Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats. (https://www.miataturbo.net/)
-   Supercharger Discussion (https://www.miataturbo.net/supercharger-discussion-38/)
-   -   Swapping Superchargers Today! (https://www.miataturbo.net/supercharger-discussion-38/swapping-superchargers-today-27399/)

Toddcod 10-23-2008 06:36 PM

Swapping Superchargers Today!
 
I am in the prosess of swaping the supercharger on my brothers car to a sweet 90 miata that was owned by a old wealthy man. This car is the definition of a chick car.

I took off all the S/C goodies. And have replaced them with OEM. It fired right up. Now I need to swap the suspension.

Grandpa car just recieved the M45. Now I need to wire in the MSD, pick up a new belt, fuel hose, condoms and a shot of tequila.

On a differant note. Texas can be hot at lunch and snowing the time you walk out. After dark you could freeze a nut out here.

I'll get some pictures this time.:)

By the way. The S/C way easier to install. But neither is bad.

greenday3437 10-23-2008 06:42 PM


Originally Posted by Toddcod (Post 322979)
I am in the prosess of swaping the supercharger on my brothers car to a sweet 90 miata that was owned by a old wealthy man. This car is the definition of a chick car.

I took off all the S/C goodies. And have replaced them with OEM. It fired right up. Now I need to swap the suspension.

Grandpa car just recieved the M45. Now I need to wire in the MSD, pick up a new belt, fuel hose, condoms and a shot of tequila.

On a differant note. Texas can be hot at lunch and snowing the time you walk out. After dark you could freeze a nut out here.

I'll get some pictures this time.:)

By the way. The S/C way easier to install. But neither is bad.

Why are you swapping the parts over? did someone buy them from your brother? or did you get a new car?

Machismo 10-24-2008 09:13 AM

Your grandpa car is still faster than mine.....:mad:
I'm in the works to join the "screw" crew and get a S/C within the year.
Hopefully, if I don't wad the thing up first. ;)

Fireindc 10-24-2008 04:14 PM

fgts.

Toddcod 10-24-2008 04:35 PM


Originally Posted by Machismo (Post 323172)
Your grandpa car is still faster than mine.....:mad:
I'm in the works to join the "screw" crew and get a S/C within the year.
Hopefully, if I don't wad the thing up first. ;)

Compared to stock the S/c rocks. And it is as predictable as a N/A motor. But the turbo is cheaper to upgrade by far.
I turned a screw and went from 6-psi to 10.

I would love to do a M62. Same hp as a turbo, but no wait.:)

When we get finished, hit me up, we'll give you a ride. One in turbo 6psi, and one in S/C 6 psi. Then in mine at 10psi.

hustler 10-24-2008 05:10 PM

you have 3fi cars in the time I've almost completed one, lol.

Toddcod 10-24-2008 07:47 PM


Originally Posted by hustler (Post 323381)
you have 3fi cars in the time I've almost completed one, lol.

LOL. The S/C car is my brothers. I think he has a vacuum leak. We gotta check that out tommorrow.

We started in changing out the suspension. Yea what ever. That was going to be an all day event. The autozone rental spring compressor was a pain.

It looked simple enough. But was kinda dangerous and wasn't getting good coil clearance. We called our friend up, and he said he would swap them $150 per car. So we ate some left over barbque & "PRESTO!!!!"~~~~~~ 3hrs later we drove them off.

Your car isn't just a turbo project. It is a complete build all at once. If you would of just finished one project at a time it wouldn't of seemed so long.
But when you are finished it will be awsome.

This is just me. On track I would run what ever you feel is great. And that turbo you have will keep things cooler than the 2560.
But on the street I would pushhhhhhhh some Boooost out of that thing. I would push as much as I could get away with, without shortening the life of that motor. Who cares about tranny's they are cheap and easy to swap.
Go for 350+ hp.

patsmx5 10-24-2008 07:56 PM

There's a lot of talking and not a lot of pics.

Toddcod 10-24-2008 10:51 PM


Originally Posted by patsmx5 (Post 323424)
There's a lot of talking and not a lot of pics.

We did alot of working and not picture taking. We only had 2 days off to do this. And my brother kept forgetting to bring his camera.

We didn't get to swap the tops yet. I'll get his roomate to take some pictures of the engine bays tommorrow...... If you sprinkled pepper in the engine bay you couldn't turn things as black as all the belt dust.

I did finally get to grab my camera on the way back from dropping the cars off for the suspension swap.

I just posted the pictures from painting his roomates Daisy's today.

Toddcod 10-28-2008 01:10 PM

Well I guess we will have after math pictures. We have been so rushed for time, we keep forgetting the camera.
Anyway, the Now un-SC'd miata is getting paint.

Machismo 10-28-2008 01:43 PM

I rode in Magma's before he put the 3:63's in; and it was a hoot and had hella torque curve. When he did the gearing it became more linear and seemed to be almost the same feel as Gary's. Not the same, but almost.
Took me a bit, but I am leaning more toward the S/C route only after helping Gary w/ his rebuild and see some pros for what I am after.
I will not touch anything but the MP62 if I go this route. ;)

Toddcod 10-28-2008 03:05 PM


Originally Posted by Machismo (Post 324649)
I rode in Magma's before he put the 3:63's in; and it was a hoot and had hella torque curve. When he did the gearing it became more linear and seemed to be almost the same feel as Gary's. Not the same, but almost.
Took me a bit, but I am leaning more toward the S/C route only after helping Gary w/ his rebuild and see some pros for what I am after.
I will not touch anything but the MP62 if I go this route. ;)

Yea, I wouldn't either. The M45 is fun, but the boost is rather limited. If your going to spend that kinda money new, turbo or m62 is the only way to go.

I can't wait to go for a ride in Hustlers. I bet it will be a beast. He should definatly run 16-20 psi on the street.
320 + hp in a miata would be awsome.

Machismo 10-28-2008 03:12 PM

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting a ride along myself. Will def. give me another "benchmark" example of why I desire this kind of powa'! ;)

Toddcod 10-28-2008 05:46 PM

Are you planning on MS or some other type of management?
If your intrested in MS, I'll bring the lap top along so you can check it out.

Machismo 10-28-2008 06:09 PM

I do plan on squirtin' - but that will prolly come after the install.
Yeah, I know, I always have to do things the hard way.
Besides, I need to get a cheap laptop and I have a ton of R&R to do this off season.
Control arm bushings are my top priority now. I've been putting those off for over a year now.

johnwag 10-31-2008 06:41 PM

Hey Todd, when can we hang? :)

Toddcod 10-31-2008 10:57 PM

When are you free? I'll Pm you my number.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands