Best luck ever... - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default Best luck ever...

so, i was taking the turbo off, to replace the gasket due to a leak... 2 of the damn turbo to manifold bolts snapped....
sooo i searched around on here, using the noob box on top, with no luck.

What grade bolts should i be using in this high-heat application????
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Why are you using gaskets around the turbo?
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

it had a gasket already... this is that damn already turbo'd miata that i bought. has a turbo to manifold gasket, and a turbo to downpipe gasket.
probably because of the cheap *** manifold...
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

looks like a cheap thin steel gasket. i was just going to make one to replace it. but, maybe the bolts to the flange were just loose.. regardless, 2 snapped trying to remove it to find the leak
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

You're just full of stupid ideas today.

Don't for the love of everything turbo, "make" a gasket. That's a guarranteed way to failure
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
You're just full of stupid ideas today.

Don't for the love of everything turbo, "make" a gasket. That's a guarranteed way to failure
Damn car frustrates me... too much **** to figure out and fix, since i didnt do any of the original modding...
making me lose common sense...

shouldnt have bought it... but i couldnt pass up a RUNNING miata for $800... the wheels and tires alone were worth more. lol
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,009
Total Cats: 583
Default

Proper material for that application is Inconel or similar high-heat material. Preferred size is M10.

Call Trackspeed. Do it once, do it right.

My Greddy has stainless gaskets at the manifold to turbo and turbo to downpipe. I use them, and they work fine.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
Proper material for that application is Inconel or similar high-heat material. Preferred size is M10.

Call Trackspeed. Do it once, do it right.

My Greddy has stainless gaskets at the manifold to turbo and turbo to downpipe. I use them, and they work fine.
cool, thats what i was thingking... i didnt think it was TOO odd that i had gaskets... i just saw that i had them, and one may have needed to be replaced. didnt question why they were there. lol

and, awesome! will trackspeed have all the bolts i need for around the turbo?
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

They will have all the bolts you need.

but please tell me you're not putting awesome inconel studs onto an ebay manifold
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
They will have all the bolts you need.

but please tell me you're not putting awesome inconel studs onto an ebay manifold
heck-no techno...

im not the original builder of this car, but i dont THINK this is an ebay manifold, just based on the pics ive seen of the manifolds. its not stainless or cast... just some thick *** steel tubes welded together.... kinda looks homemade. no cracks or anything, so thats good.

BUT, even with that being said, i am currently piecing together a homemade one. my roomate is a badass welder... but i still need bolts. haha
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

sounds good
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

There's lots of threads about turbo studs. tl;dr trackspeed for m10, IIRC there are some OEM 300zx m8 inconel for cheap too.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Damn.... $155 for those beasts...
will definitely be worth it though... looks like ill be driving the mini for the next week til i get paid. lol
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercooper View Post
Damn.... $155 for those beasts...
will definitely be worth it though... looks like ill be driving the mini for the next week til i get paid. lol
You're also going to need a drill and tap because your manifold and turbo are almost certainly setup for 8mm studs. You could also get 8mm inconel studs for like 5 bucks a pop, the OEM 300ZX TT turbo to manifold studs work. And if you just had normal nuts that didnt back off you should be more than fine with copper lock nuts.

And I just found this, if you want 10mm inconel studs for cheap, OEM RX7 TT turbo to manifold studs are 10mm and inconel, I'm assuming the length should be correct. And if you buy those you can buy the oem 10mm copper lock nuts that go with it.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
You're also going to need a drill and tap because your manifold and turbo are almost certainly setup for 8mm studs. You could also get 8mm inconel studs for like 5 bucks a pop, the OEM 300ZX TT turbo to manifold studs work. And if you just had normal nuts that didnt back off you should be more than fine with copper lock nuts.

And I just found this, if you want 10mm inconel studs for cheap, OEM RX7 TT turbo to manifold studs are 10mm and inconel, I'm assuming the length should be correct. And if you buy those you can buy the oem 10mm copper lock nuts that go with it.
badass... ill definitely look into that. ill try for those RX7 studs. where did you find them???
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

No idea. I'm running the 8mm 300zx ones. I'm assuming you can buy OEM rx7 10mm studs from the dealer or someone on an rx7 forum would know. I know you can get the nuts from clipsandfasteners.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
No idea. I'm running the 8mm 300zx ones. I'm assuming you can buy OEM rx7 10mm studs from the dealer or someone on an rx7 forum would know. I know you can get the nuts from clipsandfasteners.
cool, thanks! ill stop by the mazda dealer... if no luck, ill head over to nissan and get the 300ZX studs
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Yo, slow down and think. They're two different things here. The 8mm studs will go right in and will likely be sufficient for anything you can throw at it. The 10mm studs are going to require drilling and tapping your manifold and drilling your turbo, but will be stronger. At some point, I'm guessing towards the transition between 8mm being good enough and needing 10mm you'll NEED stage 8 fasteners rather than copper lock nuts. I posted the place on line that I got my 300zx studs from in the epic studs loosening thread, at a price that is supposedly like 1/3 of the dealer.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
And I just found this, if you want 10mm inconel studs for cheap, OEM RX7 TT turbo to manifold studs are 10mm and inconel, I'm assuming the length should be correct. And if you buy those you can buy the oem 10mm copper lock nuts that go with it.
Where did you find this info from? I am going to talk to an RX-7 friend and see if he knows anything about it. I also might call up Rosenthal Mazda and talk to them.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,119
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Yo, slow down and think. They're two different things here. The 8mm studs will go right in and will likely be sufficient for anything you can throw at it. The 10mm studs are going to require drilling and tapping your manifold and drilling your turbo, but will be stronger. At some point, I'm guessing towards the transition between 8mm being good enough and needing 10mm you'll NEED stage 8 fasteners rather than copper lock nuts. I posted the place on line that I got my 300zx studs from in the epic studs loosening thread, at a price that is supposedly like 1/3 of the dealer.
yeah, im willing to drill and tap if necessary for the 10's, especially since im building a manifold right now. i guess it just depends on price for me... because i dont NEED 10's... 8's would be plenty good enough. but, it wouldnt hurt to go 10, and ill be ready for when i want big boy power. lol
if the 10's are comparable in price, ill do some drilling. if not, i would be happy with the 8's
supercooper is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
97 1.8 turbo manifold and turbo combo. need help AnotherDamnMiata DIY Turbo Discussion 26 11-20-2015 12:34 AM
super low miles 97 mazdaspeedmiata Meet and Greet 5 09-11-2015 12:56 PM
I have bad luck miataspeed1point6 Insert BS here 7 05-11-2008 08:14 PM
Another installment of Jewish Luck Saml01 Insert BS here 8 04-19-2008 07:08 PM
Example of Jewish luck in this thread. Saml01 Insert BS here 20 04-16-2008 06:19 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 PM.