So here begins the story of a college student who wants to go fast, spends too much money, and has too much fun.
picked up this innocent looking 1991 Miata w/ 161k on it from some old guy in twin cities in November 2013.
sure there was some rust on it in the typical spots on the quick glance when i bought it, but it had a hardtop so for what he was asking I figured "ehh the rust cant be that bad".
first things first. The mazdarati (as it has became known by all my friends) needed some maintenance work. New Plugs, wires, VC Gasket, and while I was at it I cleaned up the bay and painted some things.. deleted the A/C (that leaked throughout the entire history of the car from its records), and deleted the PS.. I also tucked a few things out of the way and removed some unneeded brackets
for a while I was content. the car was running better with the new plugs/wires and the engine bay was leagues better than it was before in terms of appearance.. still slow as hell, but progress none-the-less
that is until my buddy suggested.. "hey lets do a entire wire tuck".. I drunkenly responded with a "thats a great idea".. then it led to this
*insert about 20 hours of screwing around with wiring and swearing later*
and my engine bay now looked like this.. there are things I'd do differently, but for my first tuck ever.. I'll take it
at this point, the term "screw it, i dont need this anymore. Its weight reduction because racecar" became an ever more common term being thrown around at this car, but to become a racecar i also realized it needed to get faster
so then I got a deal on this.. and by some stroke of god, my ghetto rigged fuel system of a boost setup didnt blow up the motor for the 2 weeks I had it installed..
from my previous boosted car experience, i used my better judgement and sold the M45 kit for a profit because well... you'll see in a simple scroll of a mouse
turns out its normally nice having a good handling car before you make it fast. This car had a conglomeration of head-shaker's going on under the body.. we had a broken endlink in the rear, two broken springs in the rear, mismatched front struts, a blown rear strut, and a new spring installed on the front drivers side.. needless to say, at that point in time I'd compare it to driving a yacht. it would seem pretty logical to just buy a suspension kit for the car and install it before making the car fast.. so thats what I did.. FM had a good deal going on for the holidays on their Koni package, so I took them up on the offer..
in the meantime when I was waiting for the items to ship, i was enjoying the winter weather with my RWD toy
once parts arrived, I went to go loosen the bolts underneath the car and pretty much instantly regretted the "eh the rust cant be that bad" portion of my decision making on the car
long story short, doing what should've been a simple job turned into this expensive mess. There was a lot of cutting involved sadly
the bright side was, the underbody coating seemed to be doing its job well.. solid metal is a rare sight on this car, but its there where I need it
the quick suspension build turned into a rather extensive refurbish of nearly everything under the car..
insert a month of working on the car in my free time around class and work along with way too much money and viola!
figured while I was at it I could play with some appearance ideas, so i shaved the tails, tinted them, and painted the finish panel
so then for the first time since there was snow, I was able to drive the car. Wow was the difference in handling night and day between the suspension and brake work.. I had to take some celebratory pics of the mazdarati
*insert a few months of being happy the car runs again*
decided I needed some tires to go with my suspension setup.. found these TR C1's for sale on craigslist with new Z2's for a price I couldnt refuse.. they were purple, but hell its a girls car anyways might as well rock the look full force.
again, the handling dynamics of the car was changed full swing for the better from what was 8 year old all seasons. considering the all seasons were that bad, i decided to finish them off. what's the point of having a beater if you dont beat on it!?
pretty sure the VLSD hates me, but it can suck one.
while I was working over the summer, I also knew that the car would one day become fast again.. so I decided to go the correct (non-ghetto) route and build this.. got it up and running on the car N/A so I had something to do during my 1.5 hour round trip commute to work. Yay tuning
spent the rest of the summer going to AutoX events and lapping days while still DD'ing the car about 700 miles a week. Can anyone say best beater ever?! Not only did I have to put angry eyes on it to make it look more aggressive, but I also decided to cut the rear bumper to look better as well. I mean, just look at that rusty stock rustoleum silver catback
summer sadly came to an end, so back to college i went for my final year. Everything fit! who says miatas arent practical
after talking with some college friends, I now managed to track down a nice desk ornament
and the current work is working on removing all the optional equipment for a Daily Driven car.. getting close but not quite done removing things. It still has heat, so as a Wisconsin daily driven car thats all I need.
more updates to follow, hope keep learning from you guys on here. MT has been a flipping amazing resource for when I'm confused or frustrated and in need of a laugh while still being educational. Now if one of you would just give me a deal on a T25 setup (minus ECU and Turbo) that'd be great..