Here's the latest! I had to travel for work all last week, but found a couple hours yesterday and today to knock out a few more items.
Here's a picture of the fan I ordered from Summit Racing compared to the stock fan. Replacing the fan wasn't 100% necessary, but it sure did free up room to install the hot side turbo piping.
Below are the upper brackets that I made to mount the intercooler. They are pretty simple, but strong.
The intercooler mounted. You can see the passenger side bracket, but the driver's side is barely noticeable. I used two holes that were already in the factory core support. It's like Mazda stuck 'em in there for this purpose. To get to the bolts, I loosened the four 10mm bolts that hold the condenser in place.
Here's the intercooler piping after being welded up and painted. I've done this on a few cars and found the Miata to be fairly simple. I re-used a 1G DSM blow off valve and flange that I had lying around from another project. The section of hose is Napa truck radiator hose. It is 2.5" and is very tough. It comes in a variety of bends and is affordable compared to the same part in silicone.
Pic of the intercooler piping being test-fitted. You can see how much room is freed up from the slimmer cooling fan. I didn't have to relocate the power steering reservoir thanks to using 2" piping on the hot side.
Pic of the engine bay with the turbo re-clocked and all intercooler piping installed. the lovely orange couplers will be replaced with black ones soon, they're all I had on hand at the time.
Also, I had accidentally overlooked the small throttle body bypass hose, so I welded a little section of pipe to the IC pipe that leads to the throttle body. Also, the blow off valve will be plumbed back into the intake, I just haven't got around to that yet.
Intercooler mounted! I was thrilled that the front end didn't have to be removed for this install. Overall I am happy with how it came out. I'll probably paint the clamps black so they aren't as noticeable. I still need to modify and install the stock plastic under trays, which will require a little trimming here and there.
The last thing I took care of today was the Vortech FMU. This was a piece of cake. I still have to plumb the vacuum lines to it and the boost gauge.
My "to-do" list is getting shorter! Next time I'll finish up the exhaust and fab up an intake setup.
Thanks again for the comments and support!