Boosted - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 446
Total Cats: 1
Talking Boosted

Well drove it home tonight, and all I can say is wow the car is fast now. So now some questions.

When cruising down the freeway it is in vacuum at about 10hgs and the wideband is reading 14.8-15.1 (at 75 MPH). Is this a safe operating range?

I know I need to adjust the wastegate it is popping at 6.5-7 pounds, and the wideband is reading 10.0 (way rich). But I will adjust the FMU after I get the wastegate set to 8-9 psi.

I also now have vibration under my seat. Personally I am thinking it is the open header resonating against the bottom of the car. It goes in Monday for cat, and magnaflow race muffler.

But no pinging, no blow by in the catch can, never over heated once, and for a 20 mile trip it did quite well

Thanks MT for all the support in this build
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Awesome! I'll have mine out soon, we should hit up some of the better roads one weekend.

Cruise AFR sounds good actually.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Junior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 291
Total Cats: 0
Default

Congratulations!

Your vibration sounds like a problem I had with my BEGi downipe. Mine was put together slightly off kilter and it rattled against the tunnel (heated it up pretty good too.) Eventually I'll reweld it to adjust but in the meantime I wrapped the spot in question with 4-5 layers of header wrap. No more noise.

Hope this helps.
bryanlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 446
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlow View Post
Congratulations!

Your vibration sounds like a problem I had with my BEGi downipe. Mine was put together slightly off kilter and it rattled against the tunnel (heated it up pretty good too.) Eventually I'll reweld it to adjust but in the meantime I wrapped the spot in question with 4-5 layers of header wrap. No more noise.

Hope this helps.
Hmmm I will double check, I made my own BEGi SGDP it looks just like theres but mine was welded in the car. So no clearance issues, and the o2 sensors were all in places that didn't hit or interfear. But I will look under there to make sure nothing is hitting.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,353
Total Cats: 1,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
Well drove it home tonight, and all I can say is wow the car is fast now. So now some questions.

When cruising down the freeway it is in vacuum at about 10hgs and the wideband is reading 14.8-15.1 (at 75 MPH). Is this a safe operating range?
That's pretty much perfect. Just a tad bit leaner than stoich is exactly where you want to cruise. I bring it down to 13.0 by 100kpa and 12.0 by 3-4psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
I know I need to adjust the wastegate it is popping at 6.5-7 pounds, and the wideband is reading 10.0 (way rich). But I will adjust the FMU after I get the wastegate set to 8-9 psi.

I also now have vibration under my seat. Personally I am thinking it is the open header resonating against the bottom of the car. It goes in Monday for cat, and magnaflow race muffler.

But no pinging, no blow by in the catch can, never over heated once, and for a 20 mile trip it did quite well

Thanks MT for all the support in this build
No, thank you. You ran your own marathon; we just supplied the water.

Build yourself a set of detonation cans to listen for real knock; the stuff that can kill engines over time will never be heard by a human ear.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Congrats! I bet its nice having it boosted. I want this feeling
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Congrats on getting it done. Well, not done...done. They are never truly done.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 446
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Build yourself a set of detonation cans to listen for real knock; the stuff that can kill engines over time will never be heard by a human ear.
at work we have what is called a multi channel elctronic ear. It is basically an 8 channel microphone set up where you put little mics in the engine compartment. They are great for detecting rod knock, injector clatter, lifter clatter, and knock. I shall see if the shop will let me borrow it for a weekend
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,862
Total Cats: 484
Default

trust your ears, not a computer on this one.
det cans are cheaper anyways.
ThePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

What injectors and fuel pump are you running?
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Junior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 291
Total Cats: 0
Default

Make your own electronic det can!

$7.97 at radio shack. Sucks *** as a personal audio amplifier but works great as a det can.
Take the mic out and extend the leads with shielded cable. Glue the mic to a washer and bolt it to the motor.
All the advantages of a det can without the garden hose running to the engine bay.
bryanlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:48 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Anyone ever tried that?
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 446
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
What injectors and fuel pump are you running?
190 HP Walbro fuel pump with 1994 1.8 brown top injectors.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Incline Village, NV
Posts: 2,073
Total Cats: 5
Default

congrats, any pics? Everyone loves pictures! Now to keep those dp nuts on..
thesnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA6C-Guy View Post
Anyone ever tried that?
Do you mean the det can? Not exactly like that, but I have an electronic det can setup using the stock knock sensor and a radio shack amplifier. Works great. I have a thread about it.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckslvr View Post
at work we have what is called a multi channel elctronic ear. It is basically an 8 channel microphone set up where you put little mics in the engine compartment. They are great for detecting rod knock, injector clatter, lifter clatter, and knock. I shall see if the shop will let me borrow it for a weekend
If nothing else, I'll need to make sure I'm not detonating on 91 when my car gets out here, so I'm going to try the radioshack route. We can use it to help tune yours if your work won't let you borrow the big ear.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #17
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

suddenly my det cans get all the love.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #18
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 446
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowboarder View Post
congrats, any pics? Everyone loves pictures! Now to keep those dp nuts on..
yeah there are some pics in the Media / Build Thread section. I will have the final photos up tomorrow. I changed some stuff around. Nothing much, just replaced the WG source line with 1/4 steel brake tubing. And mounted in the catch can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile View Post
If nothing else, I'll need to make sure I'm not detonating on 91 when my car gets out here, so I'm going to try the radioshack route. We can use it to help tune yours if your work won't let you borrow the big ear.
My company treats there emploees great. On my previous Miata I installed some white gauge faces. They let me take there gauge calibration box I had my gauges more accurate than OE. Pretty much all the employees have access to all the tools in the shop with in reason. They would even rent out stalls during the slow season. Some times working for a dealership has its advantages.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Congrats man!

I hope to join the club soon, but as I near the end of this build I realize the victory won't be in the finish, but in the start of the "boosted" road.

I'm definitely doing det cans, and like the idea of a cheap electronic fix over garden hose.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.