Best fluid for my 6 speed - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain discuss the wondrous effects of boost and your miata...

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #81
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,982
Total Cats: 10
Default

I put MTG in my replacement 6 sp. My old 6 was getting better and better until 6th gear went out. I can say at this point that I should have known something was not quite right with the last six speed. Reverse is much easier to get into in the new one.

LKQ found me another 2004 MS trans, unfortunately they don't cover labor.
miatauser884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #82
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default

Thanks, rccote and rennkafer. Sounds like good suggestions.

A little off topic, but, is Finish Line one of the "go to" stock parts suppliers for Miata enthusiasts? I am out west. Is there a dealer or parts house out here with the same goodies? Thanks.
Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #83
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 620
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder View Post
Thanks, rccote and rennkafer. Sounds like good suggestions.

A little off topic, but, is Finish Line one of the "go to" stock parts suppliers for Miata enthusiasts? I am out west. Is there a dealer or parts house out here with the same goodies? Thanks.
Other than a local dealer here in San Jose who gives us about the same discount as Finishline, I don't know of one.
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #84
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 951
Total Cats: -252
Default

Amsoil MTG rocks
wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #85
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennkafer View Post
Other than a local dealer here in San Jose who gives us about the same discount as Finishline, I don't know of one.
Parts ordered from Finish Line. I'll change the fluid first and test, then change the parts, just to isolate the cause. And I'll note the condition of the turret lube. Thanks for the links!

Gonna be a few weeks. Waiting for the parts and heading to Thunderhill for the 25...Team 18.

Last edited by Builder; 11-29-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Time Line
Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #86
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,359
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Do a couple of local autocrosses and get a Mazdacomp account ASAP. The discounts are significantly deeper than what Finish Line offers.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #87
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 43
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Do a couple of local autocrosses and get a Mazdacomp account ASAP. The discounts are significantly deeper than what Finish Line offers.
Great tip, thanks Savington!
Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #88
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

THREAD REVIVAL TIME:

I'll be replacing my trans fluid (6sp) soon, and went back to this awesome thread I made a long time ago to see if the general consensus is still the same:

Motorcraft - Great
Amsoil MTG - Great

According to 1 persons post here they liked the MTG better.
Any other opinions?

I'm thinking of trying MTG unless Motorcraft is still deemed "The Best" for the 6 speed.
Is this the right stuff?
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx



6 speed folks holler at me
Attached Thumbnails
Best fluid for my 6 speed-mtg_qt_350pxh.jpg  
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #89
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
THREAD REVIVAL TIME:

I'll be replacing my trans fluid (6sp) soon, and went back to this awesome thread I made a long time ago to see if the general consensus is still the same:

Motorcraft - Great
Amsoil MTG - Great

According to 1 persons post here they liked the MTG better.
Any other opinions?

I'm thinking of trying MTG unless Motorcraft is still deemed "The Best" for the 6 speed.
Is this the right stuff?
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx



6 speed folks holler at me
That is the stuff I have always used in my 6 speed. It has worked great.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #90
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,359
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

That's what use. We sell it as well, PM me for pricing.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #91
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Two season old gear oil analysis of AMSoil is below. My 6-speed always shifted like ----, it got really bad at the last track day and I replaced it. I think its better after street driving, but haven't tracked it yet. Blackstone thinks I didn't have to change it, we'll see how it does on the track.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #92
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
That's what use. We sell it as well, PM me for pricing.
pm sent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Two season old gear oil analysis of AMSoil is below. My 6-speed always shifted like ----, it got really bad at the last track day and I replaced it. I think its better after street driving, but haven't tracked it yet. Blackstone thinks I didn't have to change it, we'll see how it does on the track.
[img]https://www.miataturbo.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=39238&d=1333660175[img]
I dunno wtf that means at all, besides them saying its "normal".
Did this stuff make your car shift better?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #93
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

So if I use valvoline will my car blow up
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #94
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

nope. use goo-gone: best lubricant evar
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #95
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

well seriously, cus i dont have a source for god's own amsoil or motorcraft tomorrow when i get sex on wheels running again
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #96
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
pm sent


I dunno wtf that means at all, besides them saying its "normal".
Did this stuff make your car shift better?
It shows that after two years of track abuse, it still looks fine on a UOA.

It shifts a little better on the street with the new oil, I have not tracked it yet. Its retarded that I've treated this oil the way I have an its still 13cst @200*f. Engineers, chime in.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #97
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
well seriously, cus i dont have a source for god's own amsoil or motorcraft tomorrow when i get sex on wheels running again
Use Penzoil Synchromesh until you get the good stuff.

Supposedly Porsche guys are running Millers gear oils and reporting wild drops in oil temp but I don't know anything about them.
http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automot...ket=Automotive
However I'm pretty happy with what I have.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #98
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,192
Total Cats: 260
Default

5 pages and not one word of any Lucas products??

I used Lucas 75-w90 synthetic in my 5 speed and it seems to be working so far.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #99
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

I've used it in my 5speed before too. No complaints.

This thread is about 6 speeds
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #100
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,359
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erat View Post
5 pages and not one word of any Lucas products??

I used Lucas 75-w90 synthetic in my 5 speed and it seems to be working so far.
Any UOA results?
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.