Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build - Page 20 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #381
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini~FC3S View Post
I'd keep the twins too...some FDs need to be left at least sort of as the factory intended.
Your point exactly. And I am not exactly stock from the dealer lot but I want to make it OEM+ and really enjoy the car. I'm not doing it for the compliments but a lot of Rotaries fellas seem to enjoy the well kept clean stock look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Yeah I think it really just comes down to the condition of the car:
if it's minty fresh with all maint done and a ton of cash invested to keep it as clean and original as possible (as yours seems to be) keeping the twins is likely a good choice

if it was #racecar or the rats nest of vacuum lines was disintegrating or the car was a nightmare, switching to single is almost mandatory.
The car wasn't a shell or abused when I bought it 20 months ago.It didn't have missing parts or broken down. It was a survivor. It was well cared for and maintained by the first owner. He really loved his car and paid whatever it costed him to drive it. The Brand new OEM built from scratch motor he had Lowes Automotive build for him costed 10k. That shows you his dedication. And Also that there weren't any REMANs available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
Single is almost necessary in case of a standalone ECU. The PFC is mostly a tuneable stock ECU, if anything.

It is the easiest way to tune the car with the hand held. It is a bit outdated but its simple and to the point. It doesn't need any more then that.
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #382
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 2,942
Total Cats: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
Single is almost necessary in case of a standalone ECU. The PFC is mostly a tuneable stock ECU, if anything.
Why is that? Too hard to control the various flappers with aftermarket?

--Ian
(in the market for a clean, stock, low-mile FD).
codrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #383
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (10)
 
Reverant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 5,321
Total Cats: 182
Default

Because it required dedicated logic for that particular application, and given that most companies don't even have a PnP model for the FD, they won't bother to implement it. Poor ROI and all that.
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #384
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 392
Total Cats: 16
Default

Can't you control all that with an Adaptronic or Haltec? I have an old Navy buddy down in the Savanna area that works at Gulf Stream with a BNR setup he is prepping for E85. We talked a lot about ECUs with his car since we were both going though ECU choices around the same time. I vaguely remember him saying something about the two aforementioned ECUs being the only ones capable of controlling the engine with the twins. I wanted him to try MS3 but there is so little support for it for FDs.
90civichhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:47 AM   #385
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

The PFC is the most popular choice for the community for the twins. You can use it for a single setup but it's not as precise as adaptronic. With adaptronic, your power is limitless.

And for MS3, there isn't many users that I've seen. I'm not sure if it's because of what you mentioned or because it's unfamiliar. I'm familiar with MS3 and I would assume if you find a tuner he can adjust everything for you like a normal session.

Btw just ended tonight at 12:30. The 99 spec turbos are in and we are going to work on the oil and coolant lines tomorrow. We'll have it wrapped up ready to rip. Can't wait.
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #386
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

I also purchased and installed 99 spec twin turbos since I had an exhaust gasket leak on the block to the lower exhaust manifold. I was also burning oil in the secondary(so we think)

Between the exhaust ports was cracked

Open Down pipe start up



Still didn't fix the lower boost on the secondary. The 99s pull a lot harder because they are slightly larger then the 93 usdm models. And they are more efficient. Reason is still being determined why the sequential system on the secondary is running lower boost. Boost on the primary hits hard at 12lbs. Im working on the secondary to match that same psi level to redline.


Untitled by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr


Untitled by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr


I soften the dampening on the Ohlin coilovers to help out with my oversteering issue where my tail end likes to slide a lot. This helped out a lot during autocross this weekend.
I am thinking of unhooking my rear sway bar in the future for the next event.


Results

Untitled by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr


Live Results - Generated:Sun 04-03-2016 15:17:43






DSC08551 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr



DSC08567 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr




DSC08579 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr



DSC08624 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr

DSC08647 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr



DSC08731 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr



DSC08787 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr




DSC08804 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr



DSC08934 by Gerald Mugar, on Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-26140275172_bdeefc803a_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-25627975544_b15a055601_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-26166438391_64e739abd8_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-26208102666_4566c11144_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-25631343863_23633fcdd5_b.jpg  

Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-25961122800_379a640f35_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-26141560162_7db10a778e_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-25629247414_75fce17ca4_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-26141546992_9866e62dfb_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-26233991545_5e93147cd8_b.jpg  

Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-25631310973_977055b16b_b.jpg   Mini_FD '99 Flyin' Miata Turbo Build-26208295806_714b828e14_b.jpg  
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #387
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 392
Total Cats: 16
Default

Dude, those ES Miata's are like a second faster than you. What kind of tires are you on currently?
90civichhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #388
Junior Member
 
ozbrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 185
Total Cats: 19
Default

There is one ES Miata driver that was faster than him by 2 tenths, so either you're reading the results wrong or exaggerating. Most of the ES Miata guys here in Central FL have been autocrossing for decades. Gerald and I are still fairly green with less than 2 years under our belts, BSP #1 here. Gerald, I'm pretty sure you will need some wider/stickier rubber if you want to take that Street Prepared FTOD from me.
ozbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #389
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

Eventually Ill upgrade from stock 16x8s running 245/45/16 to an 18x9.5 with 265/35/18

But For now, I'm tweaking things on the car to have a nice setup running autocross. I just lowered the dampening a bit to give the car some body roll because I was too stiff and sliding rear happy. That seemed to improve a lot. I am also going to un hook on end link to the sway bar in the rear suggested by Owen to see if that further improves my performance. All in All it was a blast and we all did pretty well out there.
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #390
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 392
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbrock View Post
There is one ES Miata driver that was faster than him by 2 tenths, so either you're reading the results wrong or exaggerating. Most of the ES Miata guys here in Central FL have been autocrossing for decades. Gerald and I are still fairly green with less than 2 years under our belts, BSP #1 here. Gerald, I'm pretty sure you will need some wider/stickier rubber if you want to take that Street Prepared FTOD from me.
I'm retarded and was looking under their PAX time. That spreadsheet is set up much differently than ours. Usually we have RAW time and PAX time on two different spreadsheets when looking at results.

I feel like a 245 on an 8 would be pretty pinched but I guess that depends on which tires you are on.
90civichhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #391
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 2,942
Total Cats: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichhb View Post
I feel like a 245 on an 8 would be pretty pinched but I guess that depends on which tires you are on.
8" rims are right in the middle of most manufacturer's recommended range for 245 tires. That's only "pinched" if you're into oni-kyan.

--Ian
codrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #392
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

So I made the Mazda magazine spring edition

Zoom-Zoom, USA, Spring
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #393
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 392
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
8" rims are right in the middle of most manufacturer's recommended range for 245 tires. That's only "pinched" if you're into oni-kyan.

--Ian
That sort of goes against everything I read on here. Didn't Flyin Miata and 949 do some pretty extensive testing on this already and a 225 on an 8 was faster than a 245. Most of the fast guys here in my region ,that are not limited by rule requirements, even go as narrow as a 205 on an 8" for autocross.
90civichhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #394
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

A national solo racer who drives a 3rd gen rx7 uses a 245/45/16 tire on stock wheels.
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #395
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 2,942
Total Cats: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90civichhb View Post
That sort of goes against everything I read on here. Didn't Flyin Miata and 949 do some pretty extensive testing on this already and a 225 on an 8 was faster than a 245. Most of the fast guys here in my region ,that are not limited by rule requirements, even go as narrow as a 205 on an 8" for autocross.
I'm not aware of any testing showing a 225 on an 8 being faster than a 245 on an 8. I'm not sure how you'd do that on a Miata anyway, AFAIK there's only one tire available in a 245 that fits a Miata. That's a Hoosier, and I'd be very careful about trying to extrapolate general trends in street tires using data from Hoosiers.

205s may be faster than 225s on lightweight, low-powered cars on big tracks, but if so that's not because the wheels are too narrow. It's because the grip doesn't make up for the extra drag from pushing a bigger tire through the air, or the rolling friction on the pavement. The break-even point on that is going to be very sensitive to power level, aero, track configuration, etc, so I would not try to apply them to an FD that weighs 20% more than a Miata and makes 50% more power.

For an extreme example, back when DOT R comps were legal in stock, Integra guys used to run 275 Hoosiers on 15x6 wheels. The 15x6 wheels were required by the rules, and the 275 Hoosiers were clearly not operating at their best, but it was still faster to put 275s on those wheels than it was to use 225s. Again, this is a Hoosier, so don't extrapolate too much from it.

--Ian
codrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #396
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

What he said
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #397
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 392
Total Cats: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
I'm not aware of any testing showing a 225 on an 8 being faster than a 245 on an 8. I'm not sure how you'd do that on a Miata anyway, AFAIK there's only one tire available in a 245 that fits a Miata. That's a Hoosier, and I'd be very careful about trying to extrapolate general trends in street tires using data from Hoosiers.


--Ian
I think you make great points but the Maxxis is offered in a 245, albeit it is a brand new tire.

Here are two threads that sort of go against your argument.

why run 15X9 wheels and only use a 225 tire?

why 225/45/15 RS3s and NT01s on 15 X 9 wheels

Some very fast people in these threads with proven results. I honestly thought it was pretty common to run a slight stretch. I run 195s on my 8 inch wheels and am consistently top 3 locally in a pretty contested class. We also had one of our local pro guys (John Brown, winner at Dixie Nationals STS Miata a few weeks ago) run back to back V720s in a 225 and 71R's in a 205 and the 71r's in a 205 were faster at our lot by half a second. Again, this is all autocross and strictly street tire stuff. His 3rd and 4th run was on the 71r's, the added cones are there because only 3 runs count in pro.
90civichhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #398
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 33
Default

But were talking about the Rx7. Not the Miata. Those are two completely different platforms of suspension, power, and wheel base.
BlackBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #399
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 392
Total Cats: 16
Default

This all came from the "245s are pinched if you're into stance" comment. It's more of a, just because the manufacturer says something doesn't make it definitive thing, I guess. Won't keep hijacking your build thread. Atleast it's keeping it on top of the front page, lol.
90civichhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #400
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,985
Total Cats: 409
Default

90civicHB, you're missing a point here. 245's on an 8 will not be utilizing the 245 to its max potential, but it will be faster than a 205 on an 8 (though with less feel, and less progressive breakaway). A 205 on an 8 will be faster than a 205 on a 7, because the slight stretch will provide better feel and allow you to make the most of the tire.

as far as being pinched, Codrus is correct -- according to the tire manufacturers, a 245 on an 8 is just fine.

949's recommendations are very different from manufacturer recommendations because he's more interested in making the most of a given TIRE size, rather than making the most of a given WHEEL size.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[CT] 1999 Mazda Miata 10th Anniversary Edition - $5800 Jike Spingleton Cars for sale/trade 3 09-20-2016 05:33 PM
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.