03-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Join Date: Apr 2011
Total Cats: 1
2004 NB cranks but won't start
I have had a few hard starting issues at track events this year. The first was at an Autocross. The car became hard to start. After it started, it ran strong. Ultimately, I cut the day short as it would not re-start in grid for the second run group. Later, it started and ran. I loaded it into the trailer, checked the basics; fuel, spark... then road tested it before going to a trackday roadcourse event. It also became hard to start after the first session. It did eventually start, and ran well during each of the 20 min run sessions. However, there is clearly a problem. It is now to the point where it will only start on a sporadic basis. Complicating this is that I now have a new MS that I want to install, but I hesitate to install a new ECU when the car is "questionable".
What I have checked:
1) The fuel pump cycles on with the key. I have just under 100# rail pressure.
2) The spark plugs are grey/tan and the electrodes are undamaged. They are not wet after cranking. Pulling #1 demonstrates no-spark when cranking; but then will occasionally spark and the engine will fire up on the other 3 clds.
3) I have replaced the crank position sensor and re-set the gap to .050.
4) I have replaced the cam position sensor.
5) I had one instance when an error light came on in the top right part of the dash. It looked like a key... perhaps a security system prompt? This got me wondering if I had a problem with the immobilizer??
The car is a 2004 MSM used for track days.
Pertinent car mods: Garrett 2860, bigger intake/intercooler/exhaust, flattop, mini alternator.
Pertinent wiring mods: BEGI re-flash, egr delete, vtcs delete, PD alternator delete, airbag/radio/ect. delete, prior trouble with melted heat/wires near MAF; now repaired. (there are now lots of unused connectors hanging). Added master kill, transponder, wideband O2, EGT.