is it possible, 13's? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default is it possible, 13's?

With the 60 trim t3, ebay cast manifold, 550's, big intercooler, and the Link, do you think I can easily get deep into the 13's?
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

You tell me. Launch hard and you can cut 13s with like 180-190whp. Baby the launch and it'll take 220+.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,575
Total Cats: 11
Default

with drag radials you could be into the 12s.
cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

Are you guys taking into account the 4500ft elevation? And I no lift shift at the track, so far from babying it. I will see how my 225's do before buying drag radials. And if I don't see at least 260 to the wheels I won't be happy.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 187
Default

I don't know what you will put out the wheels, but I can tell you this. If you have a clutch that does NOT slip, there is no reason to not run low 13's with a T3. High 12's are more like it depending on the boost level and the 60' time. Dude, according to calculations, I should run a 13.8 or 13.9 on my T25 with a good clutch and a good 60' time at 7 PSI. With 12-14 psi I WILL be in the in 12's. You got it with a T3, no worries.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

My ACT HD never slipped in my old Miata. The wheels are 15x8 Panasports with 225/50 15 G-Force Sports.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
Total Cats: 5
Default

what T3 60 trim though? There are hundreds of T3s
What turbo exactly?

You will have no problem with that at all.

91-93 octane
TURNS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 1,371
Total Cats: -1
Default

I dyno'ed at 219whp and i got a [email protected] the first day i was ever on a quarter mile. You will be in the 13's easy.
wes65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #9
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

It's the T3 off of an SVO Mustang/Merkur with a .48 turbine housing and .60 compressor, basically the same size as a gt2560 according to the guys at FM.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Trailer County
Posts: 530
Total Cats: -9
Default

Dont they say the rear will suffer from hard launches?
mazpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 187
Default

I have heard that, but I'd say that's from doing things like running slicks & dumping the clutch at high RPM. I babied my car off the line, run a 2.57 60' and I still ran the 1/4 at 100 MPH. You gotta know what makes you happy with your car. Either you launch it hard and have a good timeslip, but risk damage to your rear. Or you be a ***** about the launch and you take what you can get.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpr View Post
Dont they say the rear will suffer from hard launches?
Pretty much everything suffers from hard launches to some degree, but I'm not too worried about breaking my Torsen. You might want to do some searches and get educated before you get treated like a newbie.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,791
Total Cats: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2zoom View Post
Pretty much everything suffers from hard launches to some degree, but I'm not too worried about breaking my Torsen. You might want to do some searches and get educated before you get treated like a newbie.
Those torsens aren't bulletproof. I know stock power/weight/launch rpm are quite a bit different, but S2000 diffs are just beefed up Mazda diffs (they were sourced from Mazda). Go over to s2ki and ask them what happens when you launch an S2000.

It looks like this:

Name:  diffplug.png
Views: 3
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  diffgear.png
Views: 4
Size:  543.1 KB

Name:  diffpinion.png
Views: 3
Size:  747.1 KB
pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

^ That picture above brings up a question I have had about the torsens. It seems to be common knowledge that they are more prone to failure than the non-torsen version. However that picture above shows a pinion failure, and not necessarily a failure within the torsen related assembly itself. I suppose it could have been a torsen related failure that precipitated the pinion failure. But that is an aside.

So when there are 'torsen failures' what is typically failing, the ring and pinion, or something within the torsen unique components themselves? If it tends to be the ring and pinion, then is there something about the torsen that causes higher stress levels on the ring and pinion, such as higher torsen assembly mass (inertia), or better distribution of torque to the wheels (better traction resulting in higher torque load)?
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Former Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 395
Total Cats: 4
Default

i would think 13's would be pretty easy with a boosted setup in such a small car.. takes about 240-250whp to run 13s in a 2.5 WRX launching hard
Deatschwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Eastern Wisconsin
Posts: 1,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
^ That picture above brings up a question I have had about the torsens. It seems to be common knowledge that they are more prone to failure than the non-torsen version. However that picture above shows a pinion failure, and not necessarily a failure within the torsen related assembly itself. I suppose it could have been a torsen related failure that precipitated the pinion failure. But that is an aside.

So when there are 'torsen failures' what is typically failing, the ring and pinion, or something within the torsen unique components themselves? If it tends to be the ring and pinion, then is there something about the torsen that causes higher stress levels on the ring and pinion, such as higher torsen assembly mass (inertia), or better distribution of torque to the wheels (better traction resulting in higher torque load)?
The actual gears inside the Torsen unit fail, not the R&P. They are the weak link on a Torsen.
ApexOnYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

Define "easy"! I'm running about 240 at the wheels. My car is a heavy pig with the hard top, soft top, AC, cruise and power everything. Had Zero 1/4 mile experience. On 225 street tires it took me about 15 runs to get to 13.5 sec at 106. I wouldn't say "easy". You've gotta have some idea what you are doing. Guy's that are experienced at the 1/4? Yeah it would be "easy". Guys with a lightened or low option car? Much easier.

Next season I'm going hunting for a 13 flat. Don't want to set my goals too high!
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,841
Total Cats: 0
Default

I ran the 1/8th mile last night at 13psi with a gt2560. The clutch would slip in 3rd pretty bad. With a easy take off, I still pulled 9.5's and 9.6's from 77-80mph. I'm thinking that should be low 14's. I figure I would pull good 13's with good clutch.
Toddcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
I'm Miserable!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball1 View Post
Define "easy"! I'm running about 240 at the wheels. My car is a heavy pig with the hard top, soft top, AC, cruise and power everything. Had Zero 1/4 mile experience. On 225 street tires it took me about 15 runs to get to 13.5 sec at 106. I wouldn't say "easy". You've gotta have some idea what you are doing. Guy's that are experienced at the 1/4? Yeah it would be "easy". Guys with a lightened or low option car? Much easier.

Next season I'm going hunting for a 13 flat. Don't want to set my goals too high!
I'm very good at launching my car, it's the 3rd Miata I have had. Last year with 185's in the rear I was nailing 2.2 60's. I never drive like grandpa, and I don't ever take my foot off the gas in a drag race.
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Senior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 718
Total Cats: 5
Default

I had that turbo on my car for a while. 13s easy.
AT 14.5lbs I would be in the 13s.
at 18.5lbs of boost I was at 264 whp and 257ftlbs on 8.4:1CR 2.5" exh
TURNS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 PM.