How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair - Page 1211 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #24201
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,185
Total Cats: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
Can anyone confirm if the lower alternator bolt is supposed to have a nut on the end?

Went in for oil changed, mentioned the loose belt & noise. Discovered lower alternator bolt was backing out (almost out).
Depends on the year. 1.6 have a nut, 94+ 1.8 the bolt threads into the alternator.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:50 AM   #24202
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,732
Total Cats: 746
Default

*******. CryptoWall. *******. Four. UNGH! There goes a chunk of my evening.

Oh well, off to go play with backups and make some OT the stupid way.

(I guess I should note this is unrelated to Joes link)
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #24203
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,042
Total Cats: 178
Default

I'm not terrified of accidentally downloading and/or installing cryptowalls...

I'm terrified of my wife downloading and installing a cryptowall.

Have you managed to avoid data loss yet?
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #24204
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,869
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
Can anyone confirm if the lower alternator bolt is supposed to have a nut on the end?

Went in for oil changed, mentioned the loose belt & noise. Discovered lower alternator bolt was backing out (almost out).
No nut. From memory the threaded part is on the alternator.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #24205
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,732
Total Cats: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
I'm not terrified of accidentally downloading and/or installing cryptowalls...

I'm terrified of my wife downloading and installing a cryptowall.
Honestly, your wife is not the target. The most common versions of CryproWall ransomeware target network shares (for the versions I've dealt with specifically, mapped drives) and use the end users rights to overwrite/delete/edit. Home users don't usually have mapped drives and they probably don't have an IT department who knows how to convert cash to bitcoin to pay the ransom, so home users are not the target. Hell, my company is not the target. The real target is small business who probably don't have IT capability or backups but do have business critical information.

If PC, make sure she does not use Internet Explorer, keep your Java and Flash up to date, use something like Ghostery or AdBlockPlus to block ALLTHEADS and keep them up to date. This will mitigate 99.9% of her exposure. Every version of this I've come in contact with was delivered through a compromised banner add delivery service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Have you managed to avoid data loss yet?
We've avoided data loss thus far because we have a super solid system of backups. I will admit I need to come up with some sort of strategy that can mitigate this in process rather than just being reactionary and restoring from backup. Maybe see if its possible to set quotas for file edits or something.

Due to the nature of how this thing is disseminated I can't really yell at the end user (I already checked the webfilter, he wasn't doing anything stupid but I now suspect he may be gay) and our systems policy has everything up to date, so not sure where to go from here.

Oh well, I'm hourly.
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #24206
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 13
Default

So far today was a good day. Rental application for a house near Atlanta was approved, and I have a phone interview with a company that sounds promising. I can't wait to leave this fuckhole of a company and wasteland that is western PA/almost ohio.
stoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #24207
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,506
Total Cats: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
Frustratingly, yes, it should have a bolt on the back. Helluva thing to get to with oil cooler lines in the way.
Was a pain, MSM catch can oil drain was being "helpful"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Depends on the year. 1.6 have a nut, 94+ 1.8 the bolt threads into the alternator.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
No nut. From memory the threaded part is on the alternator.
Blows my mind there is no nut & just a bolt that threads into the alternator. At least the belt stopped squeeking
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #24208
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,392
Total Cats: 1,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoves View Post
So far today was a good day. Rental application for a house near Atlanta was approved, and I have a phone interview with a company that sounds promising.
Where? What part of ATL?
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:26 AM   #24209
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 1,967
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
...he wasn't doing anything stupid but I now suspect he may be gay)...
Made me lol
kenzo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #24210
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 248
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Where? What part of ATL?
Not really ATL, but McDonough. Which is like 25 miles south east of ATL.

I'm so excited to party with TI and Ludacris.
stoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #24211
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,185
Total Cats: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoves View Post
Not really ATL, but McDonough. Which is like 25 miles south east of ATL.

I'm so excited to party with TI and Ludacris.
Don't forget about Soulja Boy. I hear he knows how to party.
Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-soulja-boy.jpg  
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #24212
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,650
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Relevant to a discussion previously:

click to play

Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #24213
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Total Cats: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Relevant to a discussion previously:

click to play

Makes some very good points, however, a self driving car should not be following so close that it couldn't stop as quickly as the car in front, which would be roughly he same as something falling off that vehicle.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #24214
SadFab Sales Lady
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 14,785
Total Cats: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
Makes some very good points, however, a self driving car should not be following so close that it couldn't stop as quickly as the car in front, which would be roughly he same as something falling off that vehicle.
Well it actually has more time. Because the thing falling off the car doesn't have brakes
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #24215
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 102
Default

In the news yesterday, legislators here in CA just came up with a highly controversial (Google is seriously pissed) set of proposed regulations for autonomous vehicle operation within the state. It would require all cars to have a functioning steering wheel and set of pedals and a licensed driver to be behind them at all times. Additionally, said "driver" of the autonomous vehicle must hold an autonomous vehicle operation certification, much like having a Class A license, and will be legally responsible for any and all violations/accidents while driving, INCLUDING any caused by manufacturer software issues.



https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #24216
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,185
Total Cats: 748
Default

Why are good bra's so expensive? I was picking some up for my GF for Christmas and wanted to cry when I left the store. These are just normal properly fitting every day bra's not even things that are super sexy.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #24217
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,249
Total Cats: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
...

I was picking some up for my GF ...
Attached Thumbnails
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif  
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #24218
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 18,765
Total Cats: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Why are good bra's so expensive? I was picking some up for my GF for Christmas and wanted to cry when I left the store. These are just normal properly fitting every day bra's not even things that are super sexy.
ask the engineer who had to design a suspension bridge and then scale it down to the size of some B cups...
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #24219
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,183
Total Cats: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Why are good bra's so expensive? I was picking some up for my GF for Christmas and wanted to cry when I left the store. These are just normal properly fitting every day bra's not even things that are super sexy.
Because they can?

My wife is, shall we say, very well endowed. Enough so, that most store bought brands do not fit. She ends up mail ordering these things that look like medieval torture suits. They cost a small fortune.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #24220
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,042
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
In the news yesterday, legislators here in CA just came up with a highly controversial (Google is seriously pissed) set of proposed regulations for autonomous vehicle operation within the state. It would require all cars to have a functioning steering wheel and set of pedals and a licensed driver to be behind them at all times. Additionally, said "driver" of the autonomous vehicle must hold an autonomous vehicle operation certification, much like having a Class A license, and will be legally responsible for any and all violations/accidents while driving, INCLUDING any caused by manufacturer software issues.



https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
It's California, are you surprised? Many of them would cut off their nose to spite their faces. They want less brownouts but don't want to build a powerplant near the city because it's ugly, and they don't want to build a powerplant away from the city because the miles of high voltage lines "would hurt the environment".

Similarly, self-driving cars can be the near epiotome of efficiency, with far greater average roadway speeds, far greater lane density, far greater safety, and far less pollution, so as a result, they are taking steps to ensure that such a thing never happens.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uconn Car Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 01-23-2016 10:17 PM
Uconn Car Show Sat, April 9th 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 7 04-11-2011 11:00 AM
Uconn Car Club Spring 2010 Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 92 04-12-2010 06:20 PM
anual uconn car show/meet 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 0 02-19-2008 10:03 PM


Tags
brain <3 me, brainy <3s hollywood, cancerous testicles, cuban caveman, furry barnacle, get fragged faeflora, joe p for prez, lyrical joe perez, not hit block, peter falk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.