AEM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges for EMS-4?

 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roselle, Illinois
Posts: 849
Total Cats: -34
Default Gauges for EMS-4?

ok so i bought a ems-4 due to i wanted to run flex fuel. I found out that the data stream gauges i bought wont work with the EMS-4!! I liked thed idea of the data stream gauges sharing the sending unit with the EMS, and everything would also be data logged. Being that i cant use that is there any other gauges i can use in conjunction with the ecu's sending units? is there anything that will stream the info from the EMS-4 other then a computer? I was thinking digital dash but is there a affordable version? Will megaviewer work with EMS-4?
Hot_Wheels is offline  
Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 AM
  #2  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,281
Total Cats: 1,997
Default

Who did you buy your EMS-4 from?
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roselle, Illinois
Posts: 849
Total Cats: -34
Default

A former mt.net member. doap parts Are there different versions?
Hot_Wheels is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 2
Default

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
ok so i bought a ems-4 due to i wanted to run flex fuel. I found out that the data stream gauges i bought wont work with the EMS-4!! I liked thed idea of the data stream gauges sharing the sending unit with the EMS, and everything would also be data logged. Being that i cant use that is there any other gauges i can use in conjunction with the ecu's sending units? is there anything that will stream the info from the EMS-4 other then a computer? I was thinking digital dash but is there a affordable version? Will megaviewer work with EMS-4?
EMS-4 does not and will not have flex fuel capability. You can run flex blends but the ecu will not be able to make corrections based on blend. If you want to run true flex fuel you will need a Series II or Infinity ECU. The EMS-4 will not work with serial gauges. You can run a digital dash. Some digital dashes say they work with AEM CAN streams but they will require you to buy expensive cables and some even have locked CAN templates. This will not allow you to change the channels in the stream. Your options are MoTeC CDL3, AIM MXL, and Racepack IQ3. That is the order of best to worse and it is also the pricing order as well. $$ > Headache or Headache > $$.

EB Turbo
EB Turbo is offline  
Old 07-28-2013, 02:30 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roselle, Illinois
Posts: 849
Total Cats: -34
Default

EB checking the AEM forum they keep talking about the new beta testing for the software to run flex fuel. The software is way over due i think it was suppose to be out in April? There was a rumor they may not release it due to they where pushing there new ECU. Who is your source? Il have to go back on the forum and read up. If this is true im going to be supper pissed because i went from the AEM pnp to the EMS-4 just so i can run flex fuel. I got $1500 in aem ecus! megasquirt ftw?
Hot_Wheels is offline  
Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roselle, Illinois
Posts: 849
Total Cats: -34
Default

checked AEM forums looks like flex fuel is about a week away! still need to find out what to do about gauges..
Hot_Wheels is offline  
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 2
Default

The Firmware between the Series II and the EMS-4 are different. I am a beta tester for AEM. AEM directly told me no flex fuel support for the EMS-4. This is not a 100% final decision but my source is really creditable. I have a miata that runs an EMS-4 that besides a Flex sensor and ECU capability is ready for Flex Fuel. I am pretty disappointing that there is no support. The only thing I can do is switch to a Series II EMS.

What type of gauges are you looking for? The only thing available is an aftermarket dash display that has CAN capability. They are easy options to install you just need to spend $1k-3k to get one.

EB Turbo
EB Turbo is offline  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM
  #8  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,281
Total Cats: 1,997
Default

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
A former mt.net member. doap parts Are there different versions?
Just wondering why you weren't contacting the vendor you bought the ECU from for support. Sorry he left you high and dry. There are plenty of shops that will sell you an EMS-4 with no support (as you've unfortunately discovered) but we're the only shop selling a Miata-specific PnP package with basemaps and continued support.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 51
Total Cats: 2
Default

Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Just wondering why you weren't contacting the vendor you bought the ECU from for support. Sorry he left you high and dry. There are plenty of shops that will sell you an EMS-4 with no support (as you've unfortunately discovered) but we're the only shop selling a Miata-specific PnP package with basemaps and continued support.
This is why AEM is trying to keep ecu sales to vendors who stand by the min retail prices and who actually support the product they sell. When vendors and eBay people sell under min retail and dont support their customers it only takes money out of the pockets of AEM and the real vendors who actually spend supporting their customers. I get more questions from people who never have bought anything from me than the customers who have.

EB Turbo
EB Turbo is offline  
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM
  #10  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 15,281
Total Cats: 1,997
Default

Originally Posted by EB Turbo View Post
This is why AEM is trying to keep ecu sales to vendors who stand by the min retail prices and who actually support the product they sell. When vendors and eBay people sell under min retail and dont support their customers it only takes money out of the pockets of AEM and the real vendors who actually spend supporting their customers.
Agreed. If you're buying an EMS-4, consider buying it from us. No shop in the country has more experience installing and tuning EMS-4 units on Miatas. If you've already got an EMS-4 from another vendor, I can still help you (we sell our PnP packages without the ECU), but I promise it's cheaper to buy the entire package from me in the first place.
__________________
Trackspeed Engineering
High-Performance Turbo Specialists - Sunnyvale, CA - 650-701-7223 - Email us!
Originally Posted by codrus View Post
Basically I've come over to the camp of "If something is a reliability problem on the track, just ask Andrew and do what he says".
Savington is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 04:12 PM
  #11  
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 7,138
Total Cats: 596
Default

So, resurrecting an old thread....

Andrew, if you were to design the ultimate gauge setup for the EMS-4, what would you do?

I'm trying to figure out an optimal gauge solution, but a combination of my noobishness and an unfamiliarity with my car make it so I'm not even sure where to start. My car has the Greddy profec EBC, and a spa gauge showing oil pressure and coolant temp on the steering column (which is annoying).

I need boost and AFR readouts.

So, should I re-mount the Greddy and use that for boost, and just get a UEGO?
OR is there another, better solution?

If you can point me towards your installation instructions for stuff like this, that'd be hugely helpful so i can understand what I'm looking at as I dig around under this thing.
turbofan is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
StratoBlue1109
Miata parts for sale/trade
21
09-30-2018 01:09 PM
slomiata
MEGAsquirt
5
10-07-2015 01:11 PM
JesseTheNoob
DIY Turbo Discussion
15
09-30-2015 02:44 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauges for EMS-4?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.