DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this chinacharger worth using?

 
Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 49
Total Cats: 0
Default Is this chinacharger worth using?

hey guys, got a quick questions for you...

I originally got a dsm t25 turbo to use, but my baller new downpipe and manifold won't bolt up, wrong flanges. So, I'm ditching my $50.00 craigslist turbo, and going with a chinacharger instead. I'm looking for something with a bit more headroom than a dsm or sr20 t25, so what do you guys think about this...

GT25 Turbo Turbocharger T25 240SX CA18 KA24 Civic Miata : eBay Motors (item 190367303971 end time Feb-20-10 17:03:08 PST)

I know its a chinacharger, so don't give me any crap about it not lasting, etc. I know. I'm willing to take that risk.

What i'm concerned about is sizing. Is this thing going to have decent spool on a 1.6, along with decent top end? Not looking to have the best of all worlds, just decent. I also like the fact that inlet and outlet is cast into the compressor housing, so no expensive adapters for intake/intercooler piping. Also, is it going to be difficult to run less than wg boost pressures while initially tuning?

Thanks
labrat is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM
  #2  
!!! NOT CONFIRMED !!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 158
Total Cats: 1
Default

I was looking at the same one, if you buy it keep us updated.
elderc is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 PM
  #3  
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,959
Total Cats: 11
Default

search chinacharger and levnubin has had good things to say about his. I'm getting ready to purchase the same one. specs to a 2871
miatauser884 is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
  #4  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,932
Total Cats: 318
Default

Originally Posted by djp0623 View Post
search chinacharger and levnubin has had good things to say about his. I'm getting ready to purchase the same one. specs to a 2871
godspeed 2871?
Full_Tilt_Boogie is online now  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
  #5  
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,678
Total Cats: 11
Default

I dont see the problem it seem similar to a 2560, it should be fine in the 1.6. About reliability, there are plenty of member that have and are still using Chinacharger with nothing but good feedback. Braineack has a write up up on his chinacharger, I was looking to buy the same one that he did, you might want to take a look at his thread.
buffon01 is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
  #6  
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
levnubhin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,319
Total Cats: 8
Default

They're hit or miss like anything on ebay. I've had 2, the first one lested 2 weeks before the bearings went out, my 2nd has been on for about 10 months running 15-25 psi with no issues.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 PM
  #7  
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,318
Total Cats: 12
Default

I think the main problem you're going to run into is that your manifold won't match up with this turbo. DSM turbo's use a different manifold flange then a SR20 T25 charger.
dustinb is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 PM
  #8  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,932
Total Cats: 318
Default

Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
I think the main problem you're going to run into is that your manifold won't match up with this turbo. DSM turbo's use a different manifold flange then a SR20 T25 charger.
his manifold and downpipe are for a gt25 not a mitsu t25...
Full_Tilt_Boogie is online now  
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 129
Total Cats: 0
Default

Prob work pretty good, spool pretty fast though.

This is the one I bought a few weeks ago and it seems to be doing the job pretty well. Running a solid 15lbs on the stock motor.

GT28 T28 TURBO CHARGER 180SX S13 CA18DET TURBOCHARGER : eBay Motors (item 400094656527 end time Jan-06-10 04:15:23 PST)
crnrhrd is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 49
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by crnrhrd View Post
Prob work pretty good, spool pretty fast though.

This is the one I bought a few weeks ago and it seems to be doing the job pretty well. Running a solid 15lbs on the stock motor.

GT28 T28 TURBO CHARGER 180SX S13 CA18DET TURBOCHARGER : eBay Motors (item 400094656527 end time Jan-06-10 04:15:23 PST)
I like the looks of that one, oil cooled only so simpler plumbing. Definitely big enough, I was just worried that it wouldn't spool till 4.5K rpms...

You still have plenty of low-end?

thanks
labrat is offline  
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 PM
  #11  
I EAT CUM
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Redneck, Texas
Posts: 1,199
Total Cats: 0
Default

Get a bigger one, ditch that little t25. I have the "tb28" on mine and its worked perfect. I've had it on the car for about a year and no issues yet. If they break, spend another 150 and get another. It will take 5-6 of them to reach the price of another turbo. If you end up getting that far, then you just have some **** luck!
Turbo_4 is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 02:42 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 129
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by labrat View Post
I like the looks of that one, oil cooled only so simpler plumbing. Definitely big enough, I was just worried that it wouldn't spool till 4.5K rpms...

You still have plenty of low-end?

thanks
Yeah still got pretty good low end, starts spooling around 3k but you really feel it at 4k.

As for oil cooled only makes life a little easier not having to deal with a couple more coolant lines. And if you decide on a chinacharger of some sorts they use weird *** thread sizes, so for my oil inlet I had to source the fitting at a hyrdraulics parts store, but I think Bell engineering also has the parts. For quick and cheap though when you get the turbo just hit up the hydraulics store and take the turbo with you so you get the right fitting, cost me less than a buck for the part.
crnrhrd is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 294
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by crnrhrd View Post
Yeah still got pretty good low end, starts spooling around 3k but you really feel it at 4k.

As for oil cooled only makes life a little easier not having to deal with a couple more coolant lines. And if you decide on a chinacharger of some sorts they use weird *** thread sizes, so for my oil inlet I had to source the fitting at a hyrdraulics parts store, but I think Bell engineering also has the parts. For quick and cheap though when you get the turbo just hit up the hydraulics store and take the turbo with you so you get the right fitting, cost me less than a buck for the part.
Can you post up a pic of your turbo install with the FM manifold? It would also be great if you could post a 4th gear boost log in Brain's thread ("I want your spool data") in this subforum. I want to swap out my boost limited Aerodyne for a T28 Chinacharger, just trying to get a feel for how much low end I'm going to trade off (I get 8psi at 2,200 and hold it to redline) when I step up to the 1 Bar Club.
sn95 is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 03:31 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastside Muff~Palmdale,CA
Posts: 92
Total Cats: 0
Default

I say go for it.
although,I have no experience with the T25/28 but among others,I ran my last T3 Chinacharger for 18 monthes without issue on 12psi & daily driving untill i sold it.
Eadohcturbo is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM
  #15  
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,959
Total Cats: 11
Default

speedyracer.com out of Indianapolis. I'm getting the Drift 2860 , It is actually closer to a 2871. They offer a 1yr warranty. this is the one levnubin uses.
miatauser884 is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 160
Total Cats: 0
Default

Boost that 1.6

I prefer a turbo with an external wastegate, by the way you did not mention what are your final goals...
psiturbo is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 129
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by sn95 View Post
Can you post up a pic of your turbo install with the FM manifold? It would also be great if you could post a 4th gear boost log in Brain's thread ("I want your spool data") in this subforum. I want to swap out my boost limited Aerodyne for a T28 Chinacharger, just trying to get a feel for how much low end I'm going to trade off (I get 8psi at 2,200 and hold it to redline) when I step up to the 1 Bar Club.
Ok here are a couple pics, now keep in mind with this turbo I could not keep the turbo clocked upwards for use with my old FM intercooler piping so I figured what the hell I clocked it down bought a new Cxracing intercooler 18x12x3 and the new fm intercooler piping from the compressor to the intercooler was able to still use the older piping for the cold side. Eventually going to upgrade that side as well. Just made it easier than trying to make a new pipe because well I didn't have the tools/skill nor the time to fabricate a new pipe.

Will try and get spool data for you later, as my buddy is the one that does it all and all the info is on his laptop.



crnrhrd is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
  #18  
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,362
Total Cats: 44
Default

From Crnrhrd's car last night;

Ambient temp was about 27 degrees
Chart shows second gear pull on a flat grade, turbo is on wastegate boost.



Personally I like the turbo clocked down with the new pipe along with no water lines, its a much cleaner looking install. Water cooled jacket would be a nice thing for the Chinachargers to use but for $300.00 what do ya expect?
elesjuan is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 49
Total Cats: 0
Default

As for my goals, right now my goal is to not fry the clutch.

My next goal is to not bend a rod.

Did I mention that at least initially i will be blowing through the straw that is a stock exhaust?
labrat is offline  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 PM
  #20  
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,362
Total Cats: 44
Default

So you think we're playing with fire?
elesjuan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this chinacharger worth using?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.