My First Turbo - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default My First Turbo

Hi All,

Ive been lurking this forum for well over 3 years now. I bought my Silver 99 NB in 2007 and Ive loved every second of it. My original plan was to pay the car off as quickly as possible and then begin a turbo project. Well now the car is paid off and it's that time.

Due to my limited experience with forced induction i thought becoming part of this group would be invaluable to my project.After thoroughly searching past posts and reading the stickied threads here it seems like this forum holds a great depth of knowledge as well as many helpful and friendly people, all with a common passion for boosted miatas.

BUDGET IS A HUGE ISSUE for me: I want to be very frugal here. My funds will be focused on purchasing a starter kit from BEGI including the shanghai turbo(china charger), cast iron Manifold, and down pipe. Im willing to invest in this because it will land me a CARB exempt EO sticker for the car and after talking with Stephanie at BEGI I feel confident in their quality and service.

Today marks day one of what I expect to be a long and enjoyable project. To start off I want to post a list of parts i need to acquire. Ive been creating this list since my desire to turbo the car surfaced.

I am looking for any critiques or advice here...

What can i add?
What do i not need?
What am i missing?
Suggestions on sourcing certain parts?

Ill take Absolutely any other advice for a first time DIY turbo guy...

MY INITIAL PARTS LIST:

Manifold (BEGI)
Down pipe (BEGI)
Turbo (BEGI Chinacharger)
Engine Management (MS hopefully purchased here)
Piping (Turbo to throttle body)
Injectors
Fuel Pump
Boost Control- (Waste gate, etc…)
Wideband O2 Sensor
IAT Sensor
Water Lines and Fittings
Oil Supply Lines and Fittings
Oil Return Line and Fittings
Hose Clamps
Boost Gauge
Intercooler- (Optional) water injection etc….
BOV- (optional)
All New Belts
Coolant Flush
Oil Change
Transmission Fluid Change
New Gear Oil
New Plugs
New Wires
Air Filter
New Clutch
New Tires
Coolant Re-route/ Larger Radiator

After seeing how helpful members on this forum can be i cant wait to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks in Advance,

Brad

EDIT: My car is stock now and my power goals are modest, 200 at the crank(160-180whp) with 7PSI max to save the motor in the long run.

I should also mention i plan on taking the head off the motor before the turbo install. New shims, a valve job, and a VERY mild port and polish at a buddies machine shop will follow.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Turbo-b.jpg   My First Turbo-b1.jpg   My First Turbo-b3.jpg   My First Turbo-b4.jpg  

Last edited by Beaz; 04-24-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

I dont think you need an O2 clamp if youre going to use real engine management ( NOT band aids). Also you might want to spend some coin on COPS instead of replacing the plug wires. Aside from that you list look complete, if you go ahead and get a kit you wont have to worry about fitting

Also tell us what's already on the car, and what are your power goals. Dont forget suspension and tires as you will need to upgrade those too
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Culpeper Va
Posts: 264
Total Cats: 0
Default

Hmm....maybe a clutch kit?
bojanglincraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
I dont think you need an O2 clamp if youre going to use real engine management ( NOT band aids). Also you might want to spend some coin on COPS instead of replacing the plug wires. Aside from that you list look complete, if you go ahead and get a kit you wont have to worry about fitting

Also tell us what's already on the car, and what are your power goals. Dont forget suspension and tires as you will need to upgrade those too
Wow thanks for the quick response.

So the O2 clamp wont be needed if im using a real Engine management system? Good to know.

For now the car is stock with the exception of racing beat springs. I made myself hold off on modifying it until i paid it off.

Ill add the other stuff in my original post.

Thanks!
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 112
Total Cats: 1
Default

How about clutch?

Another tip: put the megasquirt first before the turbo.
bogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

^^ Yes, to my knowledge the O2 clamp tricks the stock computer's O2 signal. If you have an aftermarket standalone all you have to do is tune.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogly View Post
How about clutch?

Another tip: put the megasquirt first before the turbo.
Good idea. I Just added clutch to my original list, it needs to be replaced regardless.

Your advice would be to purchase engine management before the turbo. Why MS in your opinion?
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
^^ Yes, to my knowledge the O2 clamp tricks the stock computer's O2 signal. If you have an aftermarket standalone all you have to do is tune.
That's how i understand it as well, and it makes sense that wouldn't be needed with a full EM system.

Thanks
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
That's how i understand it as well, and it makes sense that wouldn't be needed with a full EM system.

Thanks
You wouldnt need it with ANY standalone fully programable ECU. The system whether is FM, Begi or Chinawercks (made up) is mostly hardware i.e. turbo, mani,dp etc...

What you need is a fully programable ECU (btw some can be run in parallel with stock unit) unless you want to **** with band-aids
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 6
Default

I am selling one, MS Full Standalone https://www.miataturbo.net/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/ms2-abefm-pnp-adapter-board-nb-%24400-46377/ You will need this. Don't mess with bandaids.
lsc224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc224 View Post
I am selling one a MS Full Standalone https://www.miataturbo.net/showthread.php?t=46377 You will need this. Don't mess with bandaids.
Is this a plug and play solution for my specific goals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
You wouldnt need it with ANY standalone fully programable ECU. The system whether is FM, Begi or Chinawercks (made up) is mostly hardware i.e. turbo, mani,dp etc...

What you need is a fully programable ECU (btw some can be run in parallel with stock unit) unless you want to **** with band-aids
So the fully programmable ECUS replace the stock ECU usually? Due to my lack of experience i always thought they were plug and play. Are there any options that are plug in play, or like you said, run in tandem with the stock ECU? I will do wiring if i have to but id like to avoid as much as possible because that is my downfall.
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Junior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 6
Default

Yes it's Plug and Play. Take off the stock ECU and plug this in. You'll also need an IAT sensor. You can buy that from DIYAutotune.com.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
Is this a plug and play solution for my specific goals?



So the fully programmable ECUS replace the stock ECU usually. Are there any options that are plug in play, or like you said, run in tandem with the stock ECU? I will do wiring if i have to but id like to avoid as much as possible because that is my downfall.
lsc224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc224 View Post
Yes it's Plug and Play. Take off the stock ECU and plug this in. You'll also need an IAT sensor. You can buy that from DIYAutotune.com.
IAT... is that intake air temp sensor?
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
IAT... is that intake air temp sensor?

Yes, this one, http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/g...tail-p-62.html

And you'll need this http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/u...tune-p-67.html to connect to your laptop.

You will also need a wideband to get you started with tuning. Then do the turbo.
lsc224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc224 View Post
Yes, this one, http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/g...tail-p-62.html

You will also need a wideband to get you started with tuning. Then do the turbo.
Looks like it needs to be mounted in the intake and it plugs into the New ECU i think, its just an attachment the MS needs to monitor intake air. Cool.

You suggest purchasing all tuning materials first and installing them before beginning the turbo set up?

Also, what does the Wideband O2 sensor entail? Is it just a replacement for the stock sensor or does it require more than that to install?

Thanks for all your help so far
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
Junior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
Looks like it needs to be mounted in the intake and it plugs into the New ECU i think, its just an attachment the MS needs to monitor intake air. Cool.

You suggest purchasing all tuning materials first and installing them before beginning the turbo set up?
Yes...ask anybody on this board. The major consensus is, do the MS first, wideband, injectors, then turbo.
lsc224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc224 View Post
Yes...ask anybody on this board. The major consensus is, do the MS first, wideband, injectors, then turbo.
Well that makes perfect sense to me, i just never would have gone about it that way without your advice. Im assuming the motor has to be re tuned after the turbo install obviously?
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
Junior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
Well that makes perfect sense to me, i just never would have gone about it that way without your advice. Im assuming the motor has to be re tuned after the turbo install obviously?
You got it! Now buy my MS!
lsc224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc224 View Post
You got it! Now buy my MS!
I will certainly keep it in mind. I have a feeling you will sell it before i am ready to start making purchases. But thanks a lot for your help and when the time comes ill make sure you didnt already sell it!
Beaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #20
Junior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 498
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz View Post
I will certainly keep it in mind. I have a feeling you will sell it before i am ready to start making purchases. But thanks a lot for your help and when the time comes ill make sure you didnt already sell it!
No problem...I'll take layaway....LOL
lsc224 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.