$600 craigslist turbo kit? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 1,376
Total Cats: 80
Default

Only thing I would consder is the intercooler and piping kit IF it comes with 3ply silicone couplers and T bolt style clamps. That might go for $200 ish on ebay so if you can get it for closer to $100 I'd go for it.

If the greddy is real that'e a good BOV but chances are its a china rep.
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #22
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyotani View Post
Only thing I would consder is the intercooler and piping kit IF it comes with 3ply silicone couplers and T bolt style clamps. That might go for $200 ish on ebay so if you can get it for closer to $100 I'd go for it.

If the greddy is real that'e a good BOV but chances are its a china rep.
He says the intercooler, piping and boost controller are new and it does come with couplers and clamps. I'll see if he will part out his kit, but I'm assuming he wants to sell the whole thing.
jawstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #23
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,198
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

I just noticed your user name.

Are you the result of what was supposed to be a jawstain?

now I get it.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #24
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I just noticed your user name.

Are you the result of what was supposed to be a jawstain?

now I get it.
Aren't we all the result of a failed jawstain?
jawstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #25
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,198
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawstain View Post
Aren't we all the result of a failed jawstain?
Believe it or not, some of us are intentional.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #26
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
Believe it or not, some of us are intentional.
Well, believe it or not man you hit the nail on the head. I was an accident lol. But my parents love me.

Back on topic, this guy won't part out his kit so I'm just gonna listen to your guys advice and walk away. I'll just save some more money up and just do it right. Thanks for the replies fellas.
jawstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #27
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,198
Total Cats: 2,584
Default




Ok, I'll give you some actual advice:

stay away from classified ads until you know what you want, why you want it, and what it does.

You're really not in any position to be shopping for parts yet. Like, at all.

Unless you are dead set on making really stupid mistakes and wasting a ton of money and time.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post



Ok, I'll give you some actual advice:

stay away from classified ads until you know what you want, why you want it, and what it does.

You're really not in any position to be shopping for parts yet. Like, at all.

Unless you are dead set on making really stupid mistakes and wasting a ton of money and time.
True, true. I've seen a turbo install go down on a miata, so I have a bare minimal idea of what goes on, but as you can tell, I'm not an expert lol. I'm still a but I'm willing to learn. So thanks for the advice man, cheers.
jawstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #29
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,684
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

There are certain threads around here called "stickys." Read all of them. Then find one called DIY FAQ and read that. Then read two or three dozen "build threads" (yes, that many) to see what works and what doesn't for these cars. Then emulate a build thread that worked, or make a hybrid of a couple that worked out well.

But first, go to the "meet and greet" section and make an intro thread before somebody bans you for not following protocol.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyotani View Post
Only thing I would consder is the intercooler and piping kit IF it comes with 3ply silicone couplers and T bolt style clamps. That might go for $200 ish on ebay so if you can get it for closer to $100 I'd go for it.

If the greddy is real that'e a good BOV but chances are its a china rep.

The BOV that looks like a Greddy but has really terrible HKS logo cast into it? Probably China.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #31
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
There are certain threads around here called "stickys." Read all of them. Then find one called DIY FAQ and read that. Then read two or three dozen "build threads" (yes, that many) to see what works and what doesn't for these cars. Then emulate a build thread that worked, or make a hybrid of a couple that worked out well.

But first, go to the "meet and greet" section and make an intro thread before somebody bans you for not following protocol.
Thanks, will do!
jawstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,689
Total Cats: 560
Default

Man, you guys are being so nice today. I expected carnage, and I find reasonable advice instead.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #33
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hull, IA
Posts: 25
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyotani View Post
He actually has 2 manifolds shown. The ebay Taco and the s4 looking one. the s4 one is external wastegate so you would need that along with down pipe. If the turbo has an internal gate you can run the taco taco and buy and ebay DP.

As for is it worth it. I'd say do it once and do it right the first time. I'd see if you can buy some pieces off it such as the intercooler piping kit, intcooler, oil feed/return and other nick nacks then either troll sell threads for a used BEGI/FM kit or get the FM ala cart parts.
That's not a tacotaco. That appears to be the MUCH MUCH WORSE OBX-type thin walled steel. Taco manifolds are cast and don't look much like that.
goingtoscotland is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
6ULs for Sale in Green Bay JStoops Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-28-2015 06:35 PM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM


Tags
craigslist, turbo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.