This arrived. EFR 6258. It's glorious, and much bigger physically than I was expecting.
This is from the Trackspeed group buy so I'll have a manifold as well when they get finalized.
More engine bay cleaning. I used Turtle Wax's "Bug and Tar Remover"
- it worked really, really well.
It sprays on thick and seeps into all the little crevices. Scrub as needed and rinse off.
Next thing on the list was refurbishing the front subframe and suspension. I started by dropping it totally out of the car.
I chocked the wheels and used an engine hoist to lift the car up by the bumper, and drug the whole shabang out from under.
This was moderately sketchy but I figured the engine and interior are out, the subframe isn't going to be lifted, and the hoist is rated for 1 ton. At the very least I'm ~500 lbs under that.
In hindsight there was probably a few things I should have loosened while it was still attached to the car, particularly the ball joints.
It's hard to get a solid hit to pop them when the whole assembly just slides across the floor when smacked.
Oh well - I got everything apart:
To remove the bushings I used a long bolt, a shitload of washers, two metric adjustable wrenches, and some white lithium grease.
This method worked pretty damn well. Just make sure you're not crushing the control arm with the vice - and probably most importantly, it needs to be sitting perfectly level in the vice otherwise it'll just bind up.
Next was getting all the parts prepped for paint. This took forever. Probably 15-20 hrs of wire wheeling across 4 days.
The lower control arms are a bitch. The dugout part where the shock bolts to is pretty difficult to get cleaned up.
No pictures of that, but here's a quick one of the subframe itself.
It was humid that day too, so as I cleaned up one side, the other side was starting to rust almost immediately.
I primed these two parts with Rustoleum "Bare Metal" Primer.
I ended up doing the rest with Krylon's Red Oxide primer as I felt it sprayed better, and might give me some protection for spots I missed / couldn't clean as well as I wanted (lower control arms..)
That's where we're at now. I'll be ordering a boatload of things to get this all back together fairly soon. Bushings, ball joints, tie rods, rotors, dust caps, etc etc etc
Next project will be de-powering the rack.