How much can I salvage from other car makes for a 1.8 home brew? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
DoA
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -37
Question How much can I salvage from other car makes for a 1.8 home brew?

Hi its my first post here but I've been a regular reader on the forums and its usually the most reliable general Miata info online and a great fun website cheers to all.

I live in Japan and have huge selection of free/cheap used non Miata parts (friend is a Jap used parts dealer) so I have decided to gather up a turbo setup from as much savage/used parts as possible for my 97 1.8 in good mechanical condition 140.000 km on the clock etc.

I will be happy to get about 250 to 300hp hopefully and remain using regular fuel.
 I've tried googling for the last few months but keep finding 1.6 setups mainly and others are usually ready kits...

I've been into the drag racing scene so I am hoping to achieve as brutal acceleration as possible (if possible?) and not so worried about top end speed too much.

If this isn't achievable with the stock drive line and gear ratios etc I may look into more at an engine swap...

Thanks ahead.
DoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
DoA
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -37
Default

Sorry if a repost ...I tried searching but not sure under what terms ...Is there a thread specific on the subject?
Would love to read it if there is.
DoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Hear me Meow
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,993
Total Cats: 13
Default

The turbo itself can easily be obtained from other cars. You'll have to figure that one out on your own based on your power goals. I took one from a mitsubishi eclipse for my last car, which got me about 200whp. That was a pretty small turbo.

Intercoolers can also be taken from other cars. A number of people use starion intercoolers with modified end tanks.

Fuel injectors from RX-7s are pretty common, though I can't remember off the top of my head just how big they go. Fuel injectors are pretty common though, and there is more info on them in the FAQ threads.

Some people have used the DSM ECU, though I personally wouldn't bother.

You probably won't find any exhaust manifolds or pipes from other cars, though you could probably hack some kind of turbo-back together using parts if you wanted. Intercooler piping will be the same story.

If you keep the power on the 250 side, you may be fine with the stock rear end (as long as you don't wheel hop), but you'll probably break the transmission at some point, so you'll want to upgrade to a 6-speed, which as far as I know only comes in the newer miatas.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
DoA
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
The turbo itself can easily be obtained from other cars. You'll have to figure that one out on your own based on your power goals. I took one from a mitsubishi eclipse for my last car, which got me about 200whp. That was a pretty small turbo.

Intercoolers can also be taken from other cars. A number of people use starion intercoolers with modified end tanks.

Fuel injectors from RX-7s are pretty common, though I can't remember off the top of my head just how big they go. Fuel injectors are pretty common though, and there is more info on them in the FAQ threads.

Some people have used the DSM ECU, though I personally wouldn't bother.

You probably won't find any exhaust manifolds or pipes from other cars, though you could probably hack some kind of turbo-back together using parts if you wanted. Intercooler piping will be the same story.

If you keep the power on the 250 side, you may be fine with the stock rear end (as long as you don't wheel hop), but you'll probably break the transmission at some point, so you'll want to upgrade to a 6-speed, which as far as I know only comes in the newer miatas.
Thanks a lot mate !!!!
DoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

you can also get an oil cooler from an RX-7.

I think rx-8 injectors would be better, atleast they have a better pintle pattern from my reading.

Otherwise, you will have to do something about the piping for oil, coolant, and intercooler. Not sure about suggestions in that area.

Brakes, a couple of people have used rx-7 brakes and I know one guy on here who is using porsche brakes.
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Martin, Slovakia
Posts: 513
Total Cats: 71
Default

It might not get you to 300 bhp... but the Impreza TD04 turbo and decat downpipe together with a forward sitting log manifold is an option.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
How much can I salvage from other car makes for a 1.8 home brew?-p1020513.jpg  
sturovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
DoA
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturovo View Post
It might not get you to 300 bhp... but the Impreza TD04 turbo and decat downpipe together with a forward sitting log manifold is an option.

[IMG][/IMG]
Cool is that your build in the picture ,I heard Renault wheels can provide some good top end power if pumped properly ?

Nice info so far , thanks I can see what my friend can dig up at the yards

Last edited by DoA; 02-08-2012 at 01:07 AM.
DoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Martin, Slovakia
Posts: 513
Total Cats: 71
Default

Thanks DoA for the info on pumping the wheels...... part of the puzzle I was missing
I was at a scrap yard a few weeks ago and found this frame under a fridge, 13 kg scrap price 30 euros! What to do next is not clear but possibly I will try something electric.
The td04 and downpipe is for a friends 1.6 na which we will start to fit once this freezing weather subsides.
sturovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
DoA
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturovo View Post
Thanks DoA for the info on pumping the wheels...... part of the puzzle I was missing
I was at a scrap yard a few weeks ago and found this frame under a fridge, 13 kg scrap price 30 euros! What to do next is not clear but possibly I will try something electric.
The td04 and downpipe is for a friends 1.6 na which we will start to fit once this freezing weather subsides.
Oh now I see hehe I was like what the hell is that thing?

Yep same goes for sunny Okinawa isnt so sunny at the moment and the yards here arent as good as in mainland Japan but with lots of digging around you do find some cool stuff.

I was also after seats some RX8,Suzuki Cappuccino will do ...but I keep finding the same set of Recaros recliners ...the back doesn't clear the Miata seatbelt column.
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=52622

What country are you in? the bike frame is cheap for 30 Euro if its straight
DoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

I have a td04 for sales
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Martin, Slovakia
Posts: 513
Total Cats: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoA View Post
What country are you in? the bike frame is cheap for 30 Euro if its straight
Downtown, Martin Slovakia and luckily the frame is straight.
sturovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On a boat
Posts: 31
Total Cats: -16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
The turbo itself can easily be obtained from other cars. You'll have to figure that one out on your own based on your power goals. I took one from a mitsubishi eclipse for my last car, which got me about 200whp. That was a pretty small turbo.

Intercoolers can also be taken from other cars. A number of people use starion intercoolers with modified end tanks.

Fuel injectors from RX-7s are pretty common, though I can't remember off the top of my head just how big they go. Fuel injectors are pretty common though, and there is more info on them in the FAQ threads.

Some people have used the DSM ECU, though I personally wouldn't bother.

You probably won't find any exhaust manifolds or pipes from other cars, though you could probably hack some kind of turbo-back together using parts if you wanted. Intercooler piping will be the same story.

If you keep the power on the 250 side, you may be fine with the stock rear end (as long as you don't wheel hop), but you'll probably break the transmission at some point, so you'll want to upgrade to a 6-speed, which as far as I know only comes in the newer miatas.
Hey bro I think you got that backwards.. The trans should be fine at 250hp with a good clutch... But the stock rear end blows up at the damnedest times on factory HP..... Or at least that has been my experience...
Downshift88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 3,778
Total Cats: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift88 View Post
Hey bro I think you got that backwards.. The trans should be fine at 250hp with a good clutch... But the stock rear end blows up at the damnedest times on factory HP..... Or at least that has been my experience...
250whp is pushing it with a stock 5 speed. Many people will prefer the 5 speed, and it can last a long time at 250whp. The 6 speed will handle 400whp+(not sure how long) on the street, but starts to become a wear item for hardcore track guys. The rear end is a ticking time bomb on 90-93 miatas. The 1.8 rear ends are fine at 250whp+, unless you're drag racing.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
Hear me Meow
iTrader: (3)
 
skidude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Outside Portland Maine
Posts: 1,993
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift88 View Post
Hey bro I think you got that backwards.. The trans should be fine at 250hp with a good clutch... But the stock rear end blows up at the damnedest times on factory HP..... Or at least that has been my experience...
The OP has a 1.8 rear end, which will be fine. The transmission will probably be fine, but a 6-speed would be more fine if he wanted.
skidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
DoA
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude View Post
The OP has a 1.8 rear end, which will be fine. The transmission will probably be fine, but a 6-speed would be more fine if he wanted.
I never mentioned that the car is an AT at the moment ...I will be onto a 6 speed swap after some power results.
DoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,524
Total Cats: 27
Default

Could you get a torsen with the automatic?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #17
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Palm Harbor FL
Posts: 332
Total Cats: 4
Default

Make 250hp and everything aside from the stock clutch should be able to hold up. If you have an open diff swap the diff itself for an rx7 clutch type lsd and your god to go. If your looking for 300whp your going to break a 5 speed sooner then later along with rods if you use a log manifold and a tiny turbo. Torque breaks rods, about 250ftlbs is all they can handle. So make your 300hp on a big turbo that doesn't give your rotating assembly hell at low rpms. Since your drag racing you can come out on an antilag so spool time really doesnt matter.
1slowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
DoA
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
Total Cats: -37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowna View Post
Make 250hp and everything aside from the stock clutch should be able to hold up. If you have an open diff swap the diff itself for an rx7 clutch type lsd and your god to go. If your looking for 300whp your going to break a 5 speed sooner then later along with rods if you use a log manifold and a tiny turbo. Torque breaks rods, about 250ftlbs is all they can handle. So make your 300hp on a big turbo that doesn't give your rotating assembly hell at low rpms. Since your drag racing you can come out on an antilag so spool time really doesnt matter.
All sounds good , as for now it will stay stock Auto I have heard of a couple of them being around producing around the 250hp ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Could you get a torsen with the automatic?
As far as my hours of research went my 97SR-LTD Jap spec does come with the torsen ...Similar spec as the US M Editions!

I have decided to go with a local tuning shop Speed Factory its near my house and they are very flexible and experts on turbo charging and engine swaps etc mainly deal with Nissan, I see some street legal monsters come out from there regularly.

One more thing
I'm not so sure about ,since it is my first turbo attempt ,

I'm wondering if there is a particular order of the sections of the build that will keep my car drivable rather than leaving it in the shop constantly until
its all done...

I may ask the same question to guys at the shop but their Engrish is not so great and I know there is more Turbo Roadster experts here.


I hear of guys doing this whilst also driving the car regularly but I'm not sure .This advice will get me ready to organise possibly using the family car to get to work etc.

Thanks again for all the advice!!!
DoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Martin, Slovakia
Posts: 513
Total Cats: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturovo View Post
What to do next is not clear but possibly I will try something electric.

Engine / gearbox and engine management sorted out now I just to work on the drivetrain
Attached Thumbnails
How much can I salvage from other car makes for a 1.8 home brew?-p1020793.jpg   How much can I salvage from other car makes for a 1.8 home brew?-p1020795.jpg  
sturovo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
91 1.6l turbo complete part out. Tony the Tiger Miata parts for sale/trade 63 12-29-2016 03:23 AM
Prepping my '95 for track asmasm Build Threads 82 05-26-2016 05:37 PM
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM
New here, saying hi, here's what I'm workin with. SuperSneakySecretSquirrel Meet and Greet 5 09-06-2015 09:30 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 AM.