need advice if i should upgrade greddy? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 0
Default need advice if i should upgrade greddy?

I know i'm bugging everyone with my multiple questions about my miata but bear with me. I've got the 1.6L greddy kit on my miata and I just order turbo tony dp for it. I just realized that i need to rebuild my turbo (oil leaking in the turbine). I read that doing so isn't hard at all and i can get the kit really cheap from http://www.gpopshop.com/ but what i would like to know is if it would be worth rebuilding my kit or upgrading? here's a list of what i got

greddy kit
rc 440cc injectors
ms
IC piping with FMIC
motor thats about to blow but i've decided to spend the money to rebuild it with rods pistons etc etc.
turbo tony dp
2.5 exhuast
nvmx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

I mean hell...why not just rebuild the turbo, its not the 'best setup' but you already have everything to why not just use it?
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

With that list I would upgrade to a FM/BEGi mani/DP combo and make the existing stuff work with it. Especially since you are rebuilding the motor with better internals, might as well make use of them.
Do not rebuild that turbo, save up some money and get a bigger turbo used to go with your better mani/DP combo. What clutch do you have and what exhaust do you have. Are you still on the 6" rear end?
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamania View Post
I mean hell...why not just rebuild the turbo, its not the 'best setup' but you already have everything to why not just use it?
that is what i was thinking but i wasn't to sure about it. i'm currently pushing 11psi.
nvmx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 0
Default

quick question i'm on the website to order the rebuilt kit. which one do i pick? is it the td04 rebuild? the greddy is a td04h
nvmx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabac View Post
With that list I would upgrade to a FM/BEGi mani/DP combo and make the existing stuff work with it. Especially since you are rebuilding the motor with better internals, might as well make use of them.
Do not rebuild that turbo, save up some money and get a bigger turbo used to go with your better mani/DP combo. What clutch do you have and what exhaust do you have. Are you still on the 6" rear end?

so i wouldn't use my dp that i ordered from turbo tony if i upgrade? I've got a cheap ebay clutch that i purchased 2 years ago but i only put 200mi on the miata since then (it's been down most of the time), but i'm not to concerned about it because i'm thinking about doing a 6sp tranny swap and i still have the 1.6 differential
nvmx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

NOt sure it would fit with your bigger turbo and better manifold if you get it.
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 0
Default

well does it really matter whats the most potiential i can put out on my greddy kit? and what about the BEGI/FM? my goal is around 250-300MAX is this anywhere near attainable with the greddy kit?
nvmx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

Not very efficiently, I think the most guys are putting out with greddy is 250 tops. If you want more than 250, you are best of with a bigger turbo, most greddy guys upgrade eventually, ask Vash. lol he just did.
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Newbsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,304
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmx-5 View Post
well does it really matter whats the most potiential i can put out on my greddy kit? and what about the BEGI/FM? my goal is around 250-300MAX is this anywhere near attainable with the greddy kit?
Your looking at topping out around 250 w/ the greddy turbo. That should be around 15-16 PSI. Maybe you should take it to that level and decide if you want more. 250 to the wheels in a miata is good enough for some... plus your looking at a serious cost investment when you start talking new turbo. I see that your going to build the motor, so maybe do that and run the greddy kit for awhile until you save up money for the new setup.

Rough setup-
manifold/dp/turbo ... couple ks.
Newbsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 74
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbsauce View Post
Your looking at topping out around 250 w/ the greddy turbo. That should be around 15-16 PSI. Maybe you should take it to that level and decide if you want more. 250 to the wheels in a miata is good enough for some... plus your looking at a serious cost investment when you start talking new turbo. I see that your going to build the motor, so maybe do that and run the greddy kit for awhile until you save up money for the new setup.

Rough setup-
manifold/dp/turbo ... couple ks.
i'm guessing that 250 would be my limit. but you never know i'm going to order the rebuild kit and fix my car to what i want it to be and if i feel like i need more power then i'll upgrade
nvmx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default

If your shooting for 250. My vote is different turbo set up.
mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_671 View Post
If your shooting for 250. My vote is different turbo set up.
IDK, the wastegate fails, but Ben is making like 257 or so at 16 psi isn't he?
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
Interpreting Deatchwerks Dead Times from Battery Wizard compuw22c MEGAsquirt 0 09-14-2015 07:08 PM
WTB T25/T28 flanged turbo ASAP JesseTheNoob WTB 4 09-11-2015 02:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 AM.