Programming a Blank MS-I Processor
The steps to program a blank processor (i.e. not a group buy unit) are listed below. Make sure you have the latest version of the Prog08sz software. Get the latest version at 68hc908pgm : 68HC908 programmer kit
1. For MegaSquirt® code (not Tomtek ignition), download the megasquirt.s19 file(s) you wish to use OR assemble megasquirt.asm(or megasquirtDT.asm, etc.) into its respective “.s19” file. See how to do this in the “CODE” section of the MegaSquirt® FAQ. (Tomtek ignition code, dual table MS code, and version 2 and later standard MegaSquirt® code already contain the boot loader, so you only need to assemble the megasquirt.asm file.)
2. Start up prog08sz, you might have to retry several times to connect. If you cannot get a connection, read the 908 archives for some hints on debugging.
3. Often the connect problem is low voltage due to a wimpy serial port, so you might want to eliminate this problem by connecting an external power source. (e.g., a 9 volt battery) to the circuit. Connect the positive (+) side of the battery to the banded side of D2 (or D1) and the negative (-) side to a ground point (e.g., the mounting lug on the 9 pin connector).
4. Select the 908_gp32.08p module when asked to "Specify Programming Algorithm to Use".
5. If this chip has been programmed before, you need to erase it (if in doubt, do this anyhow). Click on the button with the “pencil erasing” icon (6th from the left) to Erase Module. When this is done, it says "Erasing. Module has been erased" in the lower left corner of the screen, after which you should verify the chip with Blank Check Module (the button beside Erase Module). You should get a message saying "Erased."
6. For version 1.0 of the code only, click on "SS Specify S Record" in the window on the middle left [or the 19diskette19 button in the menu], and select "boot_r12.s19".
Note that Version 2 and later .s19 files include the boot_r12 file, and this step should be skipped. Click on "Program Module" [on the menu on the left, or use the button beside the “diskette”/Specify Recordbutton]. After a few seconds, it should complete. Then you can then click on "VM Verify Module" [on the menu on the left, or use the button beside the “Program Module” button]. You should get a message that the module was “verified”.
7. Click on Specify S Record as above, this time selecting "megasquirt.s19" Follow this with "Program Module", then "Verify Module".
8. Disconnect the serial cable from the programmer, unlatch the ZIF lever, remove the chip, and you should be ready to insert the chip into a MegaSquirt® controller and run.