Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FC RX7 Diff Housing Swap in 99 - Axle Reinstall Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Total Cats: 5
Default FC RX7 Diff Housing Swap in 99 - Axle Reinstall Issues

I recently picked up a rear end comprised of an FC RX7 housing with delrin bushing and a miata 3.9 torsen (from an unknown year).
After spending many hours trying to get it installed my 99 NB (to replace the OEM, open 4.3), I am finally turning to the forum for help, as i'm completely stuck at this point.

Problem: I cannot get the driver side axle all the way into the rear end. It's still seemingly about a 1/2 out. (See picture attached). While it FEELs seated, but it doesn't LOOK seated.
I was able to fully seat the passenger side.

Attempts:
I've removed the upper A-arm bold, the lower coilover bolt, the end link, and the caliper and have tried with the hub at all sorts of angles.
I've even been so desperate as to tap the back of the CV joint with a block of wood.
I've rotated the axle 45% and tried again (repeatedly) etc. all with no luck.

Is this a parts issuer, or user error?? :-\
Attached Thumbnails FC RX7 Diff Housing Swap in 99 - Axle Reinstall Issues-miata-axle-rx7-diff-case.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Update:
Even with the axle retainer clip removed, the axle does not go in any further.
I'm confident the end of the axle itself is bottoming out inside the diff.

This has to be an issue with this combination of parts. Ugh.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 497

I would try swapping axles and see what happens. If the problem moves to the other side, you know the axle is the problem. If the problem persist you know it's not the axle since that axle fit fine on the other side, and then you know it's an issue with the torsen. I have tapped on axles to get them to "snap" into the diff before. It usually dosn't take too much force but they don't just fall in. Sometimes if you get the spline lined up, then retract it some and jam it in, it goes. If you're won't go with the clip removed, that is not a good. Swap axles and see if problem moves.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:32 PM

Update 2:
From the looks of attached pictures, the previous owner left me a gift inside the dif.

I THINK i'm looking at a piece of broken axle (and it's accompanying clip) sitting inside the diff?
Or something much worse altogether :-\? F***!

Assuming it is a piece of broken axle, it doesn't even appear to line up with the gears. Do i have to drop the entire diff again to investigate :-\
Attached Thumbnails FC RX7 Diff Housing Swap in 99 - Axle Reinstall Issues-miata-axle-rx7-diff-case-inside-1.jpg   FC RX7 Diff Housing Swap in 99 - Axle Reinstall Issues-miata-axle-rx7-diff-case-inside-2.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Elite Member

If you see that piece with both axles removed, then yes absolutely there's a piece of broken axle in there. Which is not good. You can probably tap the broken piece out, then try to fish the clip out with some needle nose pliers. And hope the diff is otherwise ok.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 AM
Former Vendor

Total Cats: 2,102

Rest assured that it's nothing to do with the FC housing. I've had the same FC housing floating around between projects for several years now, first in Theseus with a 3.9 Torsen and now in Acamas with my 3.63 hi-power OSG. Never had an issue installing axles. Sure looks like a chunk of axle in there. You might be able to fish it out by prodding at it from the other side. Worst case, you have to drop the diff again, so pretty much anything you can try right now is worth doing.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 PM

Final Update:

After a LOT of time on my back, head resting on the inside of the control arm, looking down the axle shaft and into the diff, I was able to extract the clip and the broken piece of axle using a pick and some needle nose pliers. Unfortunately, I also nicked the seal between the axle and diff so I'm sure it's going to start leaking immediately. I have new ones on order now.

Even more unfortunate, I dropped a portion of the clip into the diff. I'm hoping it'll find its way to the bottom before reeking havoc.

Thanks Pat and Savington for the tips!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:53 PM
Elite Member

If you dropped a piece of metal in the diff, I would take it apart, find it, and remove it. If that piece gets between two teeth, it's going to at best cause damage, and at worst, break your new diff.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by patsmx5
If you dropped a piece of metal in the diff, I would take it apart, find it, and remove it. If that piece gets between two teeth, it's going to at best cause damage, and at worst, break your new diff.
Is there any way to separate the diff to get access to the inside of the case without dropping the entire diff?

I guess I could drop the driveshaft and PPF and try to pull the front half off. Even just writing that makes me think dropping the entire thing would be easier. F***.

I'll be trying to fish it out to the drain hole tonight.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
Is there any way to separate the diff to get access to the inside of the case without dropping the entire diff?

I guess I could drop the driveshaft and PPF and try to pull the front half off. Even just writing that makes me think dropping the entire thing would be easier. F***.

I'll be trying to fish it out to the drain hole tonight.
Probably not? I mean the diff hangs by the case. I guess you could try, and see what happens. I have always just pulled the diff first before taking it apart.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:34 PM

Well gents, this may be the luckiest night of my life...

My neighbor happened to have a flexible magnet JUST small enough to fit into the drain hole. After fishing around and expecting to get no where, I noticed the clip sitting at mouth of drain! I grabbed a pick and some pliers and with some finagling and some luck, I recovered the clip! It also just happened to be bent enough that It would fit through the hole.

Crazy if you ask me.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 544

This has been an extremely tense thread to read. Glad everything worked out peachy
Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Elite Member

Glad you got it out!