EWG on cast FM manifold? - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Outside of Chicago
Posts: 153
Total Cats: -3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP3821 View Post
Was that an old FM manifold? IMO if it was you could have bolted it to the bottom
It was a MSM manifold.
vplukas101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #42
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Props given. Looks really good!
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,703
Total Cats: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplukas101 View Post
I went EWG on a cast mainfold once.....









never again.
LOL, are you the guy that argued with me about this over on CR.net? I may have been a bit harsh, but i still stand by what i said
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Outside of Chicago
Posts: 153
Total Cats: -3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireindc View Post
LOL, are you the guy that argued with me about this over on CR.net? I may have been a bit harsh, but i still stand by what i said
Might of bin, My idea behind it was DSM guys do it so a miata should be able to do it. It was a dumb idea. You live and you learn I guess.
vplukas101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #45
Slowest Progress Ever
Thread Starter
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 185
Default

Here are some crappy Iphone pics of the setup mounted in the car and finished. I did all my water lines in -4 braided SS. The -10 braided line coming off my valve cover goes to the end of my DP to a slash cut. My PVC port on the valve cover is welded shut, and I welded a -10 male fitting where my breather tube was on the valve cover. The -4 cooling lines go from the supply to the EWG, then to the turbo CHRA, then back to the return. The dump tube is a 90* bend, goes down between the DP and the cast manifold, then turns like 25* and points straight down about 2" under the manifold where it vents to atmosphere. I did this cause to weld it to the DP would be a pain if I ever had to dismantle this setup, and I didn't want a whole lot of weight hanging off the side of the EWG. My turbine outlet is a 5 bolt GT28 outlet with the oval port design, I took a piece of 120* bend 3" SS tubing and cut it and smashed it flat to make an angled oval shape before I welded it to the flange. Then I cut it to be about as long as a FM turbine outlet, and welded a v band flange on it. I used my FM SS DP, but I cut the bolt flange off of that and welded a v band flange on it. I thought about making it all 1 piece from the turbo flange to the end of the DP, but if I ever need to take it apart, I simply undo a v band clamp instead of unbolting/ stripping/ snapping off studs. Another thing about my DP, it had 2 O2 ports on it. I used the upper one for my wideband, and the rear one I used a cut off wheel and made it disappear. This became my mounting hole to weld my slash cut to.

EWG on cast FM manifold?-incar1.jpg

EWG on cast FM manifold?-incar2.jpg

EWG on cast FM manifold?-incar3.jpg

Last edited by thirdgen; 02-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #46
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

looking good Todd.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #47
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplukas101 View Post
Might of bin, My idea behind it was DSM guys do it so a miata should be able to do it. It was a dumb idea. You live and you learn I guess.
Apparently it can be done well. You just have to treat the cast with a certain amount of heat to get good penetration. That is what I have heard but **** I aint ever attempting that **** lol
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #48
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,196
Total Cats: 2,583
Default

if it can be done well, I have still yet to see it.

pretty much every one of the begi s5 manifolds sold here used has been cracked thus far. same goes for every other welded cast manifold I"ve ever seen.

With Todd using that adapter/bolts I think his manifold might actually hold up. Only thing I see that might happen is those bolts might stretch, so might need inco
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #49
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Braunfels,TX
Posts: 1,141
Total Cats: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
if it can be done well, I have still yet to see it.

pretty much every one of the begi s5 manifolds sold here used has been cracked thus far. same goes for every other welded cast manifold I"ve ever seen.

With Todd using that adapter/bolts I think his manifold might actually hold up. Only thing I see that might happen is those bolts might stretch, so might need inco
Same here I havent seen a long lasting welded cast. I really dont understand why begi didnt just have a seperate cast manifold with EWG instead of welding to their current cast.

On the flip side Im thinking about taking some measurements and playing with inventor and getting and adapter made. (off topic) I still need to create an illustrator file for custom gauges too.(so many projects)
ScottyP3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #50
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,465
Total Cats: 783
Default

It's because Miata.

This sort of thing lasts forever on cars that aren't Miatas.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:09 AM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Woostuh, MA
Posts: 2,953
Total Cats: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen View Post
That flange consisted of like an hour of lathe work, some grinding, lots of drilling, counter boring, and welding. The manifold required some milling, drilling, and tapping.
I built this cause I like having things that nobody else has, and I like fabricating things like this.
Would I make one for you? Sorry, but no. The price I would charge you, you're better off just buying a tubular manifold with a wastegate flange welded on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen View Post
Here are some crappy Iphone pics of the setup mounted in the car and finished. I did all my water lines in -4 braided SS. The -10 braided line coming off my valve cover goes to the end of my DP to a slash cut. My PVC port on the valve cover is welded shut, and I welded a -10 male fitting where my breather tube was on the valve cover. The -4 cooling lines go from the supply to the EWG, then to the turbo CHRA, then back to the return. The dump tube is a 90* bend, goes down between the DP and the cast manifold, then turns like 25* and points straight down about 2" under the manifold where it vents to atmosphere. I did this cause to weld it to the DP would be a pain if I ever had to dismantle this setup, and I didn't want a whole lot of weight hanging off the side of the EWG. My turbine outlet is a 5 bolt GT28 outlet with the oval port design, I took a piece of 120* bend 3" SS tubing and cut it and smashed it flat to make an angled oval shape before I welded it to the flange. Then I cut it to be about as long as a FM turbine outlet, and welded a v band flange on it. I used my FM SS DP, but I cut the bolt flange off of that and welded a v band flange on it. I thought about making it all 1 piece from the turbo flange to the end of the DP, but if I ever need to take it apart, I simply undo a v band clamp instead of unbolting/ stripping/ snapping off studs. Another thing about my DP, it had 2 O2 ports on it. I used the upper one for my wideband, and the rear one I used a cut off wheel and made it disappear. This became my mounting hole to weld my slash cut to.

Attachment 103841

Attachment 103842

Attachment 103843
I guess I became the long term testing dummy for this setup.

While Todd didn't make that guy one of these, I guess I beat him to the bunch and just bought the whole damn setup! Can't wait to get it working!
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:40 AM   #52
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Woostuh, MA
Posts: 2,953
Total Cats: 81
Default

Update: Manifold still hasn't broken in the location where it was tapped for the ewg.

Point: If this has survived me for a year, it'll likely work for anyone else that wants to take the time to do what Todd did!
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 AM   #53
Slowest Progress Ever
Thread Starter
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 185
Default

I'm really glad this held up for ya, and I'm glad you got to experience it. I built it with full intentions of it lasting forever, but then life stuff happened for me and I decided to change my route.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.