10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Total Cats: 0
Poo on the RS-2. They wear fast, melt on a road course (unless you drive like a *****), and have a sloppy sidewall, and are bouncy on coilovers. They are sticky, and have a great wet pavement reputation, but meh on them.
As far as I'm concerned, it's all about the Kumho Ecsta MX.
- Great grip. Not as good as Azenis, supposedly not as good as RS-2, and not as good as the more expensive Advans and RE01, but still definitely in the "great" category. Certainly better than anything in the T1R/ES100 spectrum
- Great wear. My STI has had agressive camber and screwed up toe for like 5000 miles since I put them on. They're barely showing wear at all, with no signs of tearing off the inside shoulder or anything.
- Cheap. This means they have exceptional bang for the buck.
- Heat Tolerance. They won't melt when you take them on a road course (I haven't verified this personally, but they are the street tire of choice for the Subie track event community, and subies are heavy)
- Good sidewall, at least compared to the RS2.
- Quieter than RE070s.
- Wide. For a given size, they're pretty wide and look really aggressive.