a track car. My recommendation is to run the rear position.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #413
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,132
Total Cats: 836
Default

I honestly think it has more to do with the number of heat cycles we put these things through than anything else.

Sav, any benefit to "upgrading" from the 4.2 to the 4.9? I believe my Innovate will let me do that if I change the cable and update the firmware, I just don't know if its worth it.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #414
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,799
Total Cats: 1,016
Default

Not sure, the switch happened just before I put the MS3 in Acamas so I ended up with all 4.9 cars by happenstance.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #415
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 16,276
Total Cats: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
I honestly think it has more to do with the number of heat cycles we put these things through than anything else.

Sav, any benefit to "upgrading" from the 4.2 to the 4.9? I believe my Innovate will let me do that if I change the cable and update the firmware, I just don't know if its worth it.
Don't you just have to buy the sensor? Like go to a parts store and pick up the beetle sensor or whatever. Let me know if you do. I want to do it too.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #416
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,799
Total Cats: 1,016
Default

I believe the connector is different, but don't quote me on that.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #417
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 16,276
Total Cats: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
I believe the connector is different, but don't quote me on that.
You are correct

Bosch LSU 4.2 and LSU 4.9 Multi-Sensor Support

And for $30 you can get just the cable and source your own sensor.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16364&cat=250&page=1

For you prime guys

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto.../dp/B013UG0MJE

https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Sensor...dp/B01FS949SG/

Gordon, buy all that and install it before MRLS.

*Disclaimer, I have not ordered any of this, nor know if it works.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #418
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 117
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Suit yourself. I've already killed one LSU4.9 sensor running it in the rear position in a track car. My recommendation is to run the rear position.
Hey, just sharing what bosch who designed the sensor says. Like i noted. Bosch says design temp 1700f. So sharing the info.
I am not on the track in my miata so can't say otherwise. But can say 100% in an aircraft they last longer than a miata with it lower in the pipe. Note i run them with extended mounts so not saturated in the exhaust stream. Tip is flush.
Was initially very worried about the aircraft mounting as we had no other location. Everyone says they won't last. Turns out they do very well. Even with lead contamination. So looked up bosch specs. Does sell more sensors i guess. My 4.9 has lasted longer than any i have had. It is running in stock header position. Being further downstream. Sensor response is better up close too.
Justaturbo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #419
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 13,799
Total Cats: 1,016
Default

Aircraft run lower EGTs as do NA cars. I've never had sensors survive in the upper pipe, and I've killed them in track cars in the lower position too. I wouldn't put it in the upper position.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 AM   #420
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NorthWest NJ
Posts: 927
Total Cats: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
I honestly think it has more to do with the number of heat cycles we put these things through than anything else.

Sav, any benefit to "upgrading" from the 4.2 to the 4.9? I believe my Innovate will let me do that if I change the cable and update the firmware, I just don't know if its worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
Don't you just have to buy the sensor? Like go to a parts store and pick up the beetle sensor or whatever. Let me know if you do. I want to do it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
You are correct

Bosch LSU 4.2 and LSU 4.9 Multi-Sensor Support

And for $30 you can get just the cable and source your own sensor.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16364&cat=250&page=1

For you prime guys

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto.../dp/B013UG0MJE

https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Sensor...dp/B01FS949SG/

Gordon, buy all that and install it before MRLS.

*Disclaimer, I have not ordered any of this, nor know if it works.
The upgrade works just dandy. We did it on my friend's car with an LC-2 when the connector managed to fall on the down pipe and melt. New cable and O2 sensor, switch it to 4.9 through the serial connection and it worked perfect.
x_25 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gauging interest for my mp62 kit (NB) williams805 Miata parts for sale/trade 6 12-07-2016 09:10 PM
The "parts I'll have for sale at MMRLS" sale thumpetto007 Miata parts for sale/trade 19 10-06-2016 05:03 PM
1990 1.6L G28 Turbo Tune Help matrussell122 MEGAsquirt 25 10-06-2016 12:17 PM
Lost thread on prefab turbo furiousbob Insert BS here 4 09-26-2016 01:14 PM
Time to step it up, thoughts? Hificruzer226 Engine Performance 4 09-24-2016 07:35 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.