DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Help

 
Old 04-25-2019, 10:49 PM
  #1  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default No More T3 Super 60 or 60 trim.

Alright guys, I need your help. The Turbonetics T3 super 60 and 60 trim are discontinued for now.
I just finished my build and got about 900 miles on my car after 4 months worth of work including engine rebuild, rear end swap yata yata.
Big thanks to everyone who has contributed on this forum and made these DIY budget builds pretty straight forward. Anyways,
My turbo surged itself to DEATH whilst cruising down the highway at 3300 RPM.
I bought what I though was a used Turbonetics T3 super 60 off of eBay and rebuilt it.
After it died, I measured both the turbine, and compressor wheels only to find out it was actually a T3T04B, and at highway cruising speed RPM I was actually well within that surge line. Iím an idiot for not checking this before I installed, I know.
Afyer seeing Brainís build and dyno sheets of his T3 S60, i knew that was the route I wanted to go down. Goal is 250whp with room to grow to 300.

What I need is some help finding either a new or used Turbonetics T3 60 trim, or T3 super 60 trim with a 5 bolt discharge even if it needs rebuilt. I talked with Reggie at Turbonetics today to order mine, and l found out theyíre discontinuing the S60 and 60 trim T3, and replacing them with newer models here in about a month or two.
My big snag is I just shelled out about $500 for Corky to make me this beautiful tank of a t3 manifold with an external waste gate flange.plus, I just had a turbo back exhaust made. Hence the reason for staying away from any T2 flange turbos.
Any help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated, thanks everyone !
Cars-and-Guitars is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:04 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 552
Total Cats: -29
Default

ATP turbo can make you a GT2560 with a T3 housing. That would fit your needs nicely
andyfloyd is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:07 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 552
Total Cats: -29
Default

andyfloyd is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 AM
  #4  
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 30
Total Cats: -6
Default

What are you looking for as far as flow and spool? I put a really "nice " Chinese Garrett 3071 copy on mine and it has a t3 Inlet with a 3" V Band out. It does have a 53mm compressor inducer, but the turbine is a reasonable size, so with the .63AR, it spools better than the 50.5mm T04e I had on there before.

It also has an anti surge housing on there that seriously makes it sound like a ******* dump truck turbo spooling up anytime you touch the gas pedal. I absolutely can not get enough of the sound.

I don't remember the eBay seller, but I'm sure you could find it just by searching. I think I paid $220 for it a couple months back.

Actually nvm I'll just paste the name of it here to make it easy:
GT30 GT3071 A/R 0.5/0.63 Vband Anti-Surge Universal Performance Turbo T3 Flange

I should warn you that I had a weird problem where either my manifold let something loose at idle, or something fell off inside the turbo, because it stopped spinning one day, so I emailed them and had to have them send me another core.

However, since this is my daily, I tried spinning the shaft manually after it cooled down, and something made a crunch, it got real smooth, then the turbo started working beautifully like nothing ever happened. And I have a new spare supercore now.
TruboNB is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:17 PM
  #5  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default

@Andyfloyd, thanks youíre the man!!
I had no idea gt25ís could come with a T3 flange. I called today to check availability, and will be placing my order tonight.
Where do you guys run your water lines to the turbo? I have the M-tuned coolant reroute. Water to the turbo from the back of head head, and water out from the turbo to where ? The lower coolant hose metal line from the radiator piperhaps ?
Cars-and-Guitars is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 PM
  #6  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by TruboNB View Post
What are you looking for as far as flow and spool? I put a really "nice " Chinese Garrett 3071 copy on mine and it has a t3 Inlet with a 3" V Band out. It does have a 53mm compressor inducer, but the turbine is a reasonable size, so with the .63AR, it spools better than the 50.5mm T04e I had on there before.

It also has an anti surge housing on there that seriously makes it sound like a ******* dump truck turbo spooling up anytime you touch the gas pedal. I absolutely can not get enough of the sound.

I don't remember the eBay seller, but I'm sure you could find it just by searching. I think I paid $220 for it a couple months back.

Actually nvm I'll just paste the name of it here to make it easy:
GT30 GT3071 A/R 0.5/0.63 Vband Anti-Surge Universal Performance Turbo T3 Flange

I should warn you that I had a weird problem where either my manifold let something loose at idle, or something fell off inside the turbo, because it stopped spinning one day, so I emailed them and had to have them send me another core.

However, since this is my daily, I tried spinning the shaft manually after it cooled down, and something made a crunch, it got real smooth, then the turbo started working beautifully like nothing ever happened. And I have a new spare supercore now.
i thought about going down the eBay rout, because I buy a lot of **** through eBay. But, I just did trust some to be perfectly balanced coming from eBay, and didnít want to risk it with those blades spinning at 150,000 RPM lol
Cars-and-Guitars is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM
  #7  
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Total Cats: 0
Default

Run your cooling from back of head and to manifold right at the water pump inlet.
parrainx is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 552
Total Cats: -29
Default

Awesome man!! Water lines I run from the front of the engine. There is a hose on the timing cover that you remove and can then run the feed and return from those nipples.

Originally Posted by Cars-and-Guitars View Post
@Andyfloyd, thanks youíre the man!!
I had no idea gt25ís could come with a T3 flange. I called today to check availability, and will be placing my order tonight.
Where do you guys run your water lines to the turbo? I have the M-tuned coolant reroute. Water to the turbo from the back of head head, and water out from the turbo to where ? The lower coolant hose metal line from the radiator piperhaps ?
andyfloyd is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 01:29 PM
  #9  
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 14,388
Total Cats: 1,328
Default

Originally Posted by Cars-and-Guitars View Post
i thought about going down the eBay rout, because I buy a lot of **** through eBay. But, I just did trust some to be perfectly balanced coming from eBay, and didnít want to risk it with those blades spinning at 150,000 RPM lol
Just so you know the Garrett T3 that braineack ran worked worse then the Chinacharger clone he switched to. It is roughly the same turbo I use now on my setups.
shuiend is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
curly
Miata parts for sale/trade
4
04-27-2019 08:36 PM
TruboNB
DIY Turbo Discussion
7
04-26-2019 05:57 PM
andyNB
Meet and Greet
9
04-25-2019 09:45 PM
90civichhb
DIY Turbo Discussion
1
04-23-2019 03:27 PM
radulepy
DIY Turbo Discussion
9
04-19-2019 07:38 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Help


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.