How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair - Page 1308 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #26141
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,254
Total Cats: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
How is compare?

[IMG]spray-on foam insulation[/IMG]
Somewhat apples to oranges. Foam is more effective against heat from conduction and convection VS. radiant, which is your primarily heat source in summer. There are some good comments here comparing the two:

http://www.norbord.com/na/blog/spray...-pros-and-cons

Something I should mention though, is that radiant works best only in certain climate zones** (1-3 per manufacturers), so if you're outside those, spray-on may be better.

http://tucsonsprayfoaminsulation.com...vs-spray-foam/

(Do note that the likelihood of some bias in each of these links, given their respective position in the industry.)


**ba_climateguide_7_1.pdf (see map on page 6)

Last edited by good2go; 07-09-2016 at 03:25 PM.
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #26142
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,345
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
How is compare?

There's quite a bit to it. Wall or roof? Cathedral or Attic? If attic will the utilities be up there i.e. Furnace, AC etc?

Buyer's Guide to Insulation

We gutted and remodeled a property in NH a few years ago and this consumed quite a bit of time/discussion on the project.

We opted for blown-in fiberglass on the walls and 2nd FL ceiling (12") as the existing framing was 8" (old barn) and it was cost effective.

On the Roof slope (picture a cape roof slope from the eave up past the 2nd FL ceiling we opted for Closed Cell spray-in foam because of the performance especially on the slope. We decided to keep the attic as cool as possible and installed plenty of venting (eave + ridge).

So vapor barrier was applied to the inside of the exterior walls and the underside of the 2nd floor ceiling rafters.

The entire exterior was sheathed in rigid foam 1".

In the summer, there's only a week or so you'd like AC so we installed a whole house fan unit (HV1600 R38 Whole House Fan ) mounted in the middle of the 2nd floor. When you open the downstairs windows the thing moves so much air it'll shut room doors on it's own. Air exchange is something like 10X/Hr.

Probably more than you wanted to know...
bahurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #26143
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,671
Total Cats: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
There's quite a bit to it. Wall or roof? Cathedral or Attic? If attic will the utilities be up there i.e. Furnace, AC etc?
Given the context provided by the several previous posts, we can infer the following:

1: Roof.

2: Cathedral (garage with open ceiling).

3: Only utility present is a window A/C unit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
In the summer, there's only a week or so you'd like AC so we installed a whole house fan unit (HV1600 R38 Whole House Fan ) mounted in the middle of the 2nd floor. When you open the downstairs windows the thing moves so much air it'll shut room doors on it's own. Air exchange is something like 10X/Hr.
Your experience in the Cincinnati metro area is not relevant to the OP who lives in Charleston, SC. (And I'll disclose that after moving to Mason, OH from southern FL, I was amused by the locals warning me about how hot and humid the summers were in the OH river valley. You middle-eastern folk have no concept of heat & humidity.)
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #26144
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,345
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Given the context provided by the several previous posts, we can infer the following:

1: Roof.

2: Cathedral (garage with open ceiling).

3: Only utility present is a window A/C unit.




Your experience in the Cincinnati metro area is not relevant to the OP who lives in Charleston, SC. (And I'll disclose that after moving to Mason, OH from southern FL, I was amused by the locals warning me about how hot and humid the summers were in the OH river valley. You middle-eastern folk have no concept of heat & humidity.)
Sorry, thought your "how is compare" (#26139) was a real question relevant to the picture and in keeping with the rambling subject line of the forum. It wasn't Cincinnati anyway. But OK.
bahurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #26145
SOMEOFIT
iTrader: (1)
 
Girz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,510
Total Cats: 219
Default

Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #26146
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,401
Total Cats: 1,016
Default

My lawnmower's Briggs and Stratton plastic engine cover and red plastic fuel can for the lawn mower are covered with mold from the humidity. I can't leave the MOMO in the Miata when I'm not driving it or it will be covered with mold in a week or two.

The dew point in Cincinnati is 61 today. Here it is a ridiculous 75. There is a huge difference in the feel between the two. Charleston is a respectable 70, New York is 65, St. Louis is 65, Los Angeles is 64, Sacramento is 54.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #26147
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,205
Total Cats: 749
Default

For reference here are pictures of the walls and roof in my garage.

How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-bnsolub.jpg
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-mk8n2uj.jpg
How (and why) to Ramble On your domestic shorthair-f3eegq8.jpg
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #26148
Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,401
Total Cats: 1,016
Default

Is the peak of the roof ridge vented? Or the side walls up near the peak? They need to be to allow the heat out.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #26149
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,205
Total Cats: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Is the peak of the roof ridge vented? Or the side walls up near the peak? They need to be to allow the heat out.
I don't think so, but I have never looked.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #26150
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,345
Total Cats: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Is the peak of the roof ridge vented? Or the side walls up near the peak? They need to be to allow the heat out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
I don't think so, but I have never looked.
You can put a ridge vent in easy and like he says it'll make a big difference on it's own. Soffit vents also.


bahurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #26151
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,205
Total Cats: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
You can put a ridge vent in easy and like he says it'll make a big difference on it's own. Soffit vents also.


I have soffit and ridge vents.

The AC unit is to big for my window. So I am going to mount it straight into the well.

Last edited by shuiend; 07-10-2016 at 05:16 PM.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #26152
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 2,974
Total Cats: 103
Default

Is there any point in keeping my miata? It's been in storage in a different country for the past 4 years, haven't seen or touched it in 3. It's completely gutted, engine and gearbox are out and I have all parts for a reliable 160rwhp build (rods, pistons, squaretop manifold, skunk TB, SUB lifters, Rev MS3X, FIC injectors, 949 sport clutch, Fidanza pro-lite fw, etc etc) at my engine shop. No cash and time for it to be rebuilt for the foreseeable future since I attend uni in the UK and only fly back for long weekends to go racing with my team back home. Car has rollbar and bolted in hardtop, decent track suspension. Shell is mostly rust-free since I last checked but has various holes and stuff cut out for track use. Return to street car status and selling it seems like more effort than it is worth. It's costing me a monthly storage fee, no insurance/tax/other crap. I'd hate to just sell it for near scrap price but I also hate knowing it's not being used. What do
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #26153
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 1,953
Total Cats: 106
Default

How much longer will you be over seas? You already paid to store it this long, if you are coming home I would just bite the bullet and keep it.

If you will be away for indeterminate amount of time I would sell. It's a shame you won't have someone to part it out though, because you might make some of your money back then.
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #26154
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,748
Total Cats: 748
Default

For whatever the **** reason our phone switch is filling up its internal storage (60gb IIRC? The Linux host OS uses like 350~400mb so IDKWTF.) Once the storage is full the system locks down all functions (such as voicemail password resets) until space is freed up. This has happened twice since we put in the new system a couple years ago, but then all of a sudden this is the third time in the last 2 months. I have no root access to the device so once again we submit a ticket to Avaya support so they can clear out the temp files...

It's always ******* Monday, isn't it?
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #26155
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,335
Total Cats: 43
Default

All this talk of insulation and I just discovered that my thermostat is mounted on a wall with southern exposure and no insulation. My last thermostat, I could manually recalibrate it to compensate for about 3 degree temp difference between the wall and true interior temp. I installed a "Smart" thermostat over the weekend, and it does not allow user calibration. Who designs instruments that the end user cannot calibrate???

Either way, I will be pulling new wire and relocating the Tsat to an interior wall soon.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #26156
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (6)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,486
Total Cats: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
All this talk of insulation and I just discovered that my thermostat is mounted on a wall with southern exposure and no insulation. My last thermostat, I could manually recalibrate it to compensate for about 3 degree temp difference between the wall and true interior temp. I installed a "Smart" thermostat over the weekend, and it does not allow user calibration. Who designs instruments that the end user cannot calibrate???

Either way, I will be pulling new wire and relocating the Tsat to an interior wall soon.
What thermostat?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #26157
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,205
Total Cats: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO2K View Post
For whatever the **** reason our phone switch is filling up its internal storage (60gb IIRC? The Linux host OS uses like 350~400mb so IDKWTF.) Once the storage is full the system locks down all functions (such as voicemail password resets) until space is freed up. This has happened twice since we put in the new system a couple years ago, but then all of a sudden this is the third time in the last 2 months. I have no root access to the device so once again we submit a ticket to Avaya support so they can clear out the temp files...

It's always ******* Monday, isn't it?
What type of server is it? Do you have physical access to the box? Can you have downtime? You can always boot off a live cd, mount the drive, change root password on the drive, then reboot into the system and have root. Avaya might get mad but whatever.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #26158
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,335
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
What thermostat?
Nest. Apparently the early versions didn't think that you want or need to see the room temperature at all, either.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #26159
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 2,974
Total Cats: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiburbian View Post
How much longer will you be over seas? You already paid to store it this long, if you are coming home I would just bite the bullet and keep it.

If you will be away for indeterminate amount of time I would sell. It's a shame you won't have someone to part it out though, because you might make some of your money back then.
I honestly don't know. Planning is at least one more year to finish undergrad, maybe pursue a master's degree and then see where ever I find myself employed. I could have it parted out but I'm really not sure I want to sell at this point.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #26160
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 8,748
Total Cats: 748
Default

I said switch before, that was inaccurate. Its actually the messaging appliance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
What type of server is it?
Avaya CMM (Communications Manager Messaging) runs on some bastardized version of *nix with a web front end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Do you have physical access to the box?
Its in this building yes. Its a physical HP pizza box supplied by Avaya that runs some flavor of virtual machine host that runs the VM that is CMM. The thing is a Black Box as far as I'm concerned. Customers do not have root access to the VM host, the CMM VM (other than the web interface) or the file system therein. I can run reports and get directory sizes so I can SEE the problem, but I can't directly interact with the file system to do anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Can you have downtime?
I mean we can, we have a backup CMM in another building on campus that will take over but I don't need that headache today. Of the 400 users in this system the 3 that are effected can be locked out of their voicemail while Avaya fixes this, its just annoying as hell that it keeps happening because I LOOOOOOVE submitting SR tickets with Avaya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
You can always boot off a live cd, mount the drive, change root password on the drive, then reboot into the system and have root.
Avaya might get mad but whatever.
I have a feeling that would make them very, very angry
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uconn Car Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 1 01-23-2016 10:17 PM
Uconn Car Show Sat, April 9th 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 7 04-11-2011 11:00 AM
Uconn Car Club Spring 2010 Show 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 92 04-12-2010 06:20 PM
anual uconn car show/meet 240_to_miata Local Meets, Events and Tech Days 0 02-19-2008 10:03 PM


Tags
brain <3 me, brainy <3s hollywood, cancerous testicles, cuban caveman, furry barnacle, get fragged faeflora, joe p for prez, lyrical joe perez, not hit block, peter falk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.