Analyse My Timing Map - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


ECUs and Tuning Discuss Engine Management, Tuning, & Programming

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default Analyse My Timing Map

I have just finished installing my built BP4W and am currently breaking it in. The new engine has Ealge Rods and Carrillo Pistons (9:1cr), fully balanced rotating assembly,ARP Head studs and a GT2871. This timing map was running on my stock 230k BP4W with no DET at 12.5psi on a 2554. Was curious on you guys opinions about were my map should/might need improving with the new setup. I plan on moving the boost up to 15psi if my WRX 440's allow.



Attached Thumbnails
Analyse My Timing Map-20141103_210910_zps08bbd478.jpeg  

Last edited by jmuse8482; 11-03-2014 at 11:30 PM.
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Well I have changed my Map twice since the post above, Ill post both.

Second Map :
Attached Thumbnails
Analyse My Timing Map-ignitionmap2.jpg  
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Third Attempt
Attached Thumbnails
Analyse My Timing Map-ignitionmap3.jpg  
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

only glanced at the map, but why are you reducing timing in vacuum with each revision? is it pinging or something?
the original map running 38* was fine. also you can run around 26-27 all the way up to 100kpa.

15psi on the 71 should be 250-300 wheel, I'd be surprised if the 440's could support that.

I'd run somewhere in the 15-20* range at 205kpa peak load slowly tapering up toward redline if the engine is happy with that (since you're built). obviously would smoothly taper from 27* @ 100kpa to the 15-20* @ 205kpa

*edit: your last one is about right at full boost (I'm assuming 15psi like you said), just bump the low load timing back up like I was saying
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
only glanced at the map, but why are you reducing timing in vacuum with each revision? is it pinging or something?
the original map running 38* was fine. also you can run around 26-27 all the way up to 100kpa.

15psi on the 71 should be 250-300 wheel, I'd be surprised if the 440's could support that.

I'd run somewhere in the 15-20* range at 205kpa peak load slowly tapering up toward redline if the engine is happy with that (since you're built). obviously would smoothly taper from 27* @ 100kpa to the 15-20* @ 205kpa

*edit: your last one is about right at full boost (I'm assuming 15psi like you said), just bump the low load timing back up like I was saying


No, it wasn't pinging. But even at 15psi on the 71 im still getting 11.5 AFR's. Here is one i did up real quick.
Attached Thumbnails
Analyse My Timing Map-ignitionmap4.jpg  
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

That looks better. You can likely run even more past 117 since there's no reason for dropping 5* of timing with only 1 psi of boost increase. Anything after that will require det cans or a proper knock sensor
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
That looks better. You can likely run even more past 117 since there's no reason for dropping 5* of timing with only 1 psi of boost increase. Anything after that will require det cans or a proper knock sensor

Okay i just did a little more to it. But, more past 117kpa... How far up the MAP.? Im almost a little nervous adding any more LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Analyse My Timing Map-ignitionmap5.jpg  
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,165
Total Cats: 2,573
Default

I don't know. But 150kpa is still only like 7psi so at least til then. just make it smooth and gradual, which you've done a pretty decent job of doing so far.

past that, det can time

if anything this will get you much healthier part throttle part load torque

with a built engine and good gas, you're still in relatively conservative territory
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I don't know. But 150kpa is still only like 7psi so at least til then. just make it smooth and gradual, which you've done a pretty decent job of doing so far.

past that, det can time

if anything this will get you much healthier part throttle part load torque

with a built engine and good gas, you're still in relatively conservative territory
Car has nothing but 93 since i have owned it. But whats kinda making me nervous, is that i have a built engine, but all ready had it built before i had found out about needing billet oil pump gears and or ati balancer.... Which i have neither.. Im waiting for money to get right so i can get a balancer because im really not digging pulling the motor right now.
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Thanks for all the help by the way! Analyse My Timing Map-davesmiata1.jpg

Analyse My Timing Map-finalmap2a.jpg

Analyse My Timing Map-finalmap3d.jpg
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 781
Default

Show us your old rods! And your shattered 5spd!
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Oil pump and balancer are only really needed if you plan on going above 7200rpms or so. If you are keeping the stock redline I would not worry about them to much.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Oil pump and balancer are only really needed if you plan on going above 7200rpms or so. If you are keeping the stock redline I would not worry about them to much.
Thats good to hear. Makes me feel a little better anyways.
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Show us your old rods! And your shattered 5spd!
Well here is the rods, I dont have the transmission taken apart yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Analyse My Timing Map-bent-rods.jpg  
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bartlett, Tn
Posts: 107
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuse8482 View Post
Thanks for all the help by the way! Attachment 130709

Attachment 130710

Attachment 130711

Okay, Engine is definitely not happy with this map. I heard Detonation in the higher Rpms in boost. Couldn't really tell while driving were in the map it was occurring, but it looked like it was coming from the 177kpa area around 4k +. I started dialing the entire boosted section of the map down .5 degrees increments at a time. I did stop hearing it till i backed it out 1.5 degrees. I need to get some DET cans.

I may need to go back and check my base timing again as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Analyse My Timing Map-newmap.jpg  

Last edited by jmuse8482; 01-09-2015 at 10:04 PM.
jmuse8482 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
In need of base map for stock 1997 brandonbkd MEGAsquirt 0 09-29-2015 12:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.