Nitrous - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,353
Total Cats: 65
Default Nitrous

Who sprays, what setup, what nozzles? I want to know details, I have been looking at direct port setups and just want to know who else (if anyone) is spraying.
RyanRaduechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,806
Total Cats: 183
Default

There was a member on here a long time ago (I think he got banned so I won't mention his name), but he used to spray is stock 99 I think? I think he ran megasquirt with like a 100 shot. If I remember correctly he used to run a low 14 second 1/4.
His name ends in MX5s and it'll say "I'm miserable" under his name. Search it up!
thirdgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

Patrick aka patsmx5.
Friend of mine.

He got rid of it for a large turbo setup a long time ago and still enjoying that.

He said he ended up getting sick and tired of nitrous, and didn't recommend it when I talked to him about it.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 2,791
Total Cats: 71
Default

I will likely be running it on my budget car to get a large turbo spooling on my budget racecar.
shlammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

I ran a 100 shot DP on my 99, then later went turbo instead.

My thoughts:
1) Direct Port is a must.
2) Dry nitrous with fuel compensation from the ECU is way better than a "wet" kit.
3) Buying good parts has a big impact on how well it works, everything from the feed line, to the solenoids, to the nozzles.
4) Dont be a retard and use massive a feed line. Small nylon line will flow plenty of nitrous and wont take long to prime. You DO NOT need a purge.
5) Check out noswizard.com, there you will find the best nitrous forum on the planet, along with the best nitrous kits on the planet. Talk to Trevor and it will all be clear.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,894
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
I ran a 100 shot DP on my 99, then later went turbo instead.

My thoughts:
1) Direct Port is a must.
2) Dry nitrous with fuel compensation from the ECU is way better than a "wet" kit.
3) Buying good parts has a big impact on how well it works, everything from the feed line, to the solenoids, to the nozzles.
4) Dont be a retard and use massive a feed line. Small nylon line will flow plenty of nitrous and wont take long to prime. You DO NOT need a purge.
5) Check out noswizard.com, there you will find the best nitrous forum on the planet, along with the best nitrous kits on the planet. Talk to Trevor and it will all be clear.
Yes you do.

I have run it on many different cars with many different configurations (dry, plate, foggers)

In the Miata I ran a [email protected] 101mph on a stock motor with stock ECU, clutch, light flywheel, exhaust, and slicks. My nitrous system was an NOS dry kit with an additional fuel pump that ran only when the system was armed.

I currently have a Wilson Manifold fogger kit that I will be installing soon after my next motor is built and tuned. I will convert it over to a poly line for ease of installation and for easy jet changes. The foggers will be under the intake.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,894
Total Cats: 109
Default



Here is a crappy pic of the solenoid mount I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Nitrous-img_5005.jpg  
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
Yes you do.

I have run it on many different cars with many different configurations (dry, plate, foggers)

In the Miata I ran a [email protected] 101mph on a stock motor with stock ECU, clutch, light flywheel, exhaust, and slicks. My nitrous system was an NOS dry kit with an additional fuel pump that ran only when the system was armed.

I currently have a Wilson Manifold fogger kit that I will be installing soon after my next motor is built and tuned. I will convert it over to a poly line for ease of installation and for easy jet changes. The foggers will be under the intake.

Thats because your feed line is too big.

You dont need a purge with a properly sized feed line. -4AN will support several hundred hp worth of nitrous. A 4mm nylon line will suport a 100 shot and its outer diameter is smaller than a -4AN inner diameter.

On my setup, even with having just connected the bottle, there was only a momentary blip before nitrous was there in the manifold. Once it was primed after that first hit it was instantaneous, always.
With my -4 it would take ******* forever to prime without a purge.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,894
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
Thats because your feed line is too big.

You dont need a purge with a properly sized feed line. -4AN will support several hundred hp worth of nitrous. A 4mm nylon line will suport a 100 shot and its outer diameter is smaller than a -4AN inner diameter.

On my setup, even with having just connected the bottle, there was only a momentary blip before nitrous was there in the manifold. Once it was primed after that first hit it was instantaneous, always.
With my -4 it would take ******* forever to prime without a purge.
You are missing the whole reason for running a purge. It is for releasing nitrous in order to correct your bottle pressure if you find it is too high when you are on the starting line.

Edit: Actually, I ran a smaller line than a 4AN. Nitrous line was always smaller than the typical AN sizes.

Last edited by miata2fast; 11-14-2012 at 03:33 PM.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,353
Total Cats: 65
Default

Sorry, I should've been more clear. This is a built 1.6, ported and gasket matched head/manifold that is turbo'd. Usual bottom end, wiseco pistons, main/head studs blah blah blah. ECU is a DIYPNP, I would like to run e85, but I don't know how well e85 and nitrous mix. I basically just want more power without going to a real bug turbo, if that makes sense. The ability to drive the car how it is but with the potential for some big power gains up top if I spray. My wants might be a dumb idea though, trying to learn more about it
RyanRaduechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,894
Total Cats: 109
Default

How big of a turbo and how much boost are you running?
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

someone wants to street race I see
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
someone wants to street race I see
In that case he should learn to brake boost properly.

Its hilarious how bad most people are at it.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,353
Total Cats: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
In that case he should learn to brake boost properly.

Its hilarious how bad most people are at it.
Ask Vlad how good I am at brake boosting, he will tell you.

Troy, I have the choice of a Garrett T3 .60/.63 or an eBay special T3/T4 .50/.63. The motor is still being built, so the boost levels are undecided yet, but I am shooting for ALLOFIT. lol I think the Garrett is too small.
RyanRaduechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,065
Total Cats: 253
Default

Sell both turbos and buy one of these bad boys.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

Did Soviet sell his? IIRC he had one but didn't install it, and went with the EFR instead.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,894
Total Cats: 109
Default

If you go big with turbo and boost, you are stuck with running the nitrous only at lower rpms and boost range. Even the high budget big boys have the nitrous shut down once the boost reaches a certain level. In this case nitrous is used for spooling sooner and better launches at the drag strip. Nitrous cars still dominate the race to the first 60'.

If turbo and boost levels are tame enough, you can use nitrous all the way to redline. You can only shove so much oxygen and fuel in the combustion chamber without all hell breaking loose.

You may even consider a reverse multi stage nitrous set up. Two small stages of nitrous on the initial launch, with one shutting down at full boost.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

I honestly think instead of all this wizardry you should just run mild tune on pump and ALLOFIT on e85 and skip the nitrous.

That is unless you have a spare setup and wouldn't have to invest any money at all into it. In that case I'd probably experiment with it.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,894
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I honestly think instead of all this wizardry you should just run mild tune on pump and ALLOFIT on e85 and skip the nitrous.
Damn it! Don't talk him out of it!

So when is this going to happen? Oh, and be sure to get a set of slicks. You are going to need them.

YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT!
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oakdale, CA
Posts: 1,353
Total Cats: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I honestly think instead of all this wizardry you should just run mild tune on pump and ALLOFIT on e85 and skip the nitrous.

That is unless you have a spare setup and wouldn't have to invest any money at all into it. In that case I'd probably experiment with it.
I do have another engine, but it is a SNC, but if that craps out I wouldn't care too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
Damn it! Don't talk him out of it!

So when is this going to happen? Oh, and be sure to get a set of slicks. You are going to need them.

YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT!
Well I am still building the engine. I just got a 1.8 swap with a 3.90 Torsen, and its on Toyo R888's. Once I get everything sorted and running I will have to figure on the boost levels and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperormiata View Post
Sell both turbos and buy one of these bad boys.
Then I'd have to remake my downpipe. Although that turbo is pretty damn cheap.
RyanRaduechel is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Zex nitrous, FM frame rails, clutch line, etc. Sermonation Miata parts for sale/trade 5 09-19-2011 08:22 PM
Nitrous and Turbo chicksdigmiatas Engine Performance 21 09-02-2011 11:16 AM
Nitrous control thread TravisR Adaptronic 10 08-04-2009 01:04 PM
Nitrous Express wet kit pschmidt Miata parts for sale/trade 6 12-01-2007 08:06 PM
How To Launch With Direct Port? patsmx5 General Miata Chat 10 09-26-2007 12:06 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.