what compression ratio for more boost - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,409
Total Cats: 19
Default

If money is not really the main issue here and want to do it right the first time around, then you really need to find a donor 94-97 engine for about $300-$400. You could look for a 99-00 with the better head for $800-$1000, but that may be more than you want to spend. You are already going to be spending a good $1700-$2000 to get everything and build the engine. That $300-$400 will be make a huge difference and it is very easy to do.

Trust me you will kick youself later for not finding a decent donor motor and swapping that in with it.

I am going to go the belfab kit route here in the next few weeks too. Looks to be a decent kit, especially for the price. FWIW, I am going with the 9.0, but you may want to go with the 8.5 with that much boost.
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
If money is not really the main issue here and want to do it right the first time around, then you really need to find a donor 94-97 engine for about $300-$400. You could look for a 99-00 with the better head for $800-$1000, but that may be more than you want to spend. You are already going to be spending a good $1700-$2000 to get everything and build the engine. That $300-$400 will be make a huge difference and it is very easy to do.

Trust me you will kick youself later for not finding a decent donor motor and swapping that in with it.

I am going to go the belfab kit route here in the next few weeks too. Looks to be a decent kit, especially for the price. FWIW, I am going with the 9.0, but you may want to go with the 8.5 with that much boost.
I think he's on the other side of the pond
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
I did, but at the same time, I know you guys hate to see this place fill up with dum noobs the same way I hate to see this place fill up with eleventy billion Catman style "fix yer grammar" posts.
It's not like it's overly difficult to type decent. Pretty sure I'm not the only one that hates reading blocks of words with no punctuation or capitalization. And the fact that it's usually a newb who also failed to search doesn't help either.

This forum is getting full of more BULLSHIT every day.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,409
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
I think he's on the other side of the pond
Oh yeah, might not be as cheap as I thought then. But come on it cuoldn't be that much to ship 250lbs internationally can it. I'm sure you know it's real cheap right?
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,084
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
This forum is getting full of more BULLSHIT every day.
I know I keep stepping in it...

like rharris said, a 1.8 block with the 99 head is the way to go. If you are going to try to push 25psi then you might as well get a good flowing head and some good cams so that you can make the most power for you pressure, since it seems you are going to go big power.
mazda/nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmalc View Post
possibly a little jelousy from patsmx5 and saml01 because i want to run 25psi of boost :(
ahahahhahahahahahahahahaahhaa.

Throwing money at a shitty engine and an even shittier car is something to be jealous over?

I'm jealous that an idiot like you can get through life typing the way you do.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
Oh yeah, might not be as cheap as I thought then. But come on it cuoldn't be that much to ship 250lbs internationally can it. I'm sure you know it's real cheap right?
Yeah; right!
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Weird. The language has their name on it. People from over there with class are typically very particular about how it's used. And the rest are where West Virginia came from. My apologies to any tarheels who may be offended by that.

If the OP doesn't run some kind of air filter on that turbo, he should be banned from all forums for life.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #29
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
It's not like it's overly difficult to type decent. Pretty sure I'm not the only one that hates reading blocks of words with no punctuation or capitalization. And the fact that it's usually a newb who also failed to search doesn't help either.

This forum is getting full of more BULLSHIT every day.
the lack of searching is a different issue entirely.

seriously though, i understood his question. and what confuses me a little (and I'm not picking on you, pat) is that everyone continues to help this guy even in spite of his total disregard for spelling and punctuation.

just call him an idiot and be done with it.

madmalc: here's a tip before my suggestion takes effect: try to communicate more clearly and you'll get where you want to be MUCH faster. save the cheeky chav talk for the Max Power boards or whatever.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

US and UK - Two countries separated by a common language.

Do you have any data logs or dyno graphs? I would like to see what your boost versus RPM is like with that turbo. You should be making a buttload of power already at 17 psi with a GT2876.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 350
Total Cats: -2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
Do you have any data logs or dyno graphs? I would like to see what your boost versus RPM is like with that turbo. You should be making a buttload of power already at 17 psi with a GT2876.
Compare it to Paul's setup; stock '99 long block and a GT2560R making 300 hp at the wheels on 14 psi. I'd say 25 psi isn't what he really needs.
SolarYellow510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #32
Guest
iTrader: (1)
 
ray_sir_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 714
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
It's not like it's overly difficult to type decent. Pretty sure I'm not the only one that hates reading blocks of words with no punctuation or capitalization. And the fact that it's usually a newb who also failed to search doesn't help either.
Well, if you recall, the last discussion on compression ratios turned into a rather lengthy thread. Of course, the proper answer was mentioned by me towards the beginning, so he could have just missed it in the other useless posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsmx5 View Post
This forum is getting full of more BULLSHIT every day.
I would think you would be used to it by now.

To the OP:

You want to run the highest CR you can without crossing the knock thresh-hold. Seeing as the premium gas on the other side of the pond is a higher octane, you could do well with a 9:1CR and still not have any issues with a good size turbo, a good FMIC, and some good tuning. You could even go with something higher (9.5+:1) and run some water/meth to keep it from knocking. My advice, goto a tuner and engine builder with experience with Miatas. What part of the UK are you in? I have know a few shops in N. Ireland that would be able to help you.
ray_sir_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #33
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saml01 View Post
ahahahhahahahahahahahahaahhaa.

Throwing money at a shitty engine and an even shittier car is something to be jealous over?
lets see your bag of **** then

my spec

gt2876r turbo (ball bearing garret)
t3 actuator 17psi sping
inconel tubular manifold
3" turbo back

3 angled oversized valves
titainium valve springs
solid lifters
obx stage 2 cams
vernier pulleys
ported and polished head
port matched inlet and exhaust manifolds
RC750cc low imp injector
tunertoyz dual feed rail
walbo 225 fuel pump
sard afpr

4lb flywheel
6 puk padle clutch
quaife straight cut gearbox
concentric release bearing
balanced prop and uprated uj's
1800 diff casing cusco lsd

gaz coilovers
fm antiroll bars
rose jointed drop links
rose jointed adjustable rear top arms
rose jointed front track control arms with drop spaces
lock stop spacers
fully poly bushed

hispec 4pot billet calipers
2 piece split front discs alloy bell and steel brake surface
mintex race pads
mk2.5 279mm grooved rear discs
mintec race pads
willwood brake bias valve
hydraulic handbrake (slave cylinder mounted to standard handle)
braided flexi's

rota 16x7 front wheels
rota 16x8 rear wheels
yokohama tyres

hydra nemis engine managment (self tuned)
etb instruments digi dash
momo carbon fibre seats
trs 5point harnesses


........................some how i very much doubt a shitty car, oh and its got nitrous
madmalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #34
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,372
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmalc View Post
lets see your bag of **** then
Suuper tempted to go find a pile of dog poo and throw it in a Ziploc.

madmalc, the only thing less impressive than whipping out a page-long parts list to try to prove that you're somehow better than someone else is whipping that parts list out after asking such a basic question. There have been multiple discussions about what compression ratios various people have gone with and for what reasons, and all of those threads can be turned up with a little use of the search function.

If you intend to stick around, I would suggest you not only learn to use the search function, but your shift keys as well - you invented the damn language, so you should use it properly. If that sounds elitist, it's because it is. This isn't Hondatech, and we don't talk like we're on MySpace. Asking intelligent questions with proper grammar will trigger informed, intelligent, and coherent responses like you've never seen on any other forum; asking stupid questions without capitalization will get you a thread full of bullshit. Take your pick.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

Jealous?

Die.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #36
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Cackalackey
Posts: 716
Total Cats: 2
Default

I just read through two pages of posts and realized there is no useful information here except a lesson in English. Maybe there should be some educated responses and useful information provided. Stop the child talk and get to business or don't answer his post. It is not required from forum members to answer to every post. If you don't have anything to add DON'T ANSWER. If the bull **** about English did not come across there might be some useful information here.
musanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #37
Guest
iTrader: (1)
 
ray_sir_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 714
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musanovic View Post
I just read through two pages of posts and realized there is no useful information here except a lesson in English. Maybe there should be some educated responses and useful information provided. Stop the child talk and get to business or don't answer his post. It is not required from forum members to answer to every post. If you don't have anything to add DON'T ANSWER. If the bull **** about English did not come across there might be some useful information here.
You missed a post:

Quote:
You want to run the highest CR you can without crossing the knock thresh-hold. Seeing as the premium gas on the other side of the pond is a higher octane, you could do well with a 9:1CR and still not have any issues with a good size turbo, a good FMIC, and some good tuning. You could even go with something higher (9.5+:1) and run some water/meth to keep it from knocking. My advice, goto a tuner and engine builder with experience with Miatas. What part of the UK are you in? I have know a few shops in N. Ireland that would be able to help you.
ray_sir_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #38
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR View Post
8.5:1 Supertech pistons.

Belfab rods.
for shizzle.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #39
Junior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South of Houston, Texas
Posts: 329
Total Cats: 0
Default

Wouldn't want to race him. He might beat even me if he is sprayin'.

Better check the welds on your intake man.
mikef85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Isnt the answer to this question sort of simple? What ratio? A lower one. 9:1 is pretty common for the higher power guys, so common sense would tell you shoot for the same or lower.
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.