Originally Posted by Downmented
Thread bump. To any of you that had issues with this, have they been resolved? If so how? Have you guys been in contact with v8r in regards to the issues and have they communicated any interest in implementing a fix in their current kits? Almost a year since the last post here which Is plenty of time to make fixes to the kit.
I guess not much to report on from my end.
Disclaimer: I got a super early kit (they didn't even have instructions yet) and I don't know if they are offering different parts yet. Also, everybody's car may have individual circumstances that could be different.
You should call them yourselves if you have any questions. And, as much as it may sound like I'm griping, V8Roadsters customer service is probably one of the best experiences with a company I've ever had.
Now that said; it's a great kit to get you most of the way there, but depending on your level of acceptance, you may spend some extra time making it work better.
I gave them my opinion with pictures to them of the issues I was having and they politely said I either had some pieces wrong or needed stiffer bushings. Whether or not anyone else provided them with feedback since then, I do not know.
I was seeing a ton of flex from the pinion of the diff even after I replaced the OM GM bushing with a poly bushing. When you loaded or unloaded the tranny hard in gear, it looked like the shifter was rowing a boat. And I was missing 1st to 2nd gear 50% of the time when shifting fast. In my opinion there is just too much leverage on that 1 front pinion bushing no matter how stiff a bushing(even a solid metal bushing). It needs to be securely mounted like the welded tab they use for the V8 cars that get rid of the PPF, or a bracket like I made. If you saw this in person, you would understand what I mean.
The bracket I made completely fixed the issue and I can't remember the last time I missed 2nd gear. It's better than the OEM setup. I think what causes people to miss 1-2 is the slop of everything moving from the engine mounts, down through the PPF to the diff mounts. The bracket I made adds a 3rd mounting point. So I have polly diff bushings, the bracket connecting the pinion to the ladder bar, and original motor mounts.
I opted for the aluminum drive shaft when they had the special when the kit first came out. It ended up being really out of balance, and V8Roadsters was great in helping me send it back in exchange for a regular steel one. It was only 2lbs heaver and didn't have any balance issue. 8Roadsters does not make these, they are from another company.
The bushings that came for the diff mount bracket are thin at the top which moves the whole diff futher up and causes the top of the PPF to hit the rear sub frame. I bent the top of the PPF down a little and glued on a hard rubber sheet to it which is basically sandwiched between it and the subframe. I showed this to them and they said I must have had something wrong. And even if it were further spaced down, the PPF would just hit it anyways under load when it flexed.
The Getrar diff kinda has a lot of slop in it and makes a little noise under certain conditions like slow speeds/parking lots when fuel overrun kicks in and CL idle kicks the fuel back in. Other than that, you never notice the slop. It also whines around 50mph, but that's the only time it does.
You'll need to re calibrate the speedo pulse width somehow, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. 60 indicated is around 72mph and 70 indicated is ~85 with 15x8s.
That's most of all I can think of right now. I've got probably between 5-10k miles on it so far. The gearing is absolutely wonderful for a street car with at least 250whp. I've even got my boost down to 12psi right now, so maybe 200whp and yeah it's doesn't pull through the gears as fast, but it's still great. 1st to 2nd is a little big. Under full throttle, mine drops from 7400 to 4800.
Anyways, sorry for the essay. Curious to see what the other members who have the kit have to report.