Well, this is my brother's car.
i'm helping him build it.
He bought this miata for 750$ with a blown motor...the piston shattered and luckily did not scratch the cylinder wall...yep..cylinder #4..probably cooling issue.
we removed the engine and took it to get machined, hopefully getting it back in two days.
this si the car when we got it
when removing engine:
over the weekend, we got a little carried away on the "removing stuff we don't need" and ended up completely rmeoving:
dash board, carpet, a/c, heater core, and pretty much everything byt the wiring.
my brother getting ---- about cleaning...
end result as it sits on my driveway right now:
the brother helping disassemble the engine:
note*this is his first time ever playing with an engine...it bit him back and he bled ....bad!
we then proceeded to power wash away 15 years of dust and other disgusting matter form the engine bay and inside the car.
we are having fun and have big plans for the car.
we are on a budget but also want to do things right.
the plan is to go boost...no idea how yet, but we'll figure it out.
engine wise we are probably going with either weiseco or supertech pistons @ 9.5~:1CR, Eagle Rods, DIYPNP for management, rmeoving EVERYTHING that is not necessary to drive the car including a radio!, ARP headstuds, skunk2 throttle body(gotta convince him of this).
the car already has a good stage2 clutch by ACT, transmission is sound.
we have a lot to learn and believe me, we've been reading non-stop.
i know these types of forums and won't be asking stupid questions wihtout searching extensively before.
hope to get a lot of help from you guys!
by the way, the car is a '96 STO Miata on Montego Blue (faded color though)
i believe it has what appears as stock rims...they are getting changed.
i'll let my brother update you more on the looks of the car since i am not really interested in that
he currently drives a mlightly modded MS3 '12, i drive a completely stock MS3 '10 and i also own a heavily modded mazda protege MP3 '01 @ 14PSI with mods too long to list...
Total money invested: 350$
Machine Shop did the following:
cut the head slightly..didn't have to cut too much becasue head wasn't warped or anything
seated the valves, overall cleaning...thing is beautiful
cleaned the block, .20 over bore and honing
cleaned the crank, .10 rod bearing, .10 crank bearings, polished.
this is AWESOMENESS
nothing else done to the block.
was advised not to replace the coolant seals...
project keeps moving foeward.
interior starting to take shape. changed the carpet for a NB's black carpet.
it seems like convertible top won't drop it..minor modifications might have to be done
carpet in, seats in, painted metal pieces on top of the gas tank, they were all rust-free but wanted to future proof.
install convertible top.