DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COP problem with the cold

 
Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 PM
  #1  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 11
Default COP problem with the cold

So whenever its below freezing, and my car has sat for more than 6 hrs, it has a very hard time getting spark. If I crank for a solid 10 min, I can get it to run on what sounds like 2 cylinders. after running for a little, and the car gets warm, it runs fine. I know the COPS are the problems, because if I take a hairdryer to them, the car will start up perfect. Has anyone had this problem? Am I just that unlucky and got messed up COPS? Mind you, I bought two more, and it didn't help. They are Toyota units.

I hate cold...
cardriverx is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
  #2  
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

I used to have an sr20 that did the same **** until it got warmed up, I never found out what the issue was. I sold the car. I know its unrelated but do you know if there is any reason I can't run cops on my stock ecu on a 2000 1.8? I have searched but can not find anything definitive. thanks
kooltacos is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

You may want to dubble check your connections and solder points. Make shure they are protected from the elements. You can also use dielectric grease on the conector and solder joints. That will keep the moisture out then you can see if it is stil happening.

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
  #4  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 11
Default

Originally Posted by Jfornachon View Post
You may want to dubble check your connections and solder points. Make shure they are protected from the elements. You can also use dielectric grease on the conector and solder joints. That will keep the moisture out then you can see if it is stil happening.

Have a great day,
Jared
good idea with the grease, ill have to try that.
cardriverx is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chatsworth, SoCal
Posts: 948
Total Cats: 1
Default

I am thinking that moisture may be causing the problem.

Have a great day,
Jared
Jfornachon is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
  #6  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 11
Default

I hope your right.
cardriverx is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
  #7  
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,101
Total Cats: 368
Default

hmmmm, maybe I should get a girlfriend and borrow her hair dryer.
hustler is offline  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,361
Total Cats: 17
Default

Originally Posted by cardriverx View Post
Has anyone had this problem?
No, just you. Nobody else has that problem.

No concrete solutions yet that I'm aware of, but that thread mentions a few things you can try. You got the 10,000 uF cap in the COPs harness? Changed the ignition pullup resistors in MS from 1K to 270-330 ohms? Which part number COPs?

Originally Posted by kooltacos View Post
I know its unrelated but do you know if there is any reason I can't run cops on my stock ecu on a 2000 1.8?
Noob, it will work but you are going to need a dwell reducer circuit to keep from damaging the COPs. You can buy that from Boundary Engineering or build one yourself.
ScottFW is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
  #9  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 11
Default

Di electric grease didn't seem to help.
cardriverx is offline  
Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
  #10  
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Meriden, CT
Posts: 2,067
Total Cats: 1
Default

Originally Posted by cardriverx View Post
So whenever its below freezing, and my car has sat for more than 6 hrs, it has a very hard time getting spark. If I crank for a solid 10 min, I can get it to run on what sounds like 2 cylinders. after running for a little, and the car gets warm, it runs fine. I know the COPS are the problems, because if I take a hairdryer to them, the car will start up perfect. Has anyone had this problem? Am I just that unlucky and got messed up COPS? Mind you, I bought two more, and it didn't help. They are Toyota units.

I hate cold...
I have the exact same problem. Last night after letting the car warm up with the stock coil and wires, I swapped in the cops and it fired right up and ran no problem. Today (Bout 45*) I went to go start and it would almost catch then stumble. I gave it two tries then took a heat gun to the cops for maybe a minute.....fired right up. Could this possibly be resolved by changing the cranking dwell? Right now I think mine is set to 5.5ms cranking - 2.5ms running and I believe .5 for the minimum discharge period. I'm thinking that if I bump up the cranking dwell it may help by giving the coils more time to charge.....that or slightly increase the minimum discharge period so the coils are firing a little longer. IDK, I'm a noob to this **** go easy on me
Cspence is offline  
Old 03-27-2010, 03:44 AM
  #11  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,573
Total Cats: 11
Default

I have tried changing the dwell... I think it must be an issue with MS driving the COPs or how we wire it or something judging by how many people have the problem.


Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
I have the exact same problem. Last night after letting the car warm up with the stock coil and wires, I swapped in the cops and it fired right up and ran no problem. Today (Bout 45*) I went to go start and it would almost catch then stumble. I gave it two tries then took a heat gun to the cops for maybe a minute.....fired right up. Could this possibly be resolved by changing the cranking dwell? Right now I think mine is set to 5.5ms cranking - 2.5ms running and I believe .5 for the minimum discharge period. I'm thinking that if I bump up the cranking dwell it may help by giving the coils more time to charge.....that or slightly increase the minimum discharge period so the coils are firing a little longer. IDK, I'm a noob to this **** go easy on me
cardriverx is offline  
Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 PM
  #12  
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Meriden, CT
Posts: 2,067
Total Cats: 1
Default

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try....I really am clueless on this.
Cspence is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Big_gumby
Meet and Greet
80
10-05-2015 04:06 PM
tazswing
Race Prep
20
10-03-2015 11:04 AM
mx592
Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain
1
10-01-2015 12:45 AM
JesseTheNoob
DIY Turbo Discussion
15
09-30-2015 02:44 PM
FrankB
Miata parts for sale/trade
6
09-30-2015 11:48 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COP problem with the cold


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.