Adaptronic on stock 2002 NBB before installing turbo - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default Adaptronic on stock 2002 NBB before installing turbo

Good afternoon all,

I have overly confused myself by reading all of the posts under the Adaptronic heading. There is a bunch of good information here but I have some dumbass questions. Since all of the posts I have seen are on a turboed car with WB02 the GM IAT (open element) sensor installed...my situation is looking to be, well different.

In my initial install, the plan is to go adaptronic on the car being stock... just to quash all of the issues before turboing and adding more variables. I also hope to be able to provide a good base map for anyone needing one for a stock NBB.

Anyhow, the questions I am coming up with are:
On the Adaptronic, can I install this without a WB02 and expect anything good to come of it? Alternately, I already have an AEM UEGO; but I am out of holes! If I were to yank my front factory 02 sensor from the car and keep the UEGO there (connected via serial DB9)... will this cause me any issues? Is anyone out there retaining both factory 02 sensors in addtion to the WB?

Now with the IAT sensor, I still have my factory one there...since the car is stock and all. Is it suggested to install the GM sensor and stuff it in the factory location till I go turbo in another week or so? Or shall I stick with the factory IAT?

Also, if it is at all possible... I would like to be able to go without OBDII codes. We have emissions testing every 2 years and if it is even remotely possible to run without CELs on... it would make me feel better about my wife driving the car. (It is a mental thing on her side.) If I leave the MAF installed and the factory 02 sensors in place, are there any other things that may give a CEL?

Anyhow, I am suffering from information overload. Really need the help because cold feet are starting to set in.

Oh, and does anyone feel like sharing their base map? I will be running 600CC Deatschwerks Injectors once the adaptronic is functioning well on the factory config. Then the turbo kit from my 99 will go onto the 2002.

Thanks everyone and cheers,
Matt
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Good afternoon all,

I have overly confused myself by reading all of the posts under the Adaptronic heading. There is a bunch of good information here but I have some dumbass questions. Since all of the posts I have seen are on a turboed car with WB02 the GM IAT (open element) sensor installed...my situation is looking to be, well different.

In my initial install, the plan is to go adaptronic on the car being stock... just to quash all of the issues before turboing and adding more variables. I also hope to be able to provide a good base map for anyone needing one for a stock NBB.

Anyhow, the questions I am coming up with are:
On the Adaptronic, can I install this without a WB02 and expect anything good to come of it? Alternately, I already have an AEM UEGO; but I am out of holes! If I were to yank my front factory 02 sensor from the car and keep the UEGO there (connected via serial DB9)... will this cause me any issues? Is anyone out there retaining both factory 02 sensors in addtion to the WB?

Now with the IAT sensor, I still have my factory one there...since the car is stock and all. Is it suggested to install the GM sensor and stuff it in the factory location till I go turbo in another week or so? Or shall I stick with the factory IAT?

Also, if it is at all possible... I would like to be able to go without OBDII codes. We have emissions testing every 2 years and if it is even remotely possible to run without CELs on... it would make me feel better about my wife driving the car. (It is a mental thing on her side.) If I leave the MAF installed and the factory 02 sensors in place, are there any other things that may give a CEL?

Anyhow, I am suffering from information overload. Really need the help because cold feet are starting to set in.

Oh, and does anyone feel like sharing their base map? I will be running 600CC Deatschwerks Injectors once the adaptronic is functioning well on the factory config. Then the turbo kit from my 99 will go onto the 2002.

Thanks everyone and cheers,
Matt

It will accept narrowband input. I wouldn't run without both factory 02 as it will likely pop a CEL. Factory O2's work together by testing the levels pre- and post-cat. You will get a CEL for cat efficiency if you leave one out. I'm running both factory O2 and the WB but I have three bungs in my downpipe/midpipe. That said, I'd want it in there now just to play with the tuning, but it isn't worth adding a third bung for a week. Otherwise, you can drop your post-cat O2 and put it there and just accept the CEL for a week. I wouldn't put it in the front spot-too hot.

You can stick with factory IAT for now. The only reason you can't use it on turbo applications is that you want it post-IC and there is no means to keep it in place under boost.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 104
Total Cats: 0
Default

You aint getting a CEL for missing o2 before the cat.
The adaptronic loom is cutting the signal to the adaptronic instead of the factory ecu. The thing you have to do to avoid a CEL for missing o2 is to keep the heater wires connected. That is the way the original ecu is checking the o2.

An other fact: I'm having a CEL for a missing IAC. idle control valve.
I still want to find a solution for this CEL, but missing time to find a solution.

btw: I'm running a stock B6 engine in an european NBB.
martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martijn View Post
An other fact: I'm having a CEL for a missing IAC. idle control valve.
I still want to find a solution for this CEL, but missing time to find a solution.

btw: I'm running a stock B6 engine in an european NBB.
Is it a P1504? I had that one also.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 104
Total Cats: 0
Default

Yes, its P1504 = Idle air control malfunction.

Why? did you find a solution yet?
I'll post my other (2) fault codes in a thread.

For now I don't know how to fake the idle valve.
martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martijn View Post
Yes, its P1504 = Idle air control malfunction.

Why? did you find a solution yet?
I'll post my other (2) fault codes in a thread.

For now I don't know how to fake the idle valve.
I haven't done anything about it as I don't have emissions testing so I ignored it. Here are the three codes that I had.

P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit High Input
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
P1504 Manf Control Veh Spd Idle Speed Control Auxiliary Input

Two cleared, but P0335 remains.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Hey guys, thanks for the help!

I will try the install tonight when I get home. I suppose that the adaptronic is taking the signals and not sharing; but I wonder if there is a simulator or a way to share the signals without too much decay?

Tho your input has settled it for me, I will have to do my smog test before I make the install final. This will buy me 2 years before the next OBDII reading at the emissions test station.

Wish me luck and cheers!
Prospero
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

prospero,

I'll be back in town more permanently in a few weeks if it doesn't go well. I'm curious to see how it goes for you
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Springfield, NJ
Posts: 670
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I wonder if there is a simulator
Here's one for the cat issue: https://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t29945/#post348921
evank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

Sorry to dig up a very old thread, but were you able to get a good tune on your mostly stock car, Prospero?
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

Ahh, I skipped the install before turbo and just did it all at once

Love it to death!

Cheers,
Prospero
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

Damn, was afraid of that.

I ordered my unit last night. I'm reading through pretty much every thread in this sub-forum. Trying to gather as much info that I need to get my 2001 up and running...and possibly snag someone's tuned map.
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere in NoVA
Posts: 550
Total Cats: -1
Default

I suspect you can run any of our boosted maps since you'll not be hitting boost thus the Adaptronic will never go to those cells...and so the rest should be about the same or at least damn close to it.

Let me know when u get ur stuff installed and I'll give you my latest map that actually idles!

Cheers,
Prospero
Prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,479
Total Cats: 6
Default

You know, I never actually thought of that... great idea.
Does the stock 01-05 map that is provided by Travis not start and idle or run well?

I just put the order through, so I imagine it will be about a month before I get the ecu.
dgmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping my '95 for track asmasm Build Threads 82 05-26-2016 05:37 PM
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
using 2002 ECU on 1990 Miata btabor ECUs and Tuning 12 09-14-2015 04:45 PM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.