This is what i'm after as far as the manifold goes. Just need to figure out how i'm going to cut it. A tube notcher + drill press would be awesome right now.
But the owner of the car never brought me a drill press.
The middle runners will be fused on once i can port out and smooth the holes a little better.
You may be asking, "why did you weld 2 pieces of straight pipe you dumb noob?"
Well, the turbo is going to sit offset (not in the middle)(if you couldn't tell by the 45* runner) and i didn't want to drill a hole for the flange in the middle of a weld.
I need to buy some exhaust hanger, gussets(probably totally not needed but why not), and some pipe to put the turbo flange on.
Some of the smallest things take the longest to do.
Hooked the megasquirt up, GOT POWER! Whooh. Seems to be getting fuel, and spark, but we didn't want to pull a "http://youtu.be/2RBRCaVjYrM". So it didn't crank with the manifold off... Much.
We were drinking, what fun would any of this be sober? Also, props for MT shirt??
Made a bunch more progress on the car. Aside from a midpipe, its almost ready to start up. Sadly, we've gotten lazy with documenting.
But i have some manifold pictures.
Rough port, carbide burr is pretty much toasted...
Inside welded and blended in. Probably go back and get it nicely with the stone bit.
Routed the IC piping, got the cooling hoses hooked up, clocked the CHRA, got hardware, oil drain. ect.
The correct size fitting to match up to it is a M10 x 1.5. Based on previous issues locating a correct fitting, you'll want to source a M10 x 1.5 to -3AN fitting.
Is this a lie? We got a M10 x 1.5 to -3AN fitting, but it doesn't seem to work. The one that came with MY flyin miata kit works fine... Also, they're clearly two different pieces. Wondering if we got shipped the wrong ****, even though the label on the bag it came in was what it should be.
I think it's hunting because it's just not getting an AFR signal, or something... I calibrated it to what i think was the sensor that it is... That's fix #1 after midpipe. Seems it was just pegged at 17.0... :(
I'm actually drinking my first beer all weekend now... Not sure how i managed without.
Car runs and builds boost. Spent about 3 hours or so today tuning it. Just running on wastegate pressure for now 8psi. Every time it gets a ton of boost it blows a coupler off, so we have to mend that. But so far it's pretty good. Idle and warmup still needs a bit of tuning, but that takes a while.
I have attached the datalog of the 3rd gear pull, and tune if anyone cares. Heres what VD shows of that pull.
IMO. Not to bad on a budget DIY setup with a free 16g turbo and 3 hours of tuning time.
Feel free to give me some criticism.
May drive the car back to Lansing to it's home tomorrow.