Precision Turbos? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crestview FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default Precision Turbos?

I did some some searching but could not find much on people using precision turbos. Does anyone know of a manifold that will bolt up to a precision turbo? (Not a custom manifold) I know most people are big on Garrett turbos, but i was looking around and found that some precision turbos are rated about the same horsepower but cost a good amount less. Any information on precision turbos would be appreciated, or if anyone is using where did you get a manifold?
kfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

They make big turbos that range from 450hp and up.
The average turbo miata usually runs a small garrett with a t2 footprint and rated 200-300hp. Otherwise nothing wrong with precision. If you're aiming for big power its really just a personal preference: borgwarner, garrett, precision, holset, etc etc.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crestview FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Ok thanks, my goal is hopefully to have around 250whp, so a precision is not the turbo for me.
kfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

A Garrett 2560 is the turbo for you.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crestview FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

That is the main one I am looking at, I am either going to go with the begi S3 kit, or make my own with a Garrett 2560, I haven't decided yet
kfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 989
Total Cats: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrancis View Post
That is the main one I am looking at, I am either going to go with the begi S3 kit, or make my own with a Garrett 2560, I haven't decided yet
If you're thinking about buying a full begi s3 kit, you should look at the setup I have for sale. It is a complete turbo setup, with a efr turbo that spools just as fast as a 2560 but has much more headroom for the future.
wittyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

[email protected] advertising in every other thread
it is a sweet setup though.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 989
Total Cats: 23
Default

Lol I stop that now. I just saw a guy about to maybe drop 3.5k on a begi setup and wanted to let him know what else is out there.

End thread jack.
wittyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crestview FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Thanks for the offer, it sounds like a great setup but a little more than I am looking for. I know this is completely off topic but is there a sticky that contains basically everything to know about turbos? Like what the A/R is and what it means, what the trim is and how it is found, max flow fate explained, compressor wheel size explained etc.....
kfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

yes. google it. there are literally hundreds of threads all over the web where it is discussed in great detail.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrancis View Post
Thanks for the offer, it sounds like a great setup but a little more than I am looking for. I know this is completely off topic but is there a sticky that contains basically everything to know about turbos? Like what the A/R is and what it means, what the trim is and how it is found, max flow fate explained, compressor wheel size explained etc.....
It is a book called Maximum Boost and it is by Corky Bell. If you do not have it and have not read it then you need to stop everything you are thinking about and buy it and read it. Then come back and ask questions.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crestview FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Just ordered it off amazon
kfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 346
Total Cats: -223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrancis View Post
Thanks for the offer, it sounds like a great setup but a little more than I am looking for. I know this is completely off topic but is there a sticky that contains basically everything to know about turbos? Like what the A/R is and what it means, what the trim is and how it is found, max flow fate explained, compressor wheel size explained etc.....
Start here and read forward:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...rbo_tech_basic
Boost Joose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Palm Harbor FL
Posts: 332
Total Cats: 4
Default

Precision does make a t2 turbo now, i was playin with it at the PRI show, the guy said it was capable of 500whp and was on par with the garret gtx28r. But typically precision is known for their larger turbos, anyone looking fr over 300whp should at least keep precision in mind, they have good prices and quality turbos.
1slowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Total Cats: 0
Default

Your turbo selection should be based off two facts,

how much horsepower you want, and what you plan to do with the car. Although I cant comment on the smaller turbos people are suggesting, I can say for a 250 horsepower goal, I dont think spending 1000 dollars on a small precision unit is really a wise choice. I would also not waste money on ball bearing or billet turbos in this size either, as the added "spool" isnt going to be worth the money for the upgrade.
SupraTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 20
Total Cats: 1
Default

Just want to mirror off what everyone else is saying. We use the heck out of PTE turbos on DSMs and EVOs. SC61 is a beast on E-85. Company mainly makes larger frame turbochargers for motors that can handle the high boost characteristics. Take a ride in an EVO with a PTE 6262 on 38psi, you'll love it
Army4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Total Cats: 0
Default

I figured this is appropriate for OOing and AHHing at...



This is my precision 6766 Billet DBB turbo. Like Army4g63 said, they are more commonly known for mid to large frame turbos. I just browsed through their website, they dont offer much for smaller sized turbos, but if your horsepower goal is 400-800whp they offer 30 different turbos haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Precision Turbos?-suprasinglepics001.jpg  
SupraTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crestview FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Joose View Post
Great link, thanks.
kfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Palm Harbor FL
Posts: 332
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTim View Post
I figured this is appropriate for OOing and AHHing at...



This is my precision 6766 Billet DBB turbo. Like Army4g63 said, they are more commonly known for mid to large frame turbos. I just browsed through their website, they dont offer much for smaller sized turbos, but if your horsepower goal is 400-800whp they offer 30 different turbos haha.
They dont have them on the website but at PRI they told me they have a whole line of t2 turbos comming out this year. Also the ball bearing billet wheel isnt all about spool, The same turbo with a billet wheel and ball bearing will make more power even if it didnt spool faster. The ball bearing allows the turbine wheel to accelerate faster reducing back pressure which will allow you to throw more timing at it if and thus make more power. Notice every person you see with bent rods 250hp miatas all run gt25s and log manifolds, and all the still running 350hp stock motor miatas all run free flowing tubular manifolds with t3 frame turbos. Its a concept the honda guys got figured out but big turbos do not work well on road courses so most people building a setup for their miata will go with the tiny turbo and cast manifold which greatly limits the power capabilities of the stock motor IMO. Just think about how a rod bends when you hydrolock, the rod bends on its way up, not on its way down due to a massive thrust downward. At least this is my understanding, correct if incorrect.
1slowna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowna View Post
They dont have them on the website but at PRI they told me they have a whole line of t2 turbos comming out this year. Also the ball bearing billet wheel isnt all about spool, The same turbo with a billet wheel and ball bearing will make more power even if it didnt spool faster. The ball bearing allows the turbine wheel to accelerate faster reducing back pressure which will allow you to throw more timing at it if and thus make more power. Notice every person you see with bent rods 250hp miatas all run gt25s and log manifolds, and all the still running 350hp stock motor miatas all run free flowing tubular manifolds with t3 frame turbos. Its a concept the honda guys got figured out but big turbos do not work well on road courses so most people building a setup for their miata will go with the tiny turbo and cast manifold which greatly limits the power capabilities of the stock motor IMO. Just think about how a rod bends when you hydrolock, the rod bends on its way up, not on its way down due to a massive thrust downward. At least this is my understanding, correct if incorrect.

I'm not sure that your idea about the turbine speed affecting backpressure that much is correct. A/R makes sense.

Data point- it was very hard for me to hit 400hp with my GT30 and log manifold.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Today 10:04 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.