Reppin651's $320 turbo kit - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 122
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPassTheFence View Post
you honda guys are some weirdo *****, would rather feel the notching of the shifter cable than feel the lever pivoting in the transmission turret?

Whatever floats your boats, rite?
I'm not a honda guy I was just agree with him. I am a chevy guy I just don't like the way the shifter feels in this thing.
BoostedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connect-I-Cut
Posts: 1,431
Total Cats: 0
Default

There is nothing better than the shifter on the tranmission. I have no clue why anyone would like shift links
miataspeed2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 28
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayed View Post
You'll want to use better couplers than those drain connectors. They soften and will slip when hot. What is that you're using for oil feed? Does the brace have heim joint ends? What are you going to do for an intake/filter? how much did you have to modify your hood?

I'd like to see how much power you can make. I'm gonna be using the same turbo, but couldn't find any miata related info for it. Dsm guys say its good for 250hp (on a 2.0L). 200hp seems attainable. Here's my setup:



I think clocking it would have saved you a lot of cutting/welding. I didn't have to modify the wastegate bracket/actuator either.
To answer your question yes I'm using cheapo coulpers, but I welded a bead around the end of the pipes so they should hold up. I've used they on other projects and after a boost leak test they held up 15psi no problem. I did the same thing your doing, routing a u-pipe back to the afm. I did have to notch the hood, but it was real easy because of the thin aluminum hood. I'm using a -3 oil line hooked up to the original oil line from the turbo with just a small pvc hose clamp. And yes the brace are helm joints, one side mounted to the moter mount, the other to the bolt connecting the turbo and dp.

Im shooting for about 250, but I'll be happy at about 220ish. Probably need about 20 psi to get to 250 with these small turbo, but its a lot more fun to drive for a dd than a big turbo with major lag.

Yes I wanted to clock the turbo but the c-clip that holds the compressor housing was rusted on... best thing I could do was clock the whole assembly. I'm debating if I should trim the fin of the engine frame to clock the turbo more so I can get a perfect straight doen flow of the return line.
reppin651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (34)
 
ARTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 530
Total Cats: 9
Default

It seems like a tight fit for a u bend, but it could just be the angle of the pic. If you want to clean up the oil line later all you need is a $5 inverted flare 7/16 -24 to -3an brake fitting. As far as the cartridge angle, i believe garrett/turbonetics recommend no more than 15 degrees off vertical, so if you're within that it's fine. You shouldn't have to trim anything to clock it though.

Sent you a pm about the brace, hopefully you can receive pm's.
ARTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

I like some Toyota and Honda cable shifters a lot, too. And I've driven the ***** off more cars than most people will drive at all.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,378
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedR View Post
I with him on the shifting part though I have a 6 speed I still like the way my honda integra type r shift. I have owned 12 cars and I dislike the shifter on this car the most out of all them.
Buy a mazdaspeed short shifter. Best feel ever.
naarleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,685
Total Cats: 216
Default

I used to think my miata was SOOOOO light, then I found out that a civic hatch with the carpet and rear seats removed is like 1800 pounds.
There is a lot of weight that goes into making the miata rigid because it is a convertible.

I used to hate on hondas too, I thought they were all ricers, then I started working on them and I found out that they can be moddified so easily and when you put the right parts in them they are pretty much the fastest car for the money... ever.
Full_Tilt_Boogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #28
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 122
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Boogie View Post
I used to think my miata was SOOOOO light, then I found out that a civic hatch with the carpet and rear seats removed is like 1800 pounds.
There is a lot of weight that goes into making the miata rigid because it is a convertible.

I used to hate on hondas too, I thought they were all ricers, then I started working on them and I found out that they can be moddified so easily and when you put the right parts in them they are pretty much the fastest car for the money... ever.
My friend had a crx fully stripped I'm talking everything nothing but a steering wheel and gas pedal. It weight 1602 with him in the car and gas. The car was making 314whp on a stock internal with a gsr b18c. I have owned my share of honda's and they are cheap to make go fast and have a huge aftermarket support. But the Miata is way more fun to drive why do you think I traded my 98 integra type R for a 2001 miata and I have way more fun driving this car. Rear wheel drive convertible over a front wheel drive hard top and day. Only Honda I would ever buy again is a S2k but I am not going to do it I'm gonna get a c6 corvette instead.
BoostedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 22
Total Cats: 0
Default

Ugly welds but nice to see someone doing it on the cheap. I'll be interested to see how much you have to put into the project if you are trying to go 15+ psi.
poisonousbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #30
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DC Metro, MD
Posts: 198
Total Cats: 0
Default

For the Honda argument RWD > FWD.

Hows the mani holding up?
mad doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 65
Total Cats: 0
Default

"Why can't we all just get along?" but seriously I drive my 1992 Honda civic 4-door every day, cause the wife don't agree with the kids riding in the trunk of the Miata :(. So i asked her to jump in the trunk and the kids ride up front, but that didnt go well either. Oh'well Thats life right.

For $320 you can't go wrong, looks good keep ballin on a budget Boosted
LowBoostn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #32
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,109
Total Cats: 518
Default

To be fair to Miata's, you have one of the heaviest, with ABS, PS, and AC. Give it help for christ's sake, remove all that, plus I don't think you'll be needing the airbox support bracket, that can go. And what are those tiny diagonal rods, did you tilt the rad back?
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #33
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 28
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousbeef View Post
Ugly welds but nice to see someone doing it on the cheap. I'll be interested to see how much you have to put into the project if you are trying to go 15+ psi.
Still got to clean up the welds, all it needs is injectors and em and a tune roughly $1k more lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad doc View Post
For the Honda argument RWD > FWD.

Hows the mani holding up?
So far so good, its in storage ever since and only seen about 100 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBoostn View Post
"Why can't we all just get along?" but seriously I drive my 1992 Honda civic 4-door every day, cause the wife don't agree with the kids riding in the trunk of the Miata :(. So i asked her to jump in the trunk and the kids ride up front, but that didnt go well either. Oh'well Thats life right.

For $320 you can't go wrong, looks good keep ballin on a budget Boosted
thats what i'm saying cant beat that for $320

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
To be fair to Miata's, you have one of the heaviest, with ABS, PS, and AC. Give it help for christ's sake, remove all that, plus I don't think you'll be needing the airbox support bracket, that can go. And what are those tiny diagonal rods, did you tilt the rad back?
I take trips down Mn so cc is nice, ps idk but dont want to mess with that. A/c is key, some days the top down or windows roll doesnt do it with. The rods hold the rad in place because its moved back two inchs to clear the room for the i/c and the condensor
reppin651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: maine
Posts: 224
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedR View Post
My friend had a crx fully stripped I'm talking everything nothing but a steering wheel and gas pedal. It weight 1602 with him in the car and gas. The car was making 314whp on a stock internal with a gsr b18c. I have owned my share of honda's and they are cheap to make go fast and have a huge aftermarket support. But the Miata is way more fun to drive why do you think I traded my 98 integra type R for a 2001 miata and I have way more fun driving this car. Rear wheel drive convertible over a front wheel drive hard top and day. Only Honda I would ever buy again is a S2k but I am not going to do it I'm gonna get a c6 corvette instead.
that b18c won't last long at that kind of power. I also had a honda and thought it was great 1990 barbados yellow crx si. i thought it was the greatest car ever cornerd like it was on rails. but when it comes down to it the front wheels were doing the steering, stopping, and accelerating. not to mention this was about 8 years ago and my father bought a 96 miata. after driving that i was all about rear wheel drive.
94blackmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94blackmx5 View Post
that b18c won't last long at that kind of power. I also had a honda and thought it was great 1990 barbados yellow crx si. i thought it was the greatest car ever cornerd like it was on rails. but when it comes down to it the front wheels were doing the steering, stopping, and accelerating. not to mention this was about 8 years ago and my father bought a 96 miata. after driving that i was all about rear wheel drive.
BS. The b18c has been known to be beat on ruthlessly with 400+hp and stock internals. The last one I heard of broke because a girl did a high rpm 3rd-4th (edit: meant 3rd-2nd) shift over-revving the motor and bending valves.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2564039

Last edited by wayne_curr; 09-22-2009 at 09:49 PM.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

.......


extra characters
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #37
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

cool. I love to see it done on a super-budget.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #38
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

why do we suddenly argue this ridiculous **** on this forum? Time to let ban hamster out of the rolly-ball and thin the herd.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #39
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default

Why put the BOV on the hot side of the IC?
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,685
Total Cats: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallzboater View Post
Why put the BOV on the hot side of the IC?
it doenst really matter that much
Full_Tilt_Boogie is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help - Stock Balancer and Fastforward overlay pulleys Frank_and_Beans Supercharger Discussion 13 09-12-2016 09:17 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Koni 1150 Coilover Kit drumman83 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 2 09-25-2015 08:03 PM
WTB 90-97 miata low profile headlight kit DonPlatt WTB 0 09-25-2015 03:57 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.