NB Cam Angle Sensor Heatsoak/Failure - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


ECUs and Tuning Discuss Engine Management, Tuning, & Programming

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #121
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Just cast plastic. This stuff should work. TC-1650 A/B - Casting Epoxy - Epoxy Make a urethane or silicone mold over a 3d printed part and then drop this **** into the mold. Price really aint bad.

I think I could print adapters and include sensors for about the price of a beck arnley stock cam sensor and make ok money.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #122
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

So why go with that sensor over OEM/Evo? It's bigger - not terrible but perhaps tight on VVT motors.

If it's just to save the $10 over buying the factory part, ok - but if you're only competing on price you gotta know that from the beginning. :-) They'd have to work better. I can see it being cleaner than the OEM Mazda one, but the EVO one seems (electrically) fantastic - though it doesn't like the VVT's doublet.

Does this one?
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #123
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

I thought the evo sensor didnt quite work right.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #124
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,992
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I thought the evo sensor didnt quite work right.
It does with abes wheel
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #125
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Oh, then **** it.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #126
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Finer words were never spoken. :-)

That's why I want to get a small batch together, so there is more testing than "It worked for Abe". :-)
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #127
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFM View Post
Finer words were never spoken. :-)

That's why I want to get a small batch together, so there is more testing than "It worked for Abe". :-)
Any updates?
noname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #128
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Huh. No.

Let me ask my guy. :-)
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:20 AM   #129
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Made a small change. Profiled the teeth more like the OEM. Not sure if that's why EVO sensor doesn't like them, I've been assuming it was the gap.

Anyway, guess it would be good to get interest levels - should I order two or ten, folks? Does anyone have VVT who'd be willing to chip in $5 + whatever the cheapest reasonable shipping is to try it out?

I'm literally unemployed here folks so I just want to cover costs. If it ends up being less I'll get the shipping. :-) So far, I don't see why it's not reversible.
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #130
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,992
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

+2 here. As long as we can do sequential fuel+spark+VVT. Let me know how much and where to pay.
aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #131
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 4
Default

I would be willing to chip in to cover costs/shipping and test with my VVT engine. Please let me know the details.
noname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #132
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFM View Post
Made a small change. Profiled the teeth more like the OEM. Not sure if that's why EVO sensor doesn't like them, I've been assuming it was the gap.

Anyway, guess it would be good to get interest levels - should I order two or ten, folks? Does anyone have VVT who'd be willing to chip in $5 + whatever the cheapest reasonable shipping is to try it out?

I'm literally unemployed here folks so I just want to cover costs. If it ends up being less I'll get the shipping. :-) So far, I don't see why it's not reversible.
AbeFM, any news or updates? If this isn't going to happen, I need to figure out a plan "B".

Anyone else have ideas for a solution? Is there any adjustment with a Rev built MS3X that would help?

We had the car out on the track a week or so ago and experienced the cut outs consistently when sitting on the rev limiter through a corner with a hot engine (my son was drifting). Let the car sit for 20-30 minutes with the hood up to cool off and it would run great with no issues with the exact same usage/time at or near the rev limiter.
noname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #133
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Bam, done. PM me addresses. I've got a few. Sorry for the delay folks.

Got parts a couple days ago, but wanted to make a real thread for the topic. I can do this after I ship. :-)
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #134
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFM View Post
Bam, done. PM me addresses. I've got a few. Sorry for the delay folks.

Got parts a couple days ago, but wanted to make a real thread for the topic. I can do this after I ship. :-)
PM sent.

Thanks!
noname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #135
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Great! Just waiting to see who else is in. As it stands right now (unless people want me to source the other parts which could add time but potentially save money) I just need to clean up the outer surface on the lathe (a few minutes each) and ship.

You'll have to get the Protege wheel (you can use it as is or modify it to match other popular configurations like the FM or 949 crank triggers) and the Evo sensor. I'll get part numbers put together in a single post soon.

TL;DR: If you want in let me know soon. Parts in hand, shipping soon. Instructions will be provided.
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #136
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Shipped two of them out. I made a couple styles in case the 'best' one didn't work, but it seems like they work even better than the one on my car. You guys can use your current sensor, or get the "evo 8" sensor Emilio found: "Beck Arnley 184-0401 CAS for Evo 8. $37.41 off Amazon".
I've used both without issue. I should experiment with different pull-ups.

Cleaning up outer diameter on lathe



I tested with all 3 sensors (OEM, Mistu-replacement, and the Evo sensor) and they all worked fine - and you could be off by quite a bit and they still worked.





You can be really off center with this sensor!





Off by about half a diameter with the Evo sensor






A few, cleaned up but not sonicated
Attached Thumbnails
NB Cam Angle Sensor Heatsoak/Failure-80-20160402_103253_x2_51f3af8dd488336e520e06e790becab8f5245bb7.jpg   NB Cam Angle Sensor Heatsoak/Failure-80-20160402_132530_x2_ffe86f88c7914c99c586e7246ad3bdbba348ffe2.jpg   NB Cam Angle Sensor Heatsoak/Failure-80-20160402_131504_x2_a6cafa4c4ed936416fcf2e8ae13eb4bcef0562f6.jpg   NB Cam Angle Sensor Heatsoak/Failure-80-20160402_114850_x2_6c2603a4a980fb7095cf2c71fea63c85a34c2a07.jpg  
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #137
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 4
Default

Payment sent!

When you get a chance, if you could post up some instructions, it would be great. You mentioned needing the Protege wheel (crank?) and Evo sensor, then said that the OEM sensor would work as well...

I am starting with the OEM NB2 VVT setup/parts, including sensors and crank wheel with 4 teeth. If you could clarify which combination of parts you recommend (or that will work). Any "pointers" on whether changes will be required in the MS3 configuration would also be of great help. I don't need spoon feeding, but it would be nice start off in the right direction :-)

I appreciate you whipping these up and shipping them so quickly!
noname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #138
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Yeah, absolutely - I'll get something up pretty quick, probably in its own thread.

Basically, in TunerStudio, you change it from "miata VVT" or whatever to "Poll-Level" (I think) and get it to match the settings. There's an offset you pick between the missing tooth and the long tooth on my wheel/your cam. You pick that offset when you put the wheel on the cam so think twice about it (you don't need to do this first, you gotta get other parts). I'll put something together on that but not off the top of my head, buzzed. :-)

ANY reliable missing tooth wheel (I think they have to be consecutive missing teeth, but I'm far from solid on that - if interested, ask me!) on the crank will do. The 949 and FM dampers I'm sure would be fine - if you bought me one I'd swap it out. But for the money, there's a stock wheel off a protege (search like protege trigger wheel, or I'll post it later) that you can get for like $15 or something. You unbolt your pulley, drop the miata one in the trash, slip this one under the pulley when you put it back on and you're on the road, as is (and some TS settings!)

This should give you better VVT control and faster starting, over all more skip-resistant running.... But you really need to:

Buy the other sensor! My wheel might make enough difference that it'll work with the stock sensor, but the hope here is that the far nicer electronics of the Evo sensor won't be as prone to failure under nasty conditions.

Lastly, you can look into modding the pull up resistor on the circuit to keep heat down. This is part of the "development process" but I've been running it for a while without a single issue.


TD;DR: Search "Protege Trigger Wheel", it's $15, buy it or use any other regularly spaced missing tooth wheel you fancy on the crank - supermiata dampers included.
Probably should get Evo8 sensor ("Beck Arnley 184-0401 CAS for Evo 8. $37.41 off Amazon").
Have a megasquirt 3 or be prepared for an unknown amount of heartache getting it working. :-)

Access to a press good to have. Even a weak one or gear puller or *possibly* a mallet should do.
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #139
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 138
Total Cats: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFM View Post
Yeah, absolutely - I'll get something up pretty quick, probably in its own thread.

Basically, in TunerStudio, you change it from "miata VVT" or whatever to "Poll-Level" (I think) and get it to match the settings. There's an offset you pick between the missing tooth and the long tooth on my wheel/your cam. You pick that offset when you put the wheel on the cam so think twice about it (you don't need to do this first, you gotta get other parts). I'll put something together on that but not off the top of my head, buzzed. :-)

ANY reliable missing tooth wheel (I think they have to be consecutive missing teeth, but I'm far from solid on that - if interested, ask me!) on the crank will do. The 949 and FM dampers I'm sure would be fine - if you bought me one I'd swap it out. But for the money, there's a stock wheel off a protege (search like protege trigger wheel, or I'll post it later) that you can get for like $15 or something. You unbolt your pulley, drop the miata one in the trash, slip this one under the pulley when you put it back on and you're on the road, as is (and some TS settings!)

This should give you better VVT control and faster starting, over all more skip-resistant running.... But you really need to:

Buy the other sensor! My wheel might make enough difference that it'll work with the stock sensor, but the hope here is that the far nicer electronics of the Evo sensor won't be as prone to failure under nasty conditions.

Lastly, you can look into modding the pull up resistor on the circuit to keep heat down. This is part of the "development process" but I've been running it for a while without a single issue.


TD;DR: Search "Protege Trigger Wheel", it's $15, buy it or use any other regularly spaced missing tooth wheel you fancy on the crank - supermiata dampers included.
Probably should get Evo8 sensor ("Beck Arnley 184-0401 CAS for Evo 8. $37.41 off Amazon").
Have a megasquirt 3 or be prepared for an unknown amount of heartache getting it working. :-)

Access to a press good to have. Even a weak one or gear puller or *possibly* a mallet should do.

Received the new cam trigger wheel. Thanks for sending it so quickly.

1) The Evo sensor and crank wheel sound straightforward enough.
2) Is experimenting with the pull up resistor required with a MS3? (I have a Rev built MS3X.)
3) Can you elaborate on the offset concern/issue when installing the new cam trigger wheel? I understand the concept that the ECU needs to know the relationship of the short and long teeth vs the position of the cam/engine... However, would be nice to know how to position the wheel and determine the offsets to use in TS though :-)

Thanks again for all of your help.
noname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #140
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
AbeFM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,048
Total Cats: 8
Default

Sorry for the tardy reply, I had family in town this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname4me View Post
2) Is experimenting with the pull up resistor required with a MS3? (I have a Rev built MS3X.)
I'm frankly not entirely sure about the resistor. I don't have your circuit (what does Rev use? You could check with him on this). I think I used a 1k pull up in my testing - the highest value that works consistently is the right answer. I would say start without worrying about it, revisit if it's not working. You could also see if it's getting hot - but I don't think it will. Measuring the current draw is likely a great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname4me View Post
3) Can you elaborate on the offset concern/issue when installing the new cam trigger wheel? I understand the concept that the ECU needs to know the relationship of the short and long teeth vs the position of the cam/engine... However, would be nice to know how to position the wheel and determine the offsets to use in TS though :-)
There is a little something to this. Anything will work, but I think you can do a bit better.
In short, you want the missing tooth to be somewhere sane (a few teeth before the earliest you'd even have an ignition event - thought they are only 15 teeth apart anyway) - and of course, since the sensor is at about 5 pm angle on the crank pulley, that's where it needs to be (so call it 90* from vertical when the motor is at TDC #1.

You also want to make sure the poll has happened before that ignition event. The poll should happen at/just after the missing tooth (otherwise you have to wait a while for it to come around). Keep in mind the cam moves with VVT, so basically, at full advance, you want SOMETHING like this:

Trailing edge of short cam tooth to be clear of the sensor when your "read" comes up - telling Tuner Studio how many teeth after missing tooth to make the read. I'd shoot for 1, or 2. Pick that position to be in the middle of the long tooth (I think I went with 57* "poll tooth width" on this one) at the Xth tooth after the gap.

Does that make sense conceptually? I can get some numbers together as long as the process sounds reasonable, and you know what wheel you're using. In real life, I based it largely off where the stock wheel was - marking cam with awl (and original cam wheel, in case I need to put it back) then used that to orient the wheel.

You have some 15* of slop I think, and you can look up the "right" tooth from the logs once you get it all assembled. Any misalignments here will only cost you fractions of a second on start up - everything else you can fix in software.

Let me know if I'm making sense, and I'll get you some numbers when I do. You're going to use the protege wheel?
AbeFM is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.