How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair - Page 1286 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #25701
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marylandistan
Posts: 679
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen2_the_penguin View Post
I did the dewalt impact gun loop hole someone shared here- totally worth it, I love this thing and I basically got a free blower out of it!

Awesome. Glad someone else took advantage of it. My buddy bought the hedge trimmers and i tried them out yesterday. Impressed with those as well. That impact wrench is a BEAST.
stratosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #25702
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,173
Total Cats: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
In related news, Monday is my 10 year anniversary at my current company. Suckers!
Ha. My 10 years was last week. Congrats to us.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #25703
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,173
Total Cats: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
A stock-ish model T isn't nearly as good to drive and live with as a stock-ish model A, fwiw. MANY drivetrain improvements and other refinements.
I have to walk around both of these every time I need to use the rest room. The model A is visibly more refined, but the T is what I would rock.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #25704
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,655
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I have to walk around both of these every time I need to use the rest room. The model A is visibly more refined, but the T is what I would rock.
I'd have a hard time with that one...

Years ago, I worked with a guy down in Dallas who'd restored a model A. Not a "rub it gently with a diaper and carry it in an enclosed trailer to Pebble Beach" restoration, more of a "this is a ten-foot car that you can actually drive, and I've rebuilt the whole wiring harness from scratch using all modern materials" restoration. And you know what? It actually wasn't a horrible car to drive; it even had an electric starter, and things like the throttle, brake, clutch and shifter in what we all assume to be the "normal" location, unlike the model T.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:03 PM   #25705
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,184
Total Cats: 321
Default

I'm torn. Mid 1920's stuff is much more practical as far as a summer driver. There's a 1924 Dodge I've had my eye on, as well as a model A sedan. But the T is so simple, so elemental, so basic. It's like the distilled essence of car. Finding one in that sweet spot between rusted out basket case and restored show car is the toughest part.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #25706
Elite Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,184
Total Cats: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I have to walk around both of these every time I need to use the rest room. The model A is visibly more refined, but the T is what I would rock.
Any possibility you could snap some pics? I just love seeing all the variations of these cars.

rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #25707
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,506
Total Cats: 219
Default

IT Types

I'm piecing together a desktop PC for a friend. Light user, not into gaming. Just needs it for office/internet/media (dvd,bluray,music cds - decent onboard sound etc)

I'm coming to the conclusion when piecing together cases + mobos, its almost better to go with a mid-atx vs a micro-atx? What gives.

For the cpu I'm shooting for i5-6600 & 16gb ram - Windows 10. Will adjust pricing down to lower cpu model if everything goes off budget. ($600ish max)
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #25708
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,480
Total Cats: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
I'm coming to the conclusion when piecing together cases + mobos, its almost better to go with a mid-atx vs a micro-atx? What gives.
Unless you need room for more than a couple storage drives or a massive videocard, what would be the purpose of mid-atx? Micro-atx is a common and widely available format.
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #25709
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,869
Total Cats: 483
Default

I recently made a mini ATX build. Runs like a champ.
reuse as many parts as you can and find what you can on ebay.
If you need to go smaller look for a mini ITX board.

Also why do you need DDR4? DDR3 boards can be had for 40-50 bucks.
Not sure if you remember my build but for facebook, internet, movies, and other light programs it rocks.

Tripzters mini computer.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #25710
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,655
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
I'm piecing together a desktop PC for a friend. Light user, not into gaming. Just needs it for office/internet/media (dvd,bluray,music cds - decent onboard sound etc)
(...)
For the cpu I'm shooting for i5-6600 & 16gb ram - Windows 10. Will adjust pricing down to lower cpu model if everything goes off budget. ($600ish max)
Serious question: if it's just a simple machine for simple uses, why build when you can buy? It's generally cheaper, plus they get a warranty.

This one meets all your specs, and is $100 below your budget: Acer Desktop Computer Aspire T AT3-710-UR53 Intel Core i5 6th Gen 6400 (2.7 GHz) 16 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

In terms of the processor, that one boasts nearly double the passmark score of the CPU in my home machine (2010 vintage i5-750) on which I run AutoCAD and play TF2. Present-day mainstream CPUs are so overpowered as compared to application demands that it's getting downright silly.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM   #25711
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,869
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Serious question: if it's just a simple machine for simple uses, why build when you can buy? It's generally cheaper, plus they get a warranty.

This one meets all your specs, and is $100 below your budget: Acer Desktop Computer Aspire T AT3-710-UR53 Intel Core i5 6th Gen 6400 (2.7 GHz) 16 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com
Because for 500 bucks you can build a much better system?
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM   #25712
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,732
Total Cats: 746
Default

Since when do 'light users' need 16gb of ram? /boggle
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #25713
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,655
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
Because for 500 bucks you can build a much better system?
Show me the build specs, including the retail cost of the OS.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #25714
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,009
Total Cats: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
Since when do 'light users' need 16gb of ram? /boggle
Because reasons.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #25715
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 2,942
Total Cats: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Because reasons.
I pretty much consider 16G to be the useful minimum these days.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #25716
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,732
Total Cats: 746
Default

For word processing and spreadsheets? So I'm guessing you also need an i7, a GTX 980 Ti and 1000w PSU?
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #25717
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,869
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Show me the build specs, including the retail cost of the OS.
Here's 1 that will wipe the floor with that 6400
Intel Core i5-4440, Diablotek DIAMOND - System Build - PCPartPicker

Also keep in mind those are NEW. If you go with refurbished/used product you can get it for cheaper.

Last edited by triple88a; 05-31-2016 at 07:58 PM.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #25718
Elite Member
 
codrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 2,942
Total Cats: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
For word processing and spreadsheets? So I'm guessing you also need an i7, a GTX 980 Ti and 1000w PSU?
I'm just tired of running out memory whenever I decide I want to load photoshop or run a VM.

--Ian
codrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #25719
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,655
Total Cats: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
Here's 1 that will wipe the floor with that 6400
Intel Core i5-4440, Diablotek DIAMOND - System Build - PCPartPicker
Wipe the floor? It doesn't even satisfy the criteria of being "a much better system"

The Passmark score on the i5-4440 is lower than the i5-6400 and consumes 30% more power, which you'd expect given that it's two generations older. It also has a much lower-performance GPU (not that any on-chip GPU is especially fast.)

It lacks an optical drive of any kind, and the reviews on that case constantly criticize both the build quality and the unreliable power supply.

Not to mention that 256GB is way too small to be the only drive in a Win10 system. A 5400 RPM rustbox might not yield breathtaking performance, but for the average user, the 2TB capacity is going to be much more valuable.

You also forgot the mouse and keyboard, and as specified, you have no front USB 3.0 ports.
Joe Perez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:03 PM   #25720
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,869
Total Cats: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Wipe the floor? It doesn't even satisfy the criteria of being "a much better system"

The Passmark score on the i5-4440 is lower than the i5-6400 and consumes 30% more power, which you'd expect given that it's two generations older. It also has a much lower-performance GPU (not that any on-chip GPU is especially fast.)

It lacks an optical drive of any kind, and the reviews on that case constantly criticize both the build quality and the unreliable power supply.

Not to mention that 256GB is way too small to be the only drive in a Win10 system. A 5400 RPM rustbox might not yield breathtaking performance, but for the average user, the 2TB capacity is going to be much more valuable.

You also forgot the mouse and keyboard, and as specified, you have no front USB 3.0 ports.
Yes wipe the floor. Also your scores are wrong.
Intel Core i5 6400 vs 4440
Optical drive is also included on that list.
You can add a 1-2tb HDD drive if you'd like or you can even swap it for a 512gb that costs 83 bucks at the moment or if you want to lower the cost further, remove the SSD completely and get a HDD alone. There's other cases with front usb 3.0s within 10 bucks of that case. I didnt bother looking for fancy cases as i was at work.

Oh and not to mention thats about 100 bucks less.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uconn Car Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 01-23-2016 10:17 PM
Uconn Car Show Sat, April 9th 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 7 04-11-2011 11:00 AM
Uconn Car Club Spring 2010 Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 92 04-12-2010 06:20 PM
anual uconn car show/meet 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 0 02-19-2008 10:03 PM


Tags
brain <3 me, brainy <3s hollywood, cancerous testicles, cuban caveman, furry barnacle, get fragged faeflora, joe p for prez, lyrical joe perez, not hit block, peter falk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.