My Manifold build - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 1
Default

I'd prefer unpainted and unwrapped.

I like to send my stuff off to Jet-Hot.
deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando,Fl
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 0
Default

well again mine was a prototype
mx03tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #23
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx03tb View Post
well again mine was a prototype
And it looks damned good. That's why we're interested in getting ones like it for ourselves and making constructive suggestions.
deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

It does look good but like Weir says, 1.5" or go home!!!
Where does your guy get his weldeld from? If we can hook him up with a better cource for less as far as the flanges and weldels go, he may be able to offer a kick-*** price and sell a bunch of them here.
Tell him to look at acestainless.com for stainless steel 1.5" diameter weldels 304 grade Sch10 or Sch40, they have really good prices and do not come painted like the ones you used.
As far as flanges go, there is only one place to go to, WeiR!!! $22plus shipping for BP flanges, I know you don't have a batter source. lol
It is looking good being a prototype, but now that you have suggestions on how to make it better, your friend will sell a shitton of those here and elsewhere i'm sure.
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando,Fl
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 0
Default

yeah he can do 1.5 no prob and i'm talkin to "weir" about those flanges right now he's going to make two for nb and na both internal wastegate if any one wants one of these with an external let me know
mx03tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #26
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando,Fl
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 0
Default

ZABAC- i looked at the website and they don't seem to have 1.5" but what i can do is get the one's that i used and just take off the black paint how does that sound
mx03tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

1-1/2" sch10 long radius butt-weld 90 elbow 304/304L stainless $5.79 ea.
http://acestainless.com/index.php?ac...od&productId=2
You have to look for it...
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #28
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando,Fl
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 0
Default

ok that looks good i'll talk to him and see if that's were he wants to get it from, cuz were he get's his from is right next to the shop and plus those are more expensice which means he's going to charge more to make it
mx03tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando,Fl
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 0
Default

one more pic of the mani
Name:  IMG_3992.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  145.4 KB
mx03tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 38
Total Cats: 0
Default

That looks pretty badass. PM me when you've got everything figured out with prices and whatnot. I'd prefer unpainted and unwrapped as well, I've a a TD04HL-13G externally wastegated to go on a 1.8L that I need a manifold for. Thanks!
Redrocket27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

I'm interested in the price for the manifold too.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #32
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Cackalackey
Posts: 716
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I'm interested in the price for the manifold too.
lol
from all the people on here i would least expect for you to ask. lol.
musanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #33
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default




Looks surprisingly shaped like the BEGI S4. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

uhhh...great minds think alike, lol
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
Looks surprisingly shaped like the BEGI S4. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
The OP started with the "JDM" manifold off Ebay that is a shameless ripoff of the BEGI S4. The photo sequence suggests this manifold started out by cutting the cracked tubes out of that, leaving the head and turbine inlet flanges connected to each other by the brace that had been insufficient to prevent cracking. So it would be natural to end up with a similar tube arrangement.

Just making this up as I go along...

The thing I noticed here that I haven't picked up from available pics of the JDM manifold or the BEGI original is the rearward offset of the turbo from the header centerline. That makes it easier to get the air past the power steering pump and into the compressor. Is that a new thing with this manifold, or was it there with the original?
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musanovic View Post
lol
from all the people on here i would least expect for you to ask. lol.
I actually haven't seen this manifold cause all I get is the red X's too here at work. I want to know the price to see if what I want to charge for my manifold is competitive.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #37
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow510 View Post
The OP started with the "JDM" manifold off Ebay that is a shameless ripoff of the BEGI S4. The photo sequence suggests this manifold started out by cutting the cracked tubes out of that, leaving the head and turbine inlet flanges connected to each other by the brace that had been insufficient to prevent cracking. So it would be natural to end up with a similar tube arrangement.

Just making this up as I go along...

The thing I noticed here that I haven't picked up from available pics of the JDM manifold or the BEGI original is the rearward offset of the turbo from the header centerline. That makes it easier to get the air past the power steering pump and into the compressor. Is that a new thing with this manifold, or was it there with the original?
Ahh .. so it's a hack job of a hack job..
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #38
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orlando,Fl
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 0
Default

SolarYellow that's kinda what we did.. we figured just to leave the two flanges together with the rod so that way we have at least a place to start and basically copied the ebay mani but some other mods had to be done due to the bigger tube size.. like i've said earlier were going to make 4 two the bp's and b6t's from what i know now the price is going to be 500 but it's still kinda sketchy i'll get the secure price today
mx03tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #39
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx03tb View Post
SolarYellow that's kinda what we did.. we figured just to leave the two flanges together with the rod so that way we have at least a place to start and basically copied the ebay mani but some other mods had to be done due to the bigger tube size.. like i've said earlier were going to make 4 two the bp's and b6t's from what i know now the price is going to be 500 but it's still kinda sketchy i'll get the secure price today
Don't you find it kind of shady to sell another company's design?
MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #40
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5-4me View Post
Don't you find it kind of shady to sell another company's design?
If it's not patentable, let alone patented... no.
deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.