I started with some stripes pipes (thanks gospeed). They had a little surface rust on them (I knew about this before purchasing) so I put them on a grinder until they were shiny. Then I painted them black.
I recommend the "hang with string" method for anyone painting pipes. I thought they turned out good. The next step was to fab up some brackets. Because the instructions to the stripes kit was not easy to find, I am including them in this post for future reference.
The instructions are pretty self explanatory. I ended up using the machine shop on campus. I had to battle with the machine shop director to let me use the drill press and bandsaw, in the end he relented. He actually asked to see my undergrad transcripts and would NOT let me borrow safety glasses.
After getting miscellaneous bolts and nuts from Ace (not Lowe's, not Home Depot...Ace) I bolted it up. Here is a picture of the final product:
Clay bar'd the hood, looks great, but adds a lot of glare in the photo. I've noticed that the FMIC brings a lot of attention with it (considering painting it black). Had a run-in with an RX-8 on the freeway, i can't believe how slow they are, i'll relate that story in another post.