08-17-2016, 05:31 AM
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: vancouver, bc
Total Cats: 3
So I finally got my engine back from the engine builder. There were some issues here and there but it is finally sitting in my garage.
To sum everything up:
-engine builder said oil pressure lost is a pretty big reason why it started knocking again (bought engine used with bearing bits in the pan)
-he said the cause could be a few things. He saw some scoring marks on the oil pump gear (I have pics and can upload later), the excessive use of RTV from the previous "oil pan assembler" could cause the oil issue and lastly the oil cooler might be faulty? He told me to replace it just to be on the safe side
Now here's the plan and a bunch of questions. I hope I could get some advice to get this started. Work is still crazy but will slow down in September. I can then dedicate my time to work on this.
1. So the block is freshly rebuilt with Boundary oil pump and rotating assembly is balanced
2. Block is good so I'll start troubleshooting and testing every part of the oil flow all the way up the vvt head
3. Making sure Tunerstudio was setup properly so it wasn't the tune that will cause
4. Oil pressure gauge will be installed this time so hopefully early detection will be spotted and won't cause any damage
Now the questions:
1. Is there anyway to test the oil cooler? If not then I'll just go find another one
2. I tried googling on an oil lubrication chart for the vvt motor but am out of luck. Anyone have a source?
3. OCV was checked tonight. Put 12v and it retard and advances. However I checked for resistance at 72 degrees F and it read 9.2ish ohms. Factory manual says 6.9-7.9 at 68 degrees. Pretty close?
4. Am I just panicking too much?