T25 from Nissan? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default T25 from Nissan?

Hey guys I called my local Nisan dealer and tried giving them part # 14411-91F00 but they said it was a bad part #... I read somewhere on here that Nissan should be able to get this turbo, and it was in the $600 ballpark?
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 187
Default

I would never buy this turbo straight from a dealer.
I bought 2 SR20 turbos on Craigslist for $40 for both. I bought the one that's on my car and still running after 4 years, paid like $120 for it.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen View Post
I would never buy this turbo straight from a dealer.
I bought 2 SR20 turbos on Craigslist for $40 for both. I bought the one that's on my car and still running after 4 years, paid like $120 for it.
Good to know, thanks! I will start looking around for one used on Zilvia and on here. No rush... have a good year and 1/2 to collect parts for my build until I can actually start putting it together! lol
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

There's a reason it's called the stealership.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuge26 View Post
There's a reason it's called the stealership.
Haha I hear ya. I just wanted to buy brand new so I can be sure not to have any problems down the road. $600 didn't seem too bad but if I can find one in good condition and half the price... by all means I'm gonna jump on it!
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Junior Member
iTrader: (42)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 280
Total Cats: 32
Default

Your avergae Nissan dealer won't be able to find this part since it's a JDM part that has to be special ordered from Japan. I just bought one a few months ago for $729 shipped from a Nissan dealer advertising on zilvia.net. Seems his price has since gone up to $879.

S15 Spec-R Factory OEM Turbo-Great Price!!! - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Two available on eBay for $764 shipped....

Nissan 240sx s13 s14 S15 Silvia SR20DET JDM Dual Ball Bearing T28 Turbo | eBay
skou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skou View Post
Your avergae Nissan dealer won't be able to find this part since it's a JDM part that has to be special ordered from Japan. I just bought one a few months ago for $729 shipped from a Nissan dealer advertising on zilvia.net. Seems his price has since gone up to $879.

S15 Spec-R Factory OEM Turbo-Great Price!!! - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Two available on eBay for $764 shipped....

Nissan 240sx s13 s14 S15 Silvia SR20DET JDM Dual Ball Bearing T28 Turbo | eBay
Hmmm I wonder if my old parts manager could hook me up and contact someone about special ordering one for me... I might go talk to him in person rather than call. I was a tech at the dealer I called this morning for 4 years. I still keep in contact with him because I deal with Nissan for the company I manage now.
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,928
Total Cats: 526
Default

why the hell would you pay $800 for a t25 when you can get an assortment of other [BIGGER] nice turbos for comparable monies? Am I missing something?
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
why the hell would you pay $800 for a t25 when you can get an assortment of other [BIGGER] nice turbos for comparable monies? Am I missing something?
I want a quick spooling smaller turbo that's not from China. I'm open for suggestions but from what I can tell a T25 Garrett turbo seemed to be the way to go... If not, enlighten me lol
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,928
Total Cats: 526
Default

How about a journal bearing Garrett GT28? Journal Bearing Garrett GT28 - T3 5 bolt .63 A/R 350HP+ : atpturbo.com

Would that provide comparable spool with better power? Still a T2 footprint, right?

Here's a ball-bearing one for the same $895 as the journal bearing one above... Garrett GT28 R/RS Turbocharger

I dunno. Seems like a solid choice, no?

You can also find dual ball bearing GT2560s for $975 shipped Garrett GT2560R-466541-4 (GT28R) Dual Ball Bearing Turbo w/Internal WG

but........

Why not buy a used one like suggested above? Could always send it to a reputable turbo shop and get it rebuilt, you'd still be wayyyy below the price of a new one.

Just other options!
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

No doubt! I definitely would consider buying used... as long as it's very low mileage or never installed. I want it to be reliable. I was considering the Nissan turbo because I read about someone ordering it directly from Nissan and it was $550-600.... Thats not bad when you compare it to a used one at $300-400 and not knowing it's mileage or what abuse it's been though. Just figured it would be a decent option considering I am only shooting for 200hp. I might still go with a Garrett T28 though
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 233
Total Cats: 10
Default

If youre looking for reliable, get a Garrett. New or used, they are very reliable. Paid $150 for mine with no shaft play and it works great.
mellowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowout View Post
If youre looking for reliable, get a Garrett. New or used, they are very reliable. Paid $150 for mine with no shaft play and it works great.
That'w what i've heard!!! Hope to find one for around that price!
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 233
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTMiata View Post
That'w what i've heard!!! Hope to find one for around that price!
Youll want to look at the classifieds on ziliva.net then. They pop up all the time, I had my choice of 3 or 4 when I looked.
mellowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowout View Post
Youll want to look at the classifieds on ziliva.net then. They pop up all the time, I had my choice of 3 or 4 when I looked.
Yeah i've been browing over there ... actually thats what im doing right now lol. I'll be ready to buy in the next week or 2. If I can't find a clean one low mileage, I might hold off till later in the winter
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Pen2_the_penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,690
Total Cats: 97
Default

Don't be so quick to write off a chinacharger. I bought a used Sr20 genuine Garett used for around 150 bucks shipped, so look around
Pen2_the_penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Newb
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26
Total Cats: 0
Default

Buy a used sr20 and if you want it "new" send it off and have it rebuilt or rebuild it yourself. The hardest part is getting the bolts on the exhaust housing loose.

Here is a good deal on a used sr20
https://www.miataturbo.net/miata-par...0-turbo-69636/

Here's a rebuild source
G-Pop Shop :: Rebuilding
new2mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen2_the_penguin View Post
Don't be so quick to write off a chinacharger. I bought a used Sr20 genuine Garett used for around 150 bucks shipped, so look around
I have actually been reading a lot of good stuff on the Isis turbo's... This still may be a route I could take. If something happened down the road, its only a $280 turbo. So I might still use this in the beginning stages of the build and change it up later on

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2mx5 View Post
Buy a used sr20 and if you want it "new" send it off and have it rebuilt or rebuild it yourself. The hardest part is getting the bolts on the exhaust housing loose.

Here is a good deal on a used sr20
https://www.miataturbo.net/miata-par...0-turbo-69636/

Here's a rebuild source
G-Pop Shop :: Rebuilding
I could definitely go this route also, and it's something I would definitely consider. Thanks
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
Slowest Progress Ever
iTrader: (26)
 
thirdgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The coal ridden hills of Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,812
Total Cats: 187
Default

When I think good dependable china charger, 1 word comes to mind. Godspeed.
thirdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,523
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen View Post
When I think good dependable china charger, 1 word comes to mind. Godspeed.
Hmmm price isn't bad on the T28 godspeed either... T28 Internal Wastegate Turbo : Godspeed Project - TC-015 by: Godspeed
BTMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM
Dsm t25 big16g or somethig else? karcher DIY Turbo Discussion 0 09-06-2015 06:02 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.