I finally am started to gain focus on my rebuild so I figured at kick off a build thread.
I 'bought' the car from my father at age 15 when he acknowledged the proposed spec miata build was not likely. I decided to hop on the tuner bandwagon and turbo it at 17. The car then saw a minor rebuild at 18, but college, beer, and hipster single-speeds caused my mind to wander. The car , as a result, ended up sitting in my parents garage for the past 6 years. Nostalgia has set in prematurely and I've decided to get it back on the road.
The first build, circa 2002:
The first rebuild (after I grew some taste), circa 2003:
Now, on to the current progress. Ironically, everything in the build is changing except (amazingly) the Greddy manifold. Stupid? Perhaps, but the manifold has barely moved (less than .01" over 6K) and I didn't realize that my turbo **** the bed until after I had ARTech fab a DP and exhaust ... oh well.
Cue the **** phone pics
Engine bay, as it sit. The plan is to run the IC pipes over the radiator ... the path should be very short. Though I'm not convinced the Carbing brace is the god-like product it's made out to be, one cannot deny the quality of the welds and how pisser is looks in the bay.
This shot shows a couple bits I've completely thus far. Smoothed Auto TB, M-Tuned rail, hard line fuel feed, water jetted IAC blocking plates:
I'm using a 30 degree elbow to quick the intake tract back up and over the Koyo rad:
Close up of the M-tuned fuel rail. I used Earls hard coated fittings and tube nuts with an Aeromotive 5/16 nipple adapter to connect to the oem lines:
A shot of the radiator brackets to create clearance for the IC pipes. They're designed to keep to base of the radiator in a near OEM location to provide plenty of sway bar clearance - this simply tilts to radiator back
I found a direct bolt in for the Greddy manifold on ebay. The vendor was nice enough to check the flange rubs I e-mailed him. He said it came with a VR4 'upgrade'. All I know is it's a mitsu turbo, the flanges bolt up, and yes ... it's water cooled.
A comparison. I'll be swapping over my polished Greddy housing and fabricating a WG bracket for my Forge WG. I've heard good and bad about the Forge WG, but it's adjustable, rebuild-able, looks pretty and I got it for next to nothing:
I started mocking up my new AEM gauges. I decided to keep the gauges up high ... a little more work but worth it IMO:
The finished product. 10mm delrin, 2 3/8" and 2 1/16" forstner bits, a bridgeport, an hour of polishing = profit. I'll be using my AC button as my hazards switch:
They're angled at around 9 deg which provides a very clear few of the gauges at a glance:
Mild panic at first sight of box ... all well inside:
Beauty. ARTech goodies:
I've got a lot of work ahead, hopefully pace will pick up come this fall and winter. I've got a MSPNP to install and tune, a mild wire tuck to complete, an m-tuned reroute to install, and some general maintenance.
Hopefully by next summer the 1.6 diff will be gone and the car will be sitting an a proper suspension and not 70k blown oem shocks.