In Soviet Russia car build YOU! - Page 84 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #1661
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,505
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikersam717 View Post
Borgwarner off a 2013 Passat TDI at work. Probably the 6-7th one in the past few months.
sweet, is it an OEM turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaryOne View Post
Does VW make you install the GM turbo speed sensor kits on the replacements so they can make sure the customers aren't spinning them too fast?
Is the speed sensor really a GM part or are you talking out of your ***?
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #1662
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sonora, Ca
Posts: 623
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
sweet, is it an OEM turbo?
Yes, they're OE, and failing pretty frequently.
bikersam717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #1663
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 514
Total Cats: 29
Default

Probably my ***. I thought the speed sensor they gave you with your replacement turbo was a GM style part.

Edit: Figured out where I got confoosed. Was reading about EFRs on another website, and they use a GM style dump valve. Not speed sensor. Doi.

Last edited by TheScaryOne; 01-08-2014 at 12:31 PM.
TheScaryOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #1664
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33,151
Total Cats: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikersam717 View Post
Yes, they're OE, and failing pretty frequently.
that's disturbing. what is the average mileage these borgs tend eat it?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #1665
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,505
Total Cats: 248
Default

solution: don't buy a vw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScaryOne View Post
Probably my ***. I thought the speed sensor they gave you with your replacement turbo was a GM style part.
nah, its a borg warner part, specific to the EFRs
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #1666
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,598
Total Cats: 91
Default

I dont know what GM car would have that speed sensor. I know the newer turbo ecotec's use BW turbos but dont have speed sensors.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #1667
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sonora, Ca
Posts: 623
Total Cats: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
that's disturbing. what is the average mileage these borgs tend eat it?
There doesn't seem to be any consistency to it. This had 20k on the clock and was driven by an elderly woman. I believe the one prior to this was a 95k 2010 Jetta Sportwagen owned by a young male. VW has been good-willing them if they're out of warranty, seemingly with no questions asked. The newer TDI is their baby and they don't want people thinking it's a problem child. Grant it, when they're running; they are an awesome vehicle.
bikersam717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #1668
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,856
Total Cats: -4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikersam717 View Post
VW has been good-willing them if they're out of warranty, seemingly with no questions asked. The newer TDI is their baby and they don't want people thinking it's a problem child.
VW's probably good-willing them no questions asked because BorgWarner is paying for it....
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #1669
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 761
Total Cats: 19
Default

Well **** it seems Borg Warners aren't even good?!
Better switch to chinacharger now fellas.

Dat piston slap doe, I'd die if mine was that bad. But you've been letting it sit in that garage in cold ad weather huh?
We got *** fucked by 38 at night here in Florida. The state went into hysteria.
My car loved it. Besides over boosting the **** out if the poor turbo.
Impuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #1670
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,505
Total Cats: 248
Default

dude my car makes a lot of noises.
the lifters were never adjusted, ever, piston-to-wall is big, things vibrate etc etc.

piston slap goes away once everything warms up, obv ->
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #1671
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 761
Total Cats: 19
Default

I've been thinking about checking my valve lash, I hear slight ticking up there.
Does the MSdroid have tuning feature?
I want to replace my tuning laptop with a tablet or something easier to mount somewhere.
Impuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #1672
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,870
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
dude my car makes a lot of noises.
the lifters were never adjusted, ever, piston-to-wall is big
Sorry m8te, ur piston is too small for her cylinder.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #1673
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,505
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impuls View Post
I've been thinking about checking my valve lash, I hear slight ticking up there.
Does the MSdroid have tuning feature?
I want to replace my tuning laptop with a tablet or something easier to mount somewhere.
it doesn't replace a tuning laptop but it gives ability to make changes in a pinch.
doesn't have autotune.
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #1674
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impuls View Post
Well **** it seems Borg Warners aren't even good?!
Better switch to chinacharger now fellas.

Dat piston slap doe, I'd die if mine was that bad. But you've been letting it sit in that garage in cold ad weather huh?
We got *** fucked by 38 at night here in Florida. The state went into hysteria.
My car loved it. Besides over boosting the **** out if the poor turbo.
Well, you DO live in FL. If you lived somewhere that it actually got cold, you'd hear tons of OEM cars even with piston slap and other horrible cold start noises. Cars are noisy as hell when you start them in sub 15* weather and whatnot.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #1675
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 2,973
Total Cats: 101
Default

Too lazy to search, which pistons and size? If my wisecos sound like this at their worst I could handle that.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #1676
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: woosta, ma
Posts: 8,598
Total Cats: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
Well, you DO live in FL. If you lived somewhere that it actually got cold, you'd hear tons of OEM cars even with piston slap and other horrible cold start noises. Cars are noisy as hell when you start them in sub 15* weather and whatnot.
And other weirdness. The tow rig took a good 20 seconds before power steering fluid reached the pump on day when it was below zero (awful noises). The subaru clutch feel completely changes anytime its below ~12*F out, and occasionally the PS doesnt work right after starting the car when its super cold, because the atf in the ps system is too thick to be drawn up the suction tube.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #1677
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,662
Total Cats: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
And other weirdness. The tow rig took a good 20 seconds before power steering fluid reached the pump on day when it was below zero (awful noises). The subaru clutch feel completely changes anytime its below ~12*F out, and occasionally the PS doesnt work right after starting the car when its super cold, because the atf in the ps system is too thick to be drawn up the suction tube.
Yeah, and sometimes you get exhaust leaks when it's super cold that will seal fine once everything gets some heat in it, valves sound angry as hell for a minute until oil gets pumped into the head, and tons of other things.

My DD honda (b18 engine) sounds like an angry swarm of hornets when it first starts in sub 0 weather. Cold idle at 1550rpm, and an orchestra of underhood noises to make you cringe on really cold starts.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #1678
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,505
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Too lazy to search, which pistons and size? If my wisecos sound like this at their worst I could handle that.
used FM wisecos, 84mm, 0.1mm (0.0040") piston/wall clearance.

another fun thing when cold: steering requires a herculean effort. I have an "imporoperly" depowered rack.
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #1679
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 2,973
Total Cats: 101
Default

Good, I have off the shelf 84mm, 10.5 wisecos. I'll have to review the spec sheet on what clearance they want. Like I said, if this is the worst I can handle it.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #1680
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 761
Total Cats: 19
Default

Yeah.. people here in FL don't know what cold is.
So using the tablet you can manually tune. Autotune would require to much processing I suppose.

Mine are 84mm weisco. I think they call for .0030 turbo applications. It also depends on if it's a race motor or not too I think.
Impuls is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
The "just have fun build" nelson8708 Build Threads 9 09-26-2015 10:07 AM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM
Annoying little leaks AlwaysBroken Engine Performance 5 09-06-2015 01:53 AM


Tags
backwards bolshevik, communists, drives like grandma, measuring shafts, potato powerd, won't go wot

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.