I planned to fix the manifold today but it was to windy out for me to weld with shielding gas. Instead I built a new exhaust for the car out of 2.5" piping to replace the 2.25" that was on there. Only went for a short drive with it and it seems reasonably quiet, which is what I was going for. Appearance wise it is meh since I dont have gas for steel so good old flux core. Should get the job done though.
So much fail. Kept hearing a boost leak and was having trouble finding it. Noticed a coupler was about to blow off from the marks on the dirt. I then felt the edge of the clamp and yup no pipe so ready to pop. I pull the coupler and saw this. Guess the pipe gave in from the clamp.
Then the next story is full of lol. So sitting in my lab lab and get the following message, "this is officer name from campus PD and we need you to call us." Great... Call in and they tell me my car alarm is stuck going off. Interesting. Get to the car and the horn is stuck on. Turns out part of my NRG hub fell apart and shorted the wiring.
Well got it all together again and took it to Autoclub speedway. Day one was autox. All was well and got second fastest time of the day. Not bad considering I was using three year old NT01s with a lot of heat cycles on them. Also had been using them as street tires since they had gotten hard. Giggity.
Car performed flawlessly. Feeling cocky I signed up for the trackday on Sunday. Well that went well... First a morning feast for my friends and I.
Then the fun. During the first session the crank pulley sheared the metric grade 10.9 bolts I had on it and wound up on the track. It was recovered later but damaged beyond repair.
Also Achievement unlocked: Dead six speed. Reverse and 5th are no longer an option. It did not want to down shift into 4th throughout the session which was awful since a lot of the corners were 4th gear corners in my car.
Well a lap at ACS. A lap. Not a good lap, but a lap nonetheless. There are a lot of easy areas to pick up time. Easiest of all, the car maxes out at 140 on the straight and I believe it will hold that through the banked nascar turn. Slowed to 125 since didn't feel like testing that with a passenger. Several other areas I lift at that are not really necessary and I was being light on the brakes. I had planned this session to be an meh pace reliability check. I could not haz though.
I guess a kind of 180 for the car. Figured since no matter what the car needed cage, I would just turn the car into a supermiata and enjoy some wheel to wheel action. I started the process this weekend by removing all the boost parts and aero. I am not done with all the ducting yet but this is the general idea for the intake.
This makes me sad :( that you removed the sc because you put so much work into it but it does seem that you were probably getting frustrated over the various issues which is understandable. Best wishes on your new endeavor.
Yeah I was kind of sad to pull it after all the effort I put into it. I am keeping all the parts with plans to put it back on some day when I have a real job and can afford to develop it better. My main logic for this was well, after diving cars with cages for a while this car did not feel safe at all. So it needed a cage and due to reliability issues, it needed to be trailered. Then I figured if I am going to go though all that effort, might as well do w2w since it is a lot more fun.
So here is the new beast for towing, a 92 f250 with the 7.3 IDI diesel. Sadly no turbo.
I guess now my only FI vehicle has the correct form of boost for this forum. Also finally got my hardtop and side skirts painted for it.
A little bit of progress. Figured I would gut the car and sell as much of the interior stuff as I can to raise funds for a cage. Also making the car useless will force me to get it done so I can drive again.
I can't wait to rewire the car. Well be done with rewiring it. Not looking forward to the process. Main reason being Cthulhu lives in the wiring harness. Strange part is this has never given me any trouble in the six years it has been in the car.
Cage is now painted with a matte nickle metallic color. I will eventually paint the rest of the interior black which should provide a nice contrast.
I also started the fun of rewiring the entire car. I got tired of the harness in that car since it had been messed with too much. Also will make the car less cluttered and with how much unneeded wiring there was, should be a nice weight loss.
I have been making some slow progress. I have been working almost 70 hours a week so not much time to get things done. The engine harness is done. Car starts and runs finally.
The amount of wiring removed.
Also decided to make my own gauges. I wanted to be able to monitor a large amount of things like oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, coolant pressure, fuel, voltage and have warning lights. I used an arduino to read the senders and convert them to outputs. The gauges that are hooked up so far read normal values for this car so that is a good sign. Gauge harness is still in the works which is why it looks like a mess of wiring.