The Random Pictures Thread. Only Rule: Post here more and entertain me. - Page 190 - Miata Turbo Forum -Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #3781
I'm a terrible person
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,292
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
It's all about gearing. You can gear anything to produce 100x more torque than it normally does, but gearing will never change the amount of horsepower. I could easily gear the 200ft/lb engine to produce 1000 ft/lb of torque, and it would still be producing 500hp. I could also easily gear the 500ft/lb engine to produce that same 1000ft/lb of torque....and it would still be producing only 200hp.

You now have 2 engines producing 1000 ft/lb of torque. Given flat torque curves, one of them (the 200hp engine) Now spins up to 1050 RPM, while the other engine (the 500hp engine) will spin up to 2625 RPM.

So if this engine, with the above mentioned gearing in place was directly turning the wheels without any more additional gearing (a.k.a. transmission), the question is: Do you want a car that will produce 1000ft/lb of torque up to 71.6 MPH (200hp), or do you want the car that will produce that exact same amount of torque up to 178.9 MPH (500hp)

How does gearing affect you? A stock 1994 5-speed Miata is geared to put over 1400 FT/LB of torque to the road in first gear....think about that.
Makes sense.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #3782
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 12,184
Total Cats: 748
Default

shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #3783
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

Streaker:
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #3784
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
jeff_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,046
Total Cats: 103
Default

Sounds like a bag of cats in a blinder

jeff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #3785
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 630
Total Cats: 19
Default

Opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #3786
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

[QUOTE=jeff_man;764679]Sounds like a bag of cats in a blinder

That really does sound like a cat in a blender
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #3787
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

gonna get a chuper for my vette so it can sound broken
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #3788
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

wtf is a chuper
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #3789
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

chuperchargers
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #3790
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 18
Default

ahh, a thupertharger, gotcha.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #3791
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,654
Total Cats: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Wow, Really?? Are you that ignorant??

Horsepower means ****. Its nothing more than a mathematical calculation of TORQUE and engine RPM. There mere dictionary definition of the word "horsepower" pretty much speaks it all:

horse·pow·er   [hawrs-pou-er]
noun
1. a foot-pound-second unit of power, equivalent to 550 foot-pounds per second, or 745.7 watts.


The formula is something along the lines of 2π(force * radius)(RPM)/33,000 ft-lb/min = HP

Without mechanical torque and James Watt your precious horsepower would simply not exist so GTFO with your "Listen to Carol Shelby too much" bullshit. By the way, how many professional race series have you won? How many cars have you designed and built from the ground up? Yeah, none.


Yah, Im the ignorant one.
Thank you for defining power and torque for me, although youre about 10 years too late.

The key word in that statement was the word "peak". Peak torque is meaningless because it is completely without context. In reality it is the volume of the torque curve, within the rpm range used between gears.
The issue is further complicated by torque multiplication, by which gearing shorter and building the engine to rev as high as possible, you can make the torque volume even larger.
This is why Hondas are fast even though they make relatively low peak torque, this is why F1 cars are fast even though they make relatively low peak torque, and this is why diesels, bicycles, and mountains are so slow.

Carroll Shelby was an innovator in the 60's and I'd like to believe that his quote is very misused, but if he truly believes that quote word-for-word, then he has a very poor understanding of physics and mechanics. Just because he made a name for himself and had a successful career in the in infancy of racing does not mean that he knows everything.
I dont claim to be an expert but I have built a couple successful race cars and I took some physics in college, so I know enough to know that what Im saying is pretty accurate (although poorly explained).

Also, Im not sure if youre having a bad day or what, but you sounds like a total fuckface.

Last edited by Full_Tilt_Boogie; 08-28-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #3792
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Can't tell if serious.

If serious, *you* are that ignorant.

You see, "TORQUE" is completely useless without a little sumpin-sumpin we call "RPM".

Horsepower is the actual measure of useable power that we get from our engine. Horsepower does "work", Torque does not.
Not only do I disagree with you, so do many people who know a hell of a lot more about physics than I do. Just an FYI- I'm far too intoxicated to even care about debating something with you that I believe to be fact. Furthermore when I'm no longer this intoxicated I still won't care enough to debate this with you.

Google it. You'll find a LOT of supporting evidence on my side of the argument.


lol.. "Yeah! ******' bitch!"
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #3793
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Not only do I disagree with you, so do many people who know a hell of a lot more about physics than I do. Just an FYI- I'm far too intoxicated to even care about debating something with you that I believe to be fact. Furthermore when I'm no longer this intoxicated I still won't care enough to debate this with you.

Google it. You'll find a LOT of supporting evidence on my side of the argument.


lol.. "Yeah! ******' bitch!"
the ergonomics of those cars is what kept me from buying one. they are so god awful to drive! plus they are PIGS.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #3794
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

some HIV+ fagggot sent me some bullshit



I think I'm going to stick one on my ***
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #3795
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,042
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Not only do I disagree with you, so do many people who know a hell of a lot more about physics than I do. Just an FYI- I'm far too intoxicated to even care about debating something with you that I believe to be fact. Furthermore when I'm no longer this intoxicated I still won't care enough to debate this with you.

Google it. You'll find a LOT of supporting evidence on my side of the argument.
A poster I once saw in second grade said: "A mind is like a parachute, it works best when open."

Have you ever thought about "why"? Have you ever formed your *own* opinion or reasoning about this? I didn't find someone else's argument and say it was my own, instead I stepped back and analyzed the problem myself. I formed my own hypothesis based on mathematical calculations, logic, and simple reasoning. Then I went back and compared it with how other forms of energy do work. After all this, the only answer that even makes the slightest bit of sense is that torque, while admittedly an important factor, is exactly as relevant as the engine's maximum RPM. Why don't people talk about RPM as much as they talk about torque? That sounds silly, doesn't it? My car goes to 7500, bob's car only goes to 5000. That means I can beat Bob in a race. The argument that torque is more important than horsepower is exactly as valid as this example...

If I wanted to accept someone else's opinion as fact instead of forming my own argument, I would do exactly what you've done:

"Google it. You'll find a LOT of supporting evidence on my side of the argument."

There's a reason you still won't care to debate me when you are no longer intoxicated: You have no passion for what you believe. Do you know why you have no passion for what you believe? It's because you didn't come to terms with that belief by yourself. Other people have forced that belief onto you.

Do you know what other ideal comes with forming your own hypothesis/opinion on the subject? It is the fact that I know that at any given second, I could be proven wrong with proper evidence, and if such a thing were to occur, I would have no choice but to accept the fact that I was wrong and change my hypothesis based on this new evidence. When your opinion comes from the mouths of others, you will never believe that you are wrong, because other people have said so. It doesn't matter if they're geniouses or complete idiots; the only way to change *your* opinion on the subject is for them to change *their* opinions first. Ever heard of "groupthink"?

Give me a rationale that I can chew on; give me a reasoning that makes sense; give me evidence of the contrary, and it's possible that you may force me to change my opinion. Unfortunately, I will never be able to affect your opinion, because your mind is made, you're stuck in your ways, and you form your beliefs on the basis of others. Open your mind and a new world will open for you.

fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #3796
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,173
Total Cats: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
Take a good look at the background. Video was shot in New Jersey.
Ahhh so he borrows all his toys from Picatinny?

What to you see that clues you into NJ? Or do you recognize the mcdonalds?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #3797
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 120
Total Cats: 0
Default

I guess this is what it's like to have a large portion of the Pacific Ocean over your head? ***** + skill = this:

Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #3798
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

easily one of the greatest albums of all time

pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #3799
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusha View Post
easily one of the greatest albums of all time
**** yeah it was. I had that **** on cassette in like 92. Interesting story on that album for those who don't know and are interested:

Quote:
In 1989, the group released their album, As Nasty As They Wanna Be, which also became the group's most successful album. A large part of its success was due to the single "Me So Horny", which was popular despite little radio rotation. The American Family Association (AFA) did not think the presence of a "Parental Advisory" sticker was enough to adequately warn listeners of what was inside the case. Jack Thompson, a lawyer affiliated with the AFA, met with Florida Governor Bob Martinez and convinced him to look into the album to see if it met the legal classification of obscene. In 1990 action was taken at the local level and Nick Navarro, Broward County sheriff, received a ruling from County Circuit Court judge Mel Grossman that probable cause for obscenity violations existed. In response, Luther Campbell maintained that people should focus on issues relating to hunger and poverty rather than on the lyrical content of their music.
Navarro warned record store owners that selling the album may be prosecutable. The 2 Live Crew then filed a suit against Navarro. That June, U.S. district court Judge Jose Gonzalez ruled the album obscene and illegal to sell. Charles Freeman, a local retailer, was arrested two days later, after selling a copy to an undercover police officer. This was followed by the arrest of three members of The 2 Live Crew after they performed some material from the album at a nightclub. They were acquitted soon after, as professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. testified at their trial in defense of their lyrics. Freeman's conviction was overturned on appeal as well.
In 1992, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit overturned the obscenity ruling from Judge Gonzalez, and the Supreme Court of the United States refused to hear Broward County's appeal. As in the Freeman case, Gates testified on behalf of Navarro, arguing that the material that the county alleged was profane actually had important roots in African-American vernacular, games, and literary traditions and should be protected.
As a result of the controversy, As Nasty As They Wanna Be sold over two million copies. It peaked at #29 on The Billboard 200 and #3 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. A few other retailers were later arrested for selling it as well, including Canadian Marc Emery who was convicted in Ontario in 1991, and would later gain fame as a marijuana activist. Later hard rock band Van Halen sued over an uncleared sample of their song "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" in The 2 Live Crew Song "The **** Shop". The publicity then continued when George Lucas, owner of the Star Wars universe, successfully sued Campbell for appropriating the name "Skywalker" for his record label, Luke Skyywalker Records. Campbell changed his stage name to Luke (and changed the record label's name to Luke Records) and the group released an extremely political follow up album, Banned in the USA after obtaining permission to use an interpolation of Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A. The 2 Live Crew paraphernalia with the Luke Skyywalker or Skyywalker logos are often sought-after collector's items.
******* epic.


NSFW Lyrics:


The "Me So Horny" and "Me love you long time" came from two different movies. Which Way Is Up? (1977) and Full Metal Jacket (1987)



I still remember all the words to that song..

Last edited by elesjuan; 08-28-2011 at 09:51 PM.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #3800
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
pusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 7,363
Total Cats: -28
Default

I've had sex to that album countless times.
pusha is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 52 08-28-2016 05:18 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
wiring wideband ground to battery terminal btabor ECUs and Tuning 10 09-28-2015 06:33 PM


Tags
bbbjtcws, fap damage critical, fapanoidus, fapanomanon, furious fap damage, joe perez, mlp porn, mods' asleep; post ponies, pirate treasure, redhead fine art, wetwork, where's my pants

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.