Found an AEM FI/c controller piggybacked to my ecu - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pickens, SC
Posts: 125
Total Cats: -82
Default Found an AEM FI/c controller piggybacked to my ecu

Ok just got my turbo'd miata and found an aem unit that looks like the FI/c 6, what program do I need to download to get in and look at some diagnostics. I had a megasquirt standalone on another, I'm so glad I get to stay away from that mess.

Anything I need to look at when I get into it?

There is one spot in my tune, when I'm at a certain load maybe around 6 psi it pegs out 10 on the wideband for about a half a second, it stutters, then blows right through it and comes back up to 10.5-11 while in boost. Anyway I can tweak that out? Still in the dark using a maf, I was using speed density on the MS unit.

And does the unit have a way to measure knock?
Jdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pickens, SC
Posts: 125
Total Cats: -82
Default

Another question, while i'm decelerating it must completely cut fuel off or something to that extent. It slows down really really fast when I let off the brake almost like an engine brake. Anyway to set it where it wont do this?
Jdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,187
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

Quote:
I had a megasquirt standalone on another, I'm so glad I get to stay away from that mess.
Oh dear lord
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pickens, SC
Posts: 125
Total Cats: -82
Default

Don't get me wrong 18 psi, it's great ijust don't have the time, skill, or patience to even consider putting a standalone in. I got a bad taste for it.
Jdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

That's funny, because I am looking at it from the other way around. I don't have the time, skill, or patience to even consider band-aids. For $40 or whatever Tunerstudio will literally tune the car for you.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pickens, SC
Posts: 125
Total Cats: -82
Default

i know as far as tuning goes it was amazing, I just don't have the money to buy a full standalone. I still have tunerpro installed on my laptop. I loved it, it's just not happening on this car. If I had to the turbo install from scrap I would pay someone to wire mine in but since this has a work fic why should I mess with it. Plus I want to see what AEM has to offer as far as tuning is concerned.
Jdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Software:
F/IC SOFTWARE v2.01, NEW FEATURES ADDED, UEGO GAUGE DISPLAY

Your deceleration problem (car slowing down too fast) is not related to your ECU. Could be a lightweight flywheel, drivetrain problems.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilla View Post
i know as far as tuning goes it was amazing, I just don't have the money to buy a full standalone.
Sorry, it may have been another noob and not you, but my favorite hobby on here is taking ~30 seconds to go through the F/S section and find you 3-4 megasquirts for $250 or less.

You have the money. Believe me.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilla View Post
Ok just got my turbo'd miata and found an aem unit that looks like the FI/c 6, what program do I need to download to get in and look at some diagnostics. I had a megasquirt standalone on another, I'm so glad I get to stay away from that mess.

Anything I need to look at when I get into it?

There is one spot in my tune, when I'm at a certain load maybe around 6 psi it pegs out 10 on the wideband for about a half a second, it stutters, then blows right through it and comes back up to 10.5-11 while in boost. Anyway I can tweak that out? Still in the dark using a maf, I was using speed density on the MS unit.

And does the unit have a way to measure knock?
What do you have Megasquirt on?
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilla View Post
Another question, while i'm decelerating it must completely cut fuel off or something to that extent. It slows down really really fast when I let off the brake almost like an engine brake. Anyway to set it where it wont do this?
Welcome to electronic fuel injection, where shutting off injectors is pretty much exactly what happens during deceleration.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilla View Post
Don't get me wrong 18 psi, it's great ijust don't have the time, skill, or patience to even consider putting a standalone in. I got a bad taste for it.
No time, skill, or patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilla View Post
i know as far as tuning goes it was amazing, I just don't have the money to buy a full standalone. I still have tunerpro installed on my laptop. I loved it, it's just not happening on this car. If I had to the turbo install from scrap I would pay someone to wire mine in but since this has a work fic why should I mess with it. Plus I want to see what AEM has to offer as far as tuning is concerned.
Oh but it's awesome!


But you don't have the money.


So which is it? I've never seen anyone backpedal so fast. There was only ONE POST between these two!
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,085
Total Cats: 30
Default

Have you considered not letting off the gas if you don't want the car to slow down? Normally I wouldn't ask something like this, but your post history concerns me.

Hope this helps.
albumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
No time, skill, or patience.



Oh but it's awesome!


But you don't have the money.


So which is it? I've never seen anyone backpedal so fast. There was only ONE POST between these two!
Wow, thanks for coming out mister negative. Maybe next time you can also insult his mother and then make fun of his car because it makes less power than another car you saw on the internet. For crap sakes, his car came with a f/ic, it is one of the best piggy back ecu system on the market. No it's not as good as megasquirt, but yes it will add more fuel in boost and take out timing.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
Wow, thanks for coming out mister negative. Maybe next time you can also insult his mother and then make fun of his car because it makes less power than another car you saw on the internet. For crap sakes, his car came with a f/ic, it is one of the best piggy back ecu system on the market. No it's not as good as megasquirt, but yes it will add more fuel in boost and take out timing.
I don't think anyone here is REALLY bagging on the f/ic, and neither am i.

I'm just merely floored at how quickly he changed his tune as to why he didn't want to/can't run Megasquirt. That's all.

Looking at his setup, his recent posts about his awesome new turbo, and his general knowledge level, i'd say what he's using for engine management is probably the least of his worries.


I would never bag on the f/ic for a basic setup. For ****'s sake, i have a Hydra. Please kill me.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
I don't think anyone here is REALLY bagging on the f/ic, and neither am i.

I'm just merely floored at how quickly he changed his tune as to why he didn't want to/can't run Megasquirt. That's all.

Looking at his setup, his recent posts about his awesome new turbo, and his general knowledge level, i'd say what he's using for engine management is probably the least of his worries.


I would never bag on the f/ic for a basic setup. For ****'s sake, i have a Hydra. Please kill me.
I'll accept that. He is asking pretty dumb questions.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #16
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davidson, NC
Posts: 157
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
Sorry, it may have been another noob and not you, but my favorite hobby on here is taking ~30 seconds to go through the F/S section and find you 3-4 megasquirts for $250 or less.

You have the money. Believe me.
Will you find me one?

I have a 1990 and building my first turbo kit.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdilla View Post
Don't get me wrong 18 psi, it's great ijust don't have the time, skill, or patience to even consider putting a standalone in. I got a bad taste for it.
Well then you should sell your car and buy a camry.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.