Coolant re-route spacer - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default Coolant re-route spacer

Spent several hours this morning looking for a source for the spacer needed for doing a coolant re-route. Looked at moss/jackson racing, flyin miata, and read several posts/ threads but didn't see a source for the spacer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for a pointing me in the right direction.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

chacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 142
Total Cats: 2
Default

To find the Moss one you have to use the part number: 051-046. Plug that into their search by number slot and it should come up. If you buy it know that you will have to get some machining done (thermostat recess and taps for heater bung and temp sensor) as it is just a shaped block of aluminum.
chiefmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 346
Total Cats: -223
Default

Is a spacer like this required for the reroute? or just a bonus for ease of installation?
Boost Joose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

If I could do it all over again, I'd pull the head, put a port in the back of the head for the heater feet, put the thermostat cap on the back of the head with no spacer, and use the rear water plug for the factory water temp sensor. Make sure the water neck will clear this sensor, and return the water post thermostat.

I might even think about using the spacer, putting the thermostat between the spacer and the head (so only post-t-stat water enters the heater circuit), restrict flow on the heater feed, return heater water post t-stat. I'm not sure if water will flow through the thermostat this way.

The best: Kill the heater, profit.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Junior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 334
Total Cats: 0
Default

User "Reverend Greg" made me one ready to go, not sure if he's still making them, contact him and see.
chokeasphyxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Joose View Post
Is a spacer like this required for the reroute? or just a bonus for ease of installation?
It gives you a place to put sensors and possibly the heater-core feed. It also makes life a bitch when it comes to working on the back of the engine, a real pain in the ***. I rue the day I have to change a t-stat back there.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

You should probably change it before your next trackday
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arl. Texas
Posts: 937
Total Cats: 23
Default

What kind work are you doing back there that isn't the water neck?

Also if you search for that part number it wont give you the option top buy one. I emailed the sales department and had a back and forth about what I wanted and what I was using it for. There was about 4-5 emails real quick and then a three day silence. I didn't think they wanted to sell me one because it comes in a "kit". Then I got another one asking me to call in the order. So just save yourself the time and call them with the number.
Miater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacer View Post
Thanks, found that one this morning after my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
To find the Moss one you have to use the part number: 051-046. Plug that into their search by number slot and it should come up. If you buy it know that you will have to get some machining done (thermostat recess and taps for heater bung and temp sensor) as it is just a shaped block of aluminum.
Went to the Moss web site entered the part number and returned no item, that is what led me to post up the request for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
If I could do it all over again, I'd pull the head, put a port in the back of the head for the heater feet, put the thermostat cap on the back of the head with no spacer, and use the rear water plug for the factory water temp sensor. Make sure the water neck will clear this sensor, and return the water post thermostat.

I might even think about using the spacer, putting the thermostat between the spacer and the head (so only post-t-stat water enters the heater circuit), restrict flow on the heater feed, return heater water post t-stat. I'm not sure if water will flow through the thermostat this way.

The best: Kill the heater, profit.
I should have put this in my op, this is for my fp miata, no windshield, no heater. Hustler, the way I am reading this, I don't need the spacer for the reroute. I thought it added clearance for the coolant hose. I have a inline piece that I am going to use for coolant temp, and I believe that the other coolant sensor for my standalone is located in a different place on the engine, I will need to look at that today. If it is in the back plate I can always pick up a second in line piece. $30 compared to $90 money I can put elsewhere.

I know the back of the head is recessed to accept a t-stat.

Last edited by hingstonwm; 01-26-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 142
Total Cats: 2
Default

I haven't been on Moss's site for several months, I see now they have changed things around. Sorry about that, it did work the last time I recommended it to someone (back in November). Wonder why they did that?
chiefmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingstonwm View Post
I should have put this in my op, this is for my fp miata, no windshield, no heater. Hustler, the way I am reading this, I don't need the spacer for the reroute. I thought it added clearance for the coolant hose. I have a inline piece that I am going to use for coolant temp, and I believe that the other coolant sensor for my standalone is located in a different place on the engine, I will need to look at that today. If it is in the back plate I can always pick up a second in line piece. $30 compared to $90 money I can put elsewhere.

I know the back of the head is recessed to accept a t-stat.
The spacer does not add clearance for the coolant hose in any fashion, it is to add pre-thermostat connections for the heater, temp sensor, etc..
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: misery
Posts: 1,130
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I rue the day I have to change a t-stat back there.
fack! i hadn't even thought of that.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaen99 View Post
The spacer does not add clearance for the coolant hose in any fashion, it is to add pre-thermostat connections for the heater, temp sensor, etc..
Okay, then it looks as if I do not need a spacer. I have another question about cooling but I will start a new thred for it. It has to do with the mixing manifold and a swirl pot/catch tank.
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
IHI
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 200
Total Cats: 1
Default

I made my own.
Check my build.
IHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 909
Total Cats: 14
Default

Turns out I don't need the spacer for my application. I will just run the kia neck
hingstonwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,109
Total Cats: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I rue the day I have to change a t-stat back there.
Sadly, I'm hoping something will require me to pull the head or entire engine before I reach the end of the thermostat's service life.

I installed mine, did a track day, then pulled the engine for other reasons. I redid the reroute install to be sure there weren't any leaks. The bolts were surprisingly loose.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 112
Total Cats: 0
Default

There is a place over here in Aus who makes a nice spacer http://www.mx5plus.com.au/part_displ...part=132&cat=1

There is two different ones, one for NA6 which has the M16? thread for the thermofan switch in one side and the one for all 1.8s which has the thermofan switch position replaced by a smaller possibly M12? thread for an aftermarket sensor or a plug to be fitted in that position. They still retain the heater outlet for in the factory location for OE hoses to be fitted and OE heater circuit.

Cheers,

Tim
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM
Is my swirl pot design okay? FrankB Race Prep 10 10-02-2015 10:00 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Coolant port on intake side of head Sirnixalot Engine Performance 3 09-20-2015 10:45 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 AM.