This setup you're about to see may not be quite the same quality/output overall of some we've seen in the past (thinking of Godless Commie's at the moment), however, they are probably easier to complete (no cutting or modification to the housings or projectors required) and the parts are relatively inexpensive while being of very good quality. I highly recommend that while you handle the parts that you wear latex gloves, especially the projector shrouds or any of the chrome pieces. They easily pick up oily fingerprints and when cleaned improperly, can lightly scratch, leaving a hazed finish.
* I assume no responsibility for you screwing up your headlights, getting pulled over, or any other problematic issues you may encounter.
For this project I'm using Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors (with Mini Gatling shrouds) from theretrofitsource.com. These projectors have low-beam/high-beam capability and include parts to make the retrofit a mostly bolt-in affair.
First, we have the projectors:
Then we have our donor headlight assemblies, remove the rubber boot, bulbs, and unscrew/remove the clip that holds the main bulb in place:
Preheat the oven to 220°, while it's warming up, prepare a cookie pan by covering it with aluminum foil (helps prevent the pan from stinking of burnt plastic, although no odor is really produced). Place the headlight in the oven for 10-12 minutes, I found it worked best to use the rack in the middle. Time will depend on your oven obviously, less time is better.
Put on a pair of soft leather or vinyl gloves and remove the headlights from the oven. Carefully use a flat head screwdriver and pry the lens from the housing, too hard and you'll damage the housing or lens, they're plastic so they get soft when hot. If the housing doesn't want to come apart easily, put it in the oven for a couple more minutes. When it's at the proper heat it will come apart easily with just a little assistance with a screwdriver. The sealant will stretch as you pull the two pieces apart, just let it break, making sure that the sealant doesn't get on the lenses. (Reinstalling the lenses is the opposite of these steps, heat and push back together, but we'll get to that later.)
After removing the reflector lens (it's clipped in) I loosely mounted the projectors in the housing to see what things will look like:
My donor headlight lenses were a little foggy so I started some polishing work on them (3M Restoration Kit, goes in your drill, works really well):
Here's the hardware you'll need: very small M3x8mm flat-topped Philips head machine screws (in stainless) and 7/8" fender washers. The fender washers sit between the projector and the headlight reflector and seat the projector in the correct position. The screws hold the bulb retainer in place and need to be flat-topped so the bulb can be installed properly.
The provided H4 adapter ensures that your projector is straight and level. Here's the back side with the hardware installed (note: the top of the screws may end up being slightly above the bulb mount platform, this is ok):
So now your headlights should look something like this (lens on loosely):
Here's a couple modifications you should do and are recommended by some on HIDPlanet, but are not required. First here's the cutoff shield as sent by TRS (make sure you do not ruin or change the bend in the actual cutoff shield):
Notice that there are 2 "D" shaped holes in the shield, these will throw some light up into the air, so if little things like that bother you, get some aluminum flash and make a block-off plate:
Some people reported that most of the Gen I solenoids and some of the Gen II solenoids were sticking when alternating between low beams and high beams, (these projector units are Gen II and Gen III just came out), but preventative measures never hurt. Here's the solenoid plunger as sent:
Get your drill, both medium and fine grit sandpaper, and sand the tip just a bit, careful not to take too much material off:
Then spray with graphite lube (which is for high-temp use, good here since HIDs create a ton of heat):
Then reinstall the spring, after making sure to stretch it out some as well:
Then reassemble everything.
Now, tear the front end off the car...
...and install the new headlights. The bumper is just loosely mounted and the lenses are not on the lights, so ignore the gaps and fitment.
Here, the lenses are loosely mounted to see how the final product will look (I like these headlights a lot more without the amber cover for the turn signals):
And here's the cutoff after installation, looks like this will work well when it's completed and adjusted properly:
Where things are currently at as of today: I didn't like how the shrouds attach to the projectors. They clip on in three places, are hard to clip on, and seem to pop off easily anyway. People on HIDPlanet suggest using JB Weld, high temp silicone, or other methods to ensure they stay on. Not a fan of that, especially when it would be difficult to fix should one of those methods fail. However the most recent generation of these projectors include a revised shroud that attaches via four screws in existing holes in the projector, which is a lot more secure. So those are being shipped tomorrow and I'm returning these shrouds to them. And I took the lazy way out and asked for a relay harness too, complete PnP. So the final install is put off just a little longer.