My modification journey began when a co-worker was selling his M45 cheap. I figured "what the hell" and purchased it. I dynoed after installation and with stock pulleys making 5 psi of boost made 164.16 WHP and 139.23 lb-ft SAE corrected on a dynojet. After getting used to this I of course needed more power! So, I aquired an 01+ header, cone filter, put on a large crank overlay pulley, and a small supercharger nose pulley, and converted to E-85 using RX8 yellow 425cc/min injectors and walbro 255 lph fuel pump. Keep in mind this is all on a primitive piggyback non-adjustable fuel card and stock timing... hence the swap to E-85 to prevent blowing **** up at 9 psi of non-intercooled boost. With this setup (pictured here) I made 200.81 WHP and 174.34 lb-ft on the same dynojet I used previously.
A few months back I sold the supercharger setup to some sucker (ummm, I mean I let it go, as reluctant as I was to part with it...) and purchased a Reverent built MS3. I already had the boost gauge and Innovate MTX-L wide band, so wired the wide band into the MS3. I will take some pictures of my current setup in the AM.
Next purchase was a full bore S6 setup from BEGi with the spud (now called S4 with external WG) along with clutch, flywheel, 3" exhaust with no cat, with the resonator and the "quiet" muffler option, radiator, coolant reroute... and commenced waiting. Also purchased full bore XIDA coilover setup from 949 racing... and commenced waiting.
The clutch and flywheel arrived, and I figured "if I have to pull the transmission to do the clutch I may as well throw in a 6 speed". My seller chose to trust UPS to package the transmission for shipment <sigh> The next set of pictures is the removed 5 speed, clutch and flywheel installed and the damage to the 6 speed it received during shipping. Mounting point for the slave cylinder was busted clean off!
Here is the 5 speed just after I pulled it out.
Here is the ACT pro lite flywheel... yes I cleaned off the fingerprints before installing the clutch!
6 speed as it arrived.
View one of broken slave cylinder mount.
View two of broken slave cylinder mount.
View three of broken slave cylinder mount.
So, purchased a used front half of the case and had it installed, cost me about $25 more than the insurance payout from UPS (had to fight hard for that, but they couldn't blame "customer packing" for the damage, so they are paying up).
So, at this point the status of the car is thus:
MS3, wide band and boost gauge, 01+ header, 3" no cat exhaust, ACT clutch and light weight flywheel, RX8 425cc/min injectors walbro 255 lph pump running E-85, 6 speed conversion with 4.3 rear end ratio, cone filter stuck right on the throttle body.
The final parts to my turbo system are due to arrive today "before end of day" according to UPS tracking.
I was surprised that the exhaust wasn't too loud, people bitch and moan about a large diameter exhaust on a naturally aspirated 1.8, but I don't find it that bad at all. It will be even quieter after the turbo goes on.
While waiting for repairs on the 6 speed I went ahead and did a shifter re-build since it had a torn lower boot, and the 6 speed shifts pretty nice. The clutch engages lower than it used too, but not "dragging" when disengaged so no harm no foul. I haven't stalled the car once with the 10.4lb ACT pro lite flywheel, and rev matching on downshifts is much "snappier"
I think I have dyno sheets for the M45 in the dyno sheets and timeslips forum, and I plan to do a naturally aspirated dyno session just for ***** and giggles on the E-85 setup before installing the turbo system.
Here are some pics of the BEGi exhaust system compared to the stock setup.
Only cosmetic change to the car is swapping to a NB2 center consol.
Thanks for listening to me ramble!
<edit> added pics.