So today on my way home from class I got hustled up a freeway on-ramp by something i'd rather not admit being hustled by.
This car is just too damn slow, especially with the map scaled for boost...i'm not running nearly enough timing up top for being N/A.
So I thought about it, thought some more. I'm only missing a few smallish pieces that I can run and get at the parts store down the street when the time comes. I've got til tuesday to get this thing back on the road or i'll be taking the bus to school
My setup is mostly in my sig, if you want to know anything more specific just ask.
So enough chit-chat, lets make with the pictures.
As it sat when I pulled it into the garage. Dont mind the ghettofied TPS hanging off the throttle body...will fix in due time.
First things first, get that old header off:
Took me awhile but I knew I remembered being able to get that bastard out in one piece.
The old and the new (thesnowboarder misses his SSSGDP):
Best tool in the garage in my opinion. Makes quick work of twisting out mile long bolts without the obnoxiousness of the air ratchet:
Turbo not hit block?
I'll tell you, i really hated this outlet adapter for this turbo. I knew i'd hate it but bought it anyway, I should have just gone with my gut and purchased the ATP adapter. After putting the turbo on, taking it off, clocking it, putting it back on, taking it back off, clocking it again, omg I thought it'd never end. Finally figured out a setup that will work alright, going to have to re-route that lower radiator hose somehow.
Here is my turbo clocker:
Here are a couple shots of what I think ended up being my final alignment:
I learned while test fitting the turbo to the BEGI mani out of the car that I had to clearance the turbine housing a little bit to actually be able to twist the nut on. Went to town with the dremel:
Here is a shot of my bosch bypass valve that will be VTA on my application. Not sure which end is in and which is out but here is how I have it for now:
After a long frustrating afternoon/evening I had to give up. While I was trying to fit the turbo to the mani/dp I realized that I needed to remove the lower front stud to get it to fit. While trying to get it out I stripped the two nuts I was double-nutting to get it out. That just seemed like as good of a time as any to hang it up for the night and have some beers.
Here is how she sits in the garage, cold and lonely:
So, the to-do for tomorrow, if possible (its a lot):
-Finish mounting turbo
-Get some missing hardware (long bolt for the DP, new turbo hardware etc)
-Mock up intercooler piping
-Sort out the oil feed/drain
-Relocate the lower radiator hose out of the turbo's way
-Figure out where i'm going to run a vac line to the WGA
-Redo LC-1 wiring to work with the turbo
-Perhaps clean up my nasty rats nest megasquirt wiring under the passenger foot well
I'm sure there is plenty more that i'm not thinking about right now. Thanks for looking!